Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

location of converter in Melbourne 29C?

Howdy folks,

OK, I'm crying uncle. Where is the converter in a Melbourne 29C?

I'm sure when I finally find it, it'll be a "duh" moment, but until then...WHERE IS IT?

We lost all 12V power while camping recently. All the 110V outlerts were fine, but we lost all 12V power, so I'm trying to trouble shoot the problem. Maybe a coincidence, and maybe not - my wife turned on one of the interior lights when we lost power. Leading up to this, we noticed the lights seems to dim a bit at random times. A friendly neighbor brought his electrical tester over and we pulled out the battery tray, testing connections, and at some point while doing this the 12V power came back on.

Then while leaving the campground we lost the power again shortly, then it came back on about 15 minutes later. (we kept a light on in the coach to monitor so we'd now if the power went off).

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm nervous about setting out on another trip before solving the problem.

Thanks,

Mike
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #2

Mine is under the bed. You have to remove a panel to get to it.

Mike

2010 Melbourne 26A
2010 Honda CRV
Mikebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #3

they put it under the bed in my greyhawk, i had to remove an 1/8" thick wood panel.
i located it by the fan noise I could hear, and the fact that was where all the breakers were located.

Inside I found a total hodge podge birdsnest of wiring. there are resome push to reset breakers on the inverter doohickey, as well as some fuse blocks of various types.

I didnt have a problem, i was just curious what I was sleeping on top.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll dig into it this weekend and see what I find. My focus will be on battery connections but I want to make sure I locate the converter and have a look-see. Would it kill Jayco to include in the owner's manual something about where the converter is located? Just saying. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks much.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #5

Converter

OK, I can confirm that the converter is indeed under the bed, and thanks to the info on this forum I discovered it after removing a panel. As it turns out, our 12v issue was the battery disconnect solenoid, in the battery compartment outside. Once replaced, all 12v issues were resolved, EXCEPT, now our chassis radio is not working. My repairman said that it's completely separate from the 12v coach wiring, so it must be a coincidence that it quit working at the same time the solenoid was replaced. But now I'm having my doubts. Does anyone happen to know if the chassis radio is wired into the chassis battery, or the house battery? I do know that the radio can say "on" while we are camping and is not dependent on the ingnition key being on, so it's either wired directly to the chassis battery bypassing the ignition, or the house battery.

Then again, it could be pure coincidence that it quit working the same day our house solenoid was replacede. Just having my doubts.

Thanks,

-Mike
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

The coach radio is designed to work off of both the coach and the house. (key on coach, key off house) At one time JAYCO was using a diode system not sure if that is still what they are doing on the newer units.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #7

Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The coach radio is designed to work off of both the coach and the house. (key on coach, key off house) At one time JAYCO was using a diode system not sure if that is still what they are doing on the newer units.
Thanks Grumpy - so I'm trying to determine if replacing my house solenoid might have had an impact on the coach radio, and if it does in fact work off both the house and chassis battery then I would assume that it should still work, even if the connection between radio-house battery was broken. The fuse on the back of the radio itself is good, as are the fuses on the fuse panel that are related to the radio. I've used my *very* elementary multimeter skills to determine (I think) that there is no power reaching the radio itself, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

-M
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Look under the driver's side kick panel. They hide some fuses under there. Dumb, I know, but they do.