Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #1

Leveling with toad attached

Hi all. We have a 29 ft. Greyhawk, and are heading out for a trip that will take us on an overnight between home and our destination. I am wondering about the wisdom of using the auto levelers while the jeep is attached.

It has probably happened with most everyone that you've been on a site that gave your levelers a workout. Where the front or back, left or right or some combination were extended considerably more than the others. That's why I am wondering about using them without unhooking. It seems like it could put a heck of a strain on the towbar if the site happens to be, well, cockeyed.

How about if the site is fairly level, do you need to use the levelers at all for an overnight? (Assuming the wind isn't blowing like a banshee, of course).

Thank you for any advice and experience with this.
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvernelle View Post
Hi all. We have a 29 ft. Greyhawk, and are heading out for a trip that will take us on an overnight between home and our destination. I am wondering about the wisdom of using the auto levelers while the jeep is attached.

It has probably happened with most everyone that you've been on a site that gave your levelers a workout. Where the front or back, left or right or some combination were extended considerably more than the others. That's why I am wondering about using them without unhooking. It seems like it could put a heck of a strain on the towbar if the site happens to be, well, cockeyed.

How about if the site is fairly level, do you need to use the levelers at all for an overnight? (Assuming the wind isn't blowing like a banshee, of course).

Thank you for any advice and experience with this.
Done it often without any adverse effects. Just leave the toad in neutral so it can move slightly as the coach levels. And I might leave the jacks up if relatively level, one night of some shaking I can live with!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks. It helps to hear from those who have done it!

Happy trails!
Old 06-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #4

I haven't done it when towing 4 down but I have leveled with a tow dolly attached with no issues. I have also hooked up the Jeep for towing while the coach was level (night prior to departure) and then when the Jacks were retracted there were no issues.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Done it often without any adverse effects. Just leave the toad in neutral so it can move slightly as the coach levels. And I might leave the jacks up if relatively level, one night of some shaking I can live with!
X-2 When we had borh our 01 DESINGER and 08 SENECA
Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #6

I have leveled our Grayhawk 29 MV with our Jeep on the trailer and no issues.
Texas is currently home
Tockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #7

Sounds like it isn't a problem. Sometimes I tend to overthink things. 😏 Thanks everyone.
Old 06-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvernelle View Post
Sounds like it isn't a problem. Sometimes I tend to overthink things. 😏 Thanks everyone.
Better to ask ahead of time rather than after a catastrophe!

Your question is very valid, if you had to raise the rear of the MH quite a bit the toad would be drawn in as the RV went up. If you then put the toad in park and/or applied its parking brake (and it was on a hard surface) when you came down off the jacks you very possibly could put a load on the towbar that might bind it up and possibly damage something. So that is why I always make sure my toad is free rolling when I go up or down when it is still attached.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

That makes sense. Somehow I am visualizing the back end of the RV going high enough to raise the front end of the jeep. See what I mean about overthinking? Obviously, if a site is that bad, your going to notice and move the whole RV to a better spot before even trying to use the levelers.

I really appreciate the advice and benefit of your experience. It makes it all clearer.