Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2021, 11:52 PM   #1

Location of fresh water filter on 2016 Jayco 29 MV

I recently retrieved my RV from storage, brought it home, washed it, and closed all the drain vents. I went to fill with water to check for leaks, and immediately I could water hitting the false bottom behind the fill valve. I'm assuming the filter is located back there and given the hard freeze we had in North Texas, although the RV was under cover, the filter may have frozen.

If I'm wrong about that, what could I expect to find behind the fill valve? Could the issue be the fill valve itself? I searched 40 pages here to try and find something that might reference the issue, but found nothing. Any help or advice would be much appreciated...
OzCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCop View Post
I recently retrieved my RV from storage, brought it home, washed it, and closed all the drain vents. I went to fill with water to check for leaks, and immediately I could water hitting the false bottom behind the fill valve. I'm assuming the filter is located back there and given the hard freeze we had in North Texas, although the RV was under cover, the filter may have frozen.

If I'm wrong about that, what could I expect to find behind the fill valve? Could the issue be the fill valve itself? I searched 40 pages here to try and find something that might reference the issue, but found nothing. Any help or advice would be much appreciated...
The fresh water filter is located under the bathroom sink. When looking under the cabinet, the vacuum breaker for the black tank flusher can be seen on the left just past the top of a partition. It is also known to leak if damaged.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #3

My unit has drawers there on the inside of that wall. Filter is under the sink and accessed easily through the "vanity" cabinets as Ron said above. Drawers are relatively easy to remove, and doing so should give you pretty good view of all those water connections behind the "input" ports.

Also, my unit has a little boxed in "trace" along that wall in the bathroom behind the toilet. That can be removed relatively easily as well (haven't done that on this camper, but have on others). With the drawers out, the "box" opened up, and the bed lifted with the panel above the water pump removed, you should literally be able to see all the plumbing that comes into the camper.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys...I will see if I can tell where the water is coming from...
Old 05-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzCop View Post
Thanks for the info guys...I will see if I can tell where the water is coming from...
Please be sure and come back with an update when you find the resolution. And we love pics... just sayin'

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #6

I just realized I do not have an MV
Motohome. It’s actually an ME. MV was my last one which was a 2008 model. I checked under those drawers and didn’t find anything. Nothing under b room sink either. My unit has the large storage space with 3 doors to access, one on each side and one in rear. My 3rd slide also slides out the rear. I did find a panel that can be removed in the storage area that may provide access. Found another issue when trying to open rear slide. Only one side wants to move. The left side of the slide appears to be stuck. Dang it!
Old 05-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
CAG

There are check valves behind the wall and the inlet. If one of them froze and cracked it may be blocking water flow or leaking into the wall.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:06 PM   #8
RPR

Our 2018 Greyhawk 31 DS has the same three door rear storage with the inclosed compartment in there with removable panel. Right inside visible from the opening is our water filter. Also in there just to the left of the filter is our water pump which you can see from the opening. Also access to the back side of the water control panel. I installed hinges on the big access panel with a latch so it is a breeze to change water filter, clean screen on pump and I put a 70 watt flood light in there for nights it may get below freezing here in Alabama.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

Pulled the panel cover in large storage compartment and found the filter, pump, and lots of piping and wiring. It’s pretty obvious what happened. The filter case broke completely off the threaded area. Strangely enough, there was no filter to be found. I live in the DFW area, and strangely, none of the RV stores have that unit, not even Camping World. Wife ordered one directly from manufacturer. Not much I can do till that piece is replaced in terms of finding other plumbing leaks.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #10
RPR

Ours looks like ones Lowes or Home Depot carry
Old 05-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #11

Thanks...I will check them out tomorrow. I know they have filters, but not sure they have filter housing and all...
Old 05-07-2021, 08:48 PM   #12
RPR

Yep they do.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:24 AM   #13

Replaced rear slide circuit board, as well as the filter assembly. The circuit board fixed the slide out problem, and replacing filter assembly fixed the two issues I had. Thanks to folks on this board who helped drill down and find the problem.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:15 AM   #14

OzCop....now that you have found the incoming water fill filter in your rig....I have that set-up in my 29MV (inside the bath vanity). It is common 1) that owners remove the filter because many people put an in-line filter on their fill hose because it's so much easier to deal with that than the on-board filter; and 2) the container for the on-board filter WILL split if the water inside it freezes. It happened to me, on the threads, which I discovered a couple of years ago when getting ready to leave on a trip. "Twernt" no fun at all, mopping up the water inside. In regard to 1) above, some people just remove that assembly entirely, and splice in a water line to replace it.
Dave T WA State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:44 AM   #15

Thanks Dave...I can see that as a plus, particularly on the ME where the filter is well hidden and requires removal of 4 screws. Mine does have a force limiting valve (can't recall the real nomenclature) prior to the filter assembly. It appears to me that filter assembly could be easily bypassed...I just brought my RV home for storage after having stored 2 other previously owned RV's and this one for the past 11 years. I still need to run a water line to the pad I prepared for parking and servicing. (34x34 foot concrete pad) Also still need to run the electric from my detached garage to the pad. Currently using a 30 amp extension cord.