Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2022, 05:14 PM   #1

Leveling Jack Issue

I have a 2017 Greyhawk 31FS and it has the Equalizer System leveling jacks. They were working all summer and then one weekend they stopped. I have gone through the EQ trouble shooting guide. I have power to everything but when I push the power button on the key pad they won’t power up. I’m thinking the issue is either the controller or the keypad. I do know that in 2018 they moved the controller from being mounted up on the chassis to in the storage compartment where the 30A cord is stored. So maybe there was an issue with the controller failing due to exposure to the elements. Has anyone had an issue with their jacks and maybe know a fix before I spend the $900+ on a new controller and keypad?
Bfournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
RPR

I know they change things. With our 2018 31DS the parking brake has to be set and engine running. No clue as to how many sensors there may be.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #3

Are you connected to shore power or running your generator? If not it may be a bad battery under load
Djoannides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:57 PM   #4

Check the ground wire at the pump/brace area
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:27 AM   #5

Having had a similar issue, If your getting a low voltage reading on the lever screen then i would first check the ground wire at the pump.

If leveler screen is blank then There is also a fuse at the pump to check then i would would check the controller. In our rig the 2018 Greyhawk it is in the power cord storage compartment mounted on the top side of the compartment. I found that in this location the wires can become dislodged from coiling in the shore cord.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:42 AM   #6

I have 12 volts at both the key pad and the controller. My controller is mounted above the rear axle below the floor. I think it is suppose to be high out of the elements, but I am sure stuff can get at it. That’s why it was moved to the compartment.
Old 03-18-2022, 06:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Check the ground wire at the pump/brace area

That was my problem on our '20 Precept 31UL. There are a couple of small wire connections on the pump, neither of which had a substantial lock or star washer to prevent them from backing out; only a slightly serrated washer that didn't do much. Bought a couple of lock washers, installed them, and no issues since.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 07:09 AM   #8

I’ll take a look at those. Thanks! We are heading to the Keys in less than a month and I need to ge the is issue resolved.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:49 AM   #9

On mine it was the ground to the chassis/frame too. Debugged by using jumper cables to connect power and ground direct to the house battery.

Also - when I called/emailed Equalizer, they were extremely helpful! They patiently helped me debug and fix. I'll always reach out to them again for any issue.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #10

Ground wire broken from pump to frame on my last trip out in January 2022.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:29 AM   #11

I spent a lot of time searching for the ground on the chassis. The only one I found there were several wires grounded to it and no broken wires. It was located on the frame between the generator and the battery compartments. I did find what appears to be a grounding block on the side of the pump and Cleaned all of the connections, still power to the key pad and controller but well not power up when the button is pushed.. I did test a couple of the sensors ( ignition on and emergency brake not set) to see if the lights came on. The light next to the power button does blink every few seconds and I have read that this is like a heartbeat coming from the controller.I am going to call Equalizer today hopefully I get some answers.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfournier View Post
I have 12 volts at both the key pad and the controller. My controller is mounted above the rear axle below the floor. I think it is suppose to be high out of the elements, but I am sure stuff can get at it. That’s why it was moved to the compartment.

If I recall the autolevel stop working when the voltage drops below 11 volts. Manual option may work

I would check the ground wire at the pump take it off clean it
Old 03-21-2022, 06:50 AM   #13

The key pad will not power up when the power button it pressed. I cleaned up the ground on the pump. There is a low voltage sensor light on the key pad so if it was low I would assume it would light up. I did check it with a meter and it has 12 volts going to it. Even tried to see if it would work with the generator on.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
... I did check it with a meter and it has 12 volts going to it. Even tried to see if it would work with the generator on.
That is too low, it should be at least 12.4 volts. If the battery is only providing twelve volts, you have a problem with the battery. You should be seeing upwards of 14.4 volts if you are on shore power or when you are running the generator since that is the charging voltage.

What was the voltage being seen at the control panel when the genny was running? Are you using a VOM, or a panel voltage monitor?
Old 03-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #15

Quote:
I had 12 volts at both when checking with a ssimple volt meter. But when I checked it under load at Riley’s auto it showed a bad battery. Possibly a cell shorting out that doesn’t register. How old is the house battery? Did you try running the levelers when connected to shore power?
Djoannides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 11:06 AM   #16

The battery is not a year old yet. I do not have a 30 amp hookup at my house and I do a lot of dry camping during the summer. I’ll have to have the battery tested.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #17

Bulb testers for battery, and watt testers are a must.

Helped a lady yesterday out dry camping, has had to use the override starter button for awhile. After added distilled water one cell was toast. So she knows she needs a new Cab battery.her solar system has fooled her for a few months..

More tools for your RV bag
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
I do not have a 30 amp hookup at my house

Run the generator and it'll supply the voltage you need to the jacks.
Or run the engine and the alternator will supply to voltage you need to the jacks.

Good luck w/ the call to Equalizer. Like I said, I found their support really good!
Old 03-22-2022, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
The key pad will not power up when the power button it pressed. I cleaned up the ground on the pump. There is a low voltage sensor light on the key pad so if it was low I would assume it would light up. I did check it with a meter and it has 12 volts going to it. Even tried to see if it would work with the generator on.
Silly but i have to ask you did cleaned both ends of the ground. i found that they bonded the ground onto the frame but didn't bother cleaning off the paint so the connection was poor.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:58 AM   #20

Assuming you have power to the motor, you may have a coupler issue. During the time frame you are referring to, Equalizer used a plastic coupler between the pump and the motor. When the coupler fails, the motor fails to drive the pump. The replacement coupler is metal.
randude is offline   Reply With Quote