Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2022, 01:59 AM   #61

Lots of good options. Discussed at length all over these forums.

For us, we flat tow a 2019 Jeep Wrangler 4 door. [4600 lbs.], my daily driver. Attached with a Ready Brute Elite bar w/integrated low tech cable brake. Also, a Mopar [Jeep] aftermarket lighting harness installed in the Jeep. A day's install yourself, if your first time tearing your Jeep apart to put it in, or pay the dealer etc.

Advantages:
1. Easy connect - disconnect

2. Between this Jeep light kit and the cable actuated brake we never have to worry about running the Jeep's battery down while towing as all power used is being sucked from the motorhome's battery, not the Jeep's battery while towing.

3. One of the least expensive tow bar + toad brake combos when factoring both into the price of flat towing.

4. No speed limit flat towing other than road rules unlike some toads that have arbitrary limits when being flat towed. Maybe a non issue with modern cars?

5. It's a Jeep. Great for driving on the beach for kiteboarding or hauling MTB's up to a trailhead for biking. Drives us to the store and dinner just fine.

Disadvantages: It's a Jeep. Life is short. You have to like it. We do.
alazear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #62

We have a 2021 30Z that we bought in December. We have been towing a 2019 Acura RDX with a tow dolly most of the time. The dolly is a real pain to deal with. The wife has been wanting something we can flat tow. We’ll, yesterday she told me she bought a Jeep Cherokee 4XE which is the hybrid model. The dealer assured us it is flat towable. He has no manual on this model because it is so new. The car won’t be here for eight weeks. I’m starting today to look around for a tow bar with the brackets. I also want a brake system of some sort. Any thought on this issue would be very helpful.
Thanks
Barry
Old 02-17-2022, 09:42 AM   #63

I tow a 2021 Jeep Wrangler 2dr with a Blue Ox base plate (easy to install myself) and Blue Ox Ascent tow bar. I use the eTrailer tow lights that come with 4 diodes, again installed myself easily. I have a Ready Brute Elite like the previous commenter, but I’ve given up on making the braking system work reliably and instead went with the Blue Ox Patriot 3 braking system which is dead simple to use and 100% reliable.
white2833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel View Post
We have a 2021 30Z that we bought in December. We have been towing a 2019 Acura RDX with a tow dolly most of the time. The dolly is a real pain to deal with. The wife has been wanting something we can flat tow. We’ll, yesterday she told me she bought a Jeep Cherokee 4XE which is the hybrid model. The dealer assured us it is flat towable. He has no manual on this model because it is so new. The car won’t be here for eight weeks. I’m starting today to look around for a tow bar with the brackets. I also want a brake system of some sort. Any thought on this issue would be very helpful.
Thanks
Barry
We have the all terrain from roadmaster. Allows you to hook up on uneven surfaces, same for unhooking. Only drawback, since it’s aluminum, you can’t back up or you will bend the hitch. You have to unhook and rehook up to back up. A pain, but we try to make sure we can always go forward only once in the past twelve years have we had to u hook to turn around. Good luck.
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #65

We finally got the car. Had it in the shop last week getting the tow system all hooked up. Toes much better than the tow dolly did. The tow bar set up is the only way to go.
Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #66

Master tow

I was lucky enough to find a dealer in Pa that would let me try the dolly before buying. Master tow makes a set of extension ramps for low clearance cars. Two trips, one to New Jersey and one to Virginia and the dolley works like a charm.

As an aside, my first choice was a Demco but, no help from the factory, no help from the reps, no inventory, no dealer support so apparently they have enough business that they don’t need to look for new business.

Go Master Tow!
Jpreuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #67

I tow a 2021 Ford Escape Hybrid. I have the Blue Ox base plate and tow bars. The braking system is from Demco. Very easy connect and disconnect. It is nice having a comfortable car that gets 40MPG once we arrive at our destination.
Morris E is offline   Reply With Quote