Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #1

Leveling jacks when in storage

I recently purchased a 2009 Jayhawk 31ss. I've never had leveling jacks before and wonder if I can leave the coach "up on Jacks" when in storage. It seems the same as if one were parked for a couple of months at a time.
djmckenzie@everestkc.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #2

Hiya djmckenziel and welcome to the Jayco Ownrs Forum! We've never owned a MH so can't answer your question, but the owners here will definitely let ya know how they deal with the same issues. Keep coming back and letting us know how things go for you!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:29 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum! In my opinion you'd be better off using wood planks (2 x 12) to get her level and not leave all that weight on the jacks (assume they're hydraulic) for long periods of time. One thing you can do is phone the manufacturer of the jacks and ask if the jacks are rated to carry "X" number of pounds for several months at a time or phone the RV's manufacturer. By doing this you'd keep yourself in the clear and have a good feeling while the units in storage. For what it's worth, I owned a Class A (Southwind) and used wood rather than the leveling jacks but only had to do it one season as I had a concrete pad poured the next year, as an extension of my driveway, that allowed the coach to stay level.

Hope this helps a little.
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #4

I think that the jacks could support the weight, but may "leak down" over time. Remember though, the purpose of jacks is considered to be stabilization rather than support.
Retired and enjoying new grandson
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #5

leveling jacks

Saying that "the purpose of jacks is considered to be stabilization rather than support" isn't entirely true. It's important to distinguish between leveling jacks and stabilizing jacks. For the latter, it's very true that they serve to support or stabilize (hence the name) and not level the RV. Leveling jacks, on the other hand are rated to hold the load of the RV and stabilize it while doing so.

As for leaving the RV up on the levelers for an extended period of time - if you have access to the RV where you can check it once a week or so, when I see no problem with it. If, on the other hand, you won't be able to do that for and extended period, you might opt for leveling it with wood planks or simmilar material.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Its no recomended to leave it on your jacks for a long period of time it will put alot of pressure on your jacks over the time and you will need to change all the oring in the system it get pretty expensive hope this will help you. Happy Camping
Jayco2830g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #7

classact
Since we are talking Jayco and class C here, my statement stands. The book specifically states to not use the jacks to support the weight of the vehicle. Trailers may well have "leveling jacks", but since this portion of the forum is about Jayco class C, that is what my reference was about and I stand firm about my statement.
Retired and enjoying new grandson
leeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #8

Called the MFR for HWH Leveling jacks

Since, as of two days ago moved my Class C Grey Hawk 31SS from storage and decided to keep in the driveway which is not level, slopes away from the house and is difficult to manuever at that angle I have the levelers deployed and they did the job nicely.
My concern is these being deployed for extended periods of time, so, I called the MFR, the answer I got was that is was okay to go up to 30 days at a time and at that point exercise the system a couple of times and this would be fine. I shall keep an eye on the coach and see what developes, such as leakage, or the system not holding what it is currently at.