Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #1

Leveling with blocks

What do you guys use under the rear duals for leveling up purposes.
I have leveling jacks but I like to get the coach decently level prior to using the jacks.

Just wondering what type of board or blocks you use that both tires can rest on. One platform for both tires or one for each tire? Any ideas will help.
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #2

We use Anderson levelers ....

Here's a link that shows how they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titleman View Post
What do you guys use under the rear duals for leveling up purposes.
I have leveling jacks but I like to get the coach decently level prior to using the jacks.

Just wondering what type of board or blocks you use that both tires can rest on. One platform for both tires or one for each tire? Any ideas will help.

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

It is best to support both tires in a dually. Wood boards or the plastic Lego blocks will work.

I'm cheap and have wood

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It is best to support both tires in a dually. Wood boards or the plastic Lego blocks will work.

I'm cheap and have wood
LOL!

I'm cheap too, but I still have "lego" style blocks ... and wood.

The "legos" are lighter.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #5

I use leggo blocks and have some wood just in case. I try to work it so the front wheels are on the low side so that I don't need as many blocks. To figure out how many blocks I need, I use one of 2 apps iWoMoSet or the Truma app. It will let you know how many inches each wheel needs to be raised.

Do you have leveling jacks or stabilizer jacks?
If you have leveling jacks why do you need any blocks except for under the jack to keep it from sinking in the ground?
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #6

Lego Blocks work like a charm
Old 08-17-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

I think there's strong consideration that needs to be given to what the weight of the trailer or motorhome is being leveled, as the weight of many motorhomes will crush so called Lego blocks or may create an unsafe situation.
Been there done that!
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #8

Legos. I have 30 blocks. I have levelers but always put as many as I can under the levelers before leveling the rig. I do this to reduce the workload of the leveling mechanism as much as possible. Sometimes I'll also put blocks under the wheels if the site if too far off.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #9

I cut up horse trailer rubber pads (3/4 inch thick) in varying lengths that provide a Ramp effect. Pretty easy to cut and are solid rubber - they make great pads and the tires seems to "like" them.

Ron

Seneca 35gs
Hramercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #10

I have gotten used to the Anderson Levers. Used lego blocks before that.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

When my Legos crumble I'm going with some Jumbos from this company:

Fiamma Inc. - Products

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #12

Thanks fellows for all the responses and your suggestions. I have pulled 5th wheels for may years both with and without leveling systems but this is my first Class C coach and was just wondering how others went about leveling theirs.

Pfflyer, when I pull onto a site that appears to be 3-4 inches or more low on one side or on one end, I use blocks or boards to bring that side or end of coach up to a reasonable level before deploying my jack system. I don't won't a wheel or wheels to be hanging in mid air or one jack or more reaching its full extension without contacting the ground or jack pad. After I am on a reasonable level, I deploy my jacks onto jack pads. Like hopper stated, I will place as many pads under a jack as needed.

My main interest was what folks use under their dual wheels and if they used one for each separate tire or one pad for both tires, as both need support. Either way would work, just wondering as one pad for both wheels would be quite a bit larger and more difficult to store.

Thanks again folks
Titleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #13

I carry many bags of Lynx. Each tire needs to be supported. I've been on sites that were supposed to be 'level' and had my whole front end off the ground. I don't like that, even though my Big Foot system can handle it. And I absolutely cringe when I see significant weight reduction on my back tires.

So I'll lego up to get pretty close to level and then deploy my levelers. Often times I also need legos over my jack pads if the site is really off.

Also, on a related topic, I use Hosspads for the first pad under my levelers. I'll stack Lynx/Legos on the Hosspads if I have to.

Old 05-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I carry many bags of Lynx. Each tire needs to be supported. I've been on sites that were supposed to be 'level' and had my whole front end off the ground. I don't like that, even though my Big Foot system can handle it. And I absolutely cringe when I see significant weight reduction on my back tires.

So I'll lego up to get pretty close to level and then deploy my levelers. Often times I also need legos over my jack pads if the site is really off.

Also, on a related topic, I use Hosspads for the first pad under my levelers. I'll stack Lynx/Legos on the Hosspads if I have to.
Jopopsy,

When you were leveling your 29MV, did you use the legos under the hydraulic levelers? Are they strong enough that the weight of the 29MV won't crush them? I perused the Lynx website and saw one place where they said that the Lynx Levelers will hold 40,000 pounds, but the vast majority of their propaganda shows the orange Lynx Levelers under the tires, and not under the hydraulic feet. I want to watch my weight, so no sense carrying too many 2X12's when a couple bags of the plastic levelers will work. Thank you!

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #15

This thread is two years old.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
This thread is two years old.

Murff
Yes, thank you, I know. In lieu of starting a new post, I searched the existing posts and the response from Jopopsy was the closest I could find to the questions I had, so hopefully he'll see this and respond. I couldn't find a way to directly email him or I would have tried that.

Ed

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #17

For the jack pads I use the Utility Blocks found on ebay from Quality Plastics. They are a little pricey but worth every cent. When we need to get the rig closer to level I drive up on 2"x10"x24" wood and 3/4"x10"x10" rubber horse trailer mat. If leveling the wheels I support both.

ed
Attached Thumbnails
0531171850.jpg   0531171849.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #18

Legos Under Hydraulics

I always use a large pad below each hydraulic to distribute weight and then stack Legos up as close to the levellers as I can. I find the Bigfoot levellers will often reach there maximum if I don't stack under them. I have only had one lego break and that was because I did not check the kids work and they had not centered it.

I also carry a shovel with me, so if the driver side is high, I can dig down. This helps keep that last step from being a doozie!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:54 PM   #19

These work on the duals. Walmart!
Attached Thumbnails
16031E6A-C022-42BB-962C-18615A9DF42F.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love To Travel 2 View Post
Yes, thank you, I know. In lieu of starting a new post, I searched the existing posts and the response from Jopopsy was the closest I could find to the questions I had, so hopefully he'll see this and respond. I couldn't find a way to directly email him or I would have tried that.

Ed
My legos did not crumble under the jacks, but I also had my Hosspads between the ground and the legos.

I still run this way, btw. Legos under my tires as needed, Hosspads + legos for whatever jack(s) need them.