Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Leveling Legs

Can anybody offer any advice regarding putting anything under the leveling legs? Is this a good/bad idea? If so why or why not and what would be the best thing to use under them if it is suggest to do so?

Thanks!
TravelinTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

I don't have automatic levelers (that's why I bring wifey along, so she can set the lego blocks), but reading here, I believe many use Snap Pads on the base of the legs.

https://www.amazon.com/rv-snap-pads/s?k=rv+snap+pads
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

Yes, you can put blocks under them, often need to if you want a level rig on a unlevel pad. I carry 10 blocks to put under them and tires to get level. Seems that I can only find them on EBay when I'm looking to buy more. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200928-181453.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	64063
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:51 PM   #4

Something is better than nothing. At a nice resort campground this week, mostly Class A’s, and saw something on a walk today that had to bug my eyes out. A Class A had both front tires off the ground to level. I’m still a newbie at a little over 2 years but know better than that. Wifey said it must be a rental...
Old 09-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #5
MD3

Snap pads
I used to use plastic pads then made some wood blocks.... finally bought snap pads. Work great and no crawling around to place or pick them up.

https://rvsnappad.com/

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
Snap pads
I used to use plastic pads then made some wood blocks.... finally bought snap pads. Work great and no crawling around to place or pick them up.

https://rvsnappad.com/

-
I have looked at the snap pads and liked what I saw but unfortunately they are sold out at the mfg. I found them on other sites but at 50% premium. I'll wait until the mfg. gets additional stock. I suspect they are having supply chain issues like so many other companies. I can use wood boards until their stock comes back.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
A Class A had both front tires off the ground to level. I’m still a newbie at a little over 2 years but know better than that.
Some here have talked about that being a BIG no no, and carry a stack of lego blocks to first pre-level the rig on the tires, then do the final level with the levelers.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinTim View Post
I have looked at the snap pads and liked what I saw but unfortunately they are sold out at the mfg. I found them on other sites but at 50% premium. I'll wait until the mfg. gets additional stock. I suspect they are having supply chain issues like so many other companies. I can use wood boards until their stock comes back.

Thanks!
TravelinTim, How much are the on the snap pad website? I see they are sold out, but there is no price.
Trublu1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:49 AM   #9

I have the lego blocks for mines so now the snap pad don't let you stack them up so that the jacks don't have to go down as much so it can be more stable. Is that right?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I have the lego blocks for mines so now the snap pad don't let you stack them up so that the jacks don't have to go down as much so it can be more stable. Is that right?
You can only put one snap pad on a jack as they are attached to the jack. If you have to park in a place where you would be over extending the jacks you would still need to add some kind of block under the snap pad.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trublu1068 View Post
TravelinTim, How much are the on the snap pad website? I see they are sold out, but there is no price.
They are $109 for a set of 4. $159 for set of 6.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Can anybody offer any advice regarding putting anything under the leveling legs? Is this a good/bad idea? If so why or why not and what would be the best thing to use under them if it is suggest to do so?

Thanks!

Camping world has these yellow plastic pads with handles. and I place wood blocks between it and the jacks. And I bring a good number of wood blocks to cut down on the extension of the jack pistons.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Some here have talked about that being a BIG no no, and carry a stack of lego blocks to first pre-level the rig on the tires, then do the final level with the levelers.
Which lego blocks do you use? Most have good reviews but the bad reviews point to cracking, breaking or even shattering. Prices range dramatically to. Anywhere from $19 to $40 for a set of 10.

Also, when you place them under the rear wheels do you need them under both dualys given you will be leveling with the jacks?
Old 09-29-2020, 06:55 AM   #14

I put the lego blocks under mine every time I setup. It saves on wear and tear movement of the leveling leg seals. Also in areas that are really out of level it will help with getting extra height if needed.
These are the blocks I use https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #15
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Which lego blocks do you use? Most have good reviews but the bad reviews point to cracking, breaking or even shattering. Prices range dramatically to. Anywhere from $19 to $40 for a set of 10.

Also, when you place them under the rear wheels do you need them under both dualys given you will be leveling with the jacks?
I bought 2- 10 packs of Lynx levelers. They do flex at times, depending on the ground, but I've seen no cracking. $30 at Amazon now.

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-0001...1393875&sr=8-2

Yeah, you need to put them under both rear wheels, to help support the weight.

I was seriously thinking of adding the power levelers to my rig, since it didn't come with them. But we've gotten really good at just leveling with the blocks. Once I back in, I take a walk around the rig to determine what I think each corner needs, then we both quickly place them, and I drive up on them. Takes 5 minutes. I don't see a need to add the power leverlers now.

It's a rare situation that I need to make any adjustments or changes once set.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #16

Thanks Guys!

I appreciate the comments. It really helps to flatten the learning curve!

I'll get some on order!
Old 09-29-2020, 02:03 PM   #17

Wood is cheap and strong. You can use 2 by whatever and stack them. Legos tend to dent asphalt and break after a few years,
Attached Thumbnails
20181006_153301.jpg  
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #18

Leveling pads...

I have two sets, yellow and red, lego-style leveling blocks.

I have a 5W NorthPoint. I keep plenty of blocks, because even with my auto leveler (which doesn't work all the time) I sometimes need more lift room in front to disconnect. BUT, that shortens my range on coming back down (once disconnected) to level. It's always a guessing game; I do go around and try to determine once I disconnect from tow vehicle whether I need more or less on side-to-side leveling.

Sometimes, if pad under front of camper is slanted, I put less pads under left front jack, more under right front jack (or vice-versa), because it sort of 'pre-levels' at front when I disconnect. After that I then look at rear camper bumper, and decide how many I need left and right to level rear side-to-side.

THEN, if I haven't taken to much of my downward stride after disconnect, I get a fair range to level whole camper. There have been times when I put too many under front jacks, and couldn't drop enough to level the rig back to front, because I run out of downward stroke to drop front of camper enough.

I DON'T like lifting tires off pavement. That's way too much strain on jacks.
(I have a Lippert Ground Control 3.0 six point system.)
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #19

We have the Red Anderson (buckets) so we can't use the snap pads. There's mixed reviews on the Anderson red buckets. Some have had problems with them cracking or breaking. So far so good for us. We have a 2019 Jayco 317RLOK which mfgr claims 12,750 weight. We really like the Anderson buckets, less extension of front jacks. We use them for the back jacks as well, and they barely come down because of them.
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:16 PM   #20

I have the lego blocks and don't use them very often. But I do use boards.
I have 8"x2"x5 foot boards for leveling under the tires on my 5th wheel.
I also have 1/2"x12"x12" plywood boards (cut from a sheet of 4'x4') I placed
I hooks on one end of each and attached a 12" length of yellow rope for grabbing.