Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-13-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Houston
Posts: 12
Leveling Jacks height

The way I purchased it, the lowest part of the leveling jacks seem pretty low and are definitely the lowest part of the vehicle. Should I move it up a bolt hole or 2? Will this cause any issues? Or, is this enough clearance?
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 4,962
Is it a 6 point system? Where is this one located?
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Houston
Posts: 12
4 point. The one in the pic is in the front about 10 inches behind the front tire.
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
bluztoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Silver Spring
Posts: 106
Seems you would want a little more clearance Clarence. (Remember the old “Airplane” movie). Those on my Melbourne aren’t quite that low.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Houston
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
Seems you would want a little more clearance Clarence. (Remember the old “Airplane” movie). Those on my Melbourne aren’t quite that low.
I think I will move it up 1 bolt hole. Shirley I remember the movie Airplane!
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 4,962
If it's close to the tire, you shouldn't have to move it. I have one that sits about a foot away from my rear tire. High enough not to bottom out. The suspension doesn't move that much to move 7 inches. If I were to tilt my 5'er backwards, the bumper would touch before the pad.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Houston
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
If it's close to the tire, you shouldn't have to move it. I have one that sits about a foot away from my rear tire. High enough not to bottom out. If I were to tilt my 5'er backwards, the bumper would touch before the pad.
I see some of your logic, but I am afraid if I go over some rough terrain that has some bumps and dips where the tires do not go over, it could hit the levelers.

Is there any NEGATIVE impact from moving them up 1 bolt hole?
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Glendale
Posts: 358
I've had mine 3 years

90% boondocking on some, well, not friendly RV roads

Never an issue.

Have rubbed my hitch outa some gas stations, that's it

Your fine

If your going over 6" rocks or dips...turn around...lol
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Southwest Florida, 250 due N of Havana
Posts: 845
The picture looks like you have Lippert's "Level-up" system. If you do, the minimum clearance LCI specifies for 4-point jacks is 6". If you do raise them make sure you have vertical clearance, and probably should be done by a certified tech for warranty purposes.

... agreeing with Stavman on this one.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:43 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Houston
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
The picture looks like you have Lippert's "Level-up" system. If you do, the minimum clearance LCI specifies for 4-point jacks is 6". If you do raise them make sure you have vertical clearance, and probably should be done by a certified tech for warranty purposes.

... agreeing with Stavman on this one.
Sounds good! I will leave it alone!
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:32 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
TWP723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abingdon
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge View Post
I see some of your logic, but I am afraid if I go over some rough terrain that has some bumps and dips where the tires do not go over, it could hit the levelers.

Is there any NEGATIVE impact from moving them up 1 bolt hole?
No, you just limit the travel and risk being out of stroke. But I don't think you'll have a problem. The only reason I say that is, mine are right behind the rear tire and closer to the ground than yours are and I've never hit them. Like I said, the bumper will drag before I hit the pads. And at that point, anything's possible.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle 328 RLTS
2021 Keystone Montana 3121RL
2013 F350 6.7L 4x4 CCLB
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
JimD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Inland Empire, California
Posts: 1,349
My 2017 Greyhawk's levelers were installed too low. They did drag at times when I was going off road with my rig. Dug a few holes in the dirt with those jacks.

I downloaded the manufacturer's installation instructions which clearly gave the height spec, which mine did not meet. I forget if I had to raise them 1 or 2 holes. I have never had any problems with leveling. I can even raise the tires off the ground. Can't imagine how high I could have gone with the jacks too low.

In any event, get the install instructions and use the manufacturer's spec. They would be the best judge of the height. I attached the manual for my levelers just in case you have the same model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Levelling Jacks.pdf (2.16 MB, 19 views)
__________________
Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W
solar & many other mods
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Houston
Posts: 12
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My 2017 Greyhawk's levelers were installed too low. They did drag at times when I was going off road with my rig. Dug a few holes in the dirt with those jacks.

I downloaded the manufacturer's installation instructions which clearly gave the height spec, which mine did not meet. I forget if I had to raise them 1 or 2 holes. I have never had any problems with leveling. I can even raise the tires off the ground. Can't imagine how high I could have gone with the jacks too low.

In any event, get the install instructions and use the manufacturer's spec. They would be the best judge of the height. I attached the manual for my levelers just in case you have the same model.
That is good info. I can easily move it up 1 bolt hole to gain some clearance and be well within the specs.
TheOtherDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: MATTAPOISETT
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherDodge View Post
The way I purchased it, the lowest part of the leveling jacks seem pretty low and are definitely the lowest part of the vehicle. Should I move it up a bolt hole or 2? Will this cause any issues? Or, is this enough clearance?


3 yrs on our rig and never hit one on the ground and we are constantly boondocking at the races, generally parked in some random corn or hay field. I would leave them alone.
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3
I raised mine 1 hole all around

2019 redhawk, too low, 1 hole up all around. I keep some 2 x 10 pieces of wood if I need more height. Way better than bottoming out and ripping off jack
Bryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:42 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tappen
Posts: 5
I can see that you remember that movie! And please stop calling me Surely
Albro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:55 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dighton
Posts: 148
The Best Part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro View Post
I can see that you remember that movie! And please stop calling me Surely
The best part was the auto pilot, I still laugh when I think of that movie.
__________________
2016 Jayco North Point 377RLBH with Jayco Luxury package, Washer, Dryer and Generator.
2020 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 diesel, dually with factory hitch and tow package, Air Lift air bags.
Dave A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.