Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2017, 08:21 PM   #1

Locked out???

We just drove our new Melbourne 24M home............and in educating ourselves about its ins and outs, we think it's possible to lock yourself out???
Is that correct?
The cab doors would be locked. You exit the coach through its door, which locked??? and you shut the door behind you.

Or are we imagining this?
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

Possible, but no different than walking out of your house without the keys and closing a locked door.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

O I managed to lock myself and everyone else out of the bathroom. And it's the size of a phone booth with just toilet and tub jammed together. Why a lock I have no idea as it's obvious what you are doing from sound. And for 30 minutes no one could use it.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

Almost locked myself out of my first MH. I've had stashed keys in a magnetic key box attached to the generator frame ever since.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the replies........My wife had suggested we put a key in a magnet box and stash it somewhere............Inside the generator area sounds good...................Cheers.........
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #6

I keep a complete set of keys for the TT. TV, and all my padlocks squirrled away outside the TT. Most of us have and will again lock ourselves out of anything that locks. Admitting our failures and planning ahead is what puts humans at the top of the food chain, at least most of the time.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #7

Our approach:

TV - we have 2 physical keys ('his' and 'hers'), another physical key on a chain with remote fob (for the one driving), and a key pad on the door.

TT - we both have keys and we ONLY lock the doors with the dead bolt. That means you are either already inside or outside and used a key to lock the door. And if turns out to be a really bad day, there is the '751' locks and passthru.

Because our kids may be joining us on a couple of trips this year, I'll probably need the magnet box to stash backup keys for them. Just in case...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

This thread takes me back to our very first RV; we pulled into gas station, coach door was locked, hubby left keys in ignition, this was long before fancy key fobs, etc. We both got out and as I'm standing there, to my utter horror, our dog just excitedly jumped on the door lock button...all the doors are now locked, my husband and I am standing there looking dumbfounded, and of course neither one of us has a key, AND, we're now blocking the fuel island....Lesson learned....I am never outside any of my vehicles without the key in my hand, pocket, or purse. We laughed about this with friends later, but it was NOT funny at the time.
freetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

I read this thread a couple days ago and promptly didn't take heed, I have a digital button key pad and use it every day, what could go wrong?
We left the camper today and Hmmm the lock won't lock. After a case of cold chills I re-entered the camper to retrieve my key ring to lock the door and to re-enter a couple hours later. Thinking all the time that I was one lucky dude to have the batteries go dead as I was trying to lock rather than un-lock while my keys were hanging on a hook inside.
Any one had to jimmy their door? Can you?

I now have a set in my glove box in the toad.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #10

Always have a spare key stashed somewhere outside. Then you will never let that happen again! Speaking of getting locked out, my mechanic that installed the base plate on my toad, convinced me I needed to leave the ignition key in the "on" position when I towed it. Except he didn't tell me to diaable the "auto lock" feature, and as soon as I exceeded 5 mph my toad locked, and it stayed that way till the end of the trip.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:51 AM   #11

Was using the electric locks all the time on our Seneca, leaving keys in the RV. Was at home and had an electric lock failure...couldn't get in. Was considering Pop-A-Lock, looking for the number, etc. Tried one more time. Fortunately the lock opened one more time so I could get in. I replace the old lock and now never leave both sets in the RV. I need to get a magnetic box as well.
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #12

This is my solution to key issue. I keep a truck key in this. I like the idea of a locked key storage not just a hide a key. This is in the propane locker so it is never locked and I have access to the key lock box. Might be over kill but I had it in my tool box so I decided to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote