Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2021, 06:45 AM   #1

Looking into making Awning cover

Any of you gone ahead and made their own awning cover out of plastic pipe?
My awning is 16ft. Most of you made it in 2 pieces or one solid? Is it worth the effort? Puts extra life in awning?
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #2

Awning cover?

Like canopy

Or slide cover
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:06 AM   #3

Canopy. One that covers you picnic area. Maybe i wasnt clear. This to cover the canopy awning in the closed position and installed when Rv its not being used. Just sitting.
Old 05-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #4

Still cornfused

Why do u need a canopy, over a picnic area, if yer not useig the rv?

If like in storage at yer property, PVC is not stable, one good wind and bye bye canopy
Old 05-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Still cornfused

Why do u need a canopy, over a picnic area, if yer not useig the rv?

If like in storage at yer property, PVC is not stable, one good wind and bye bye canopy

Sorry. Guess my thread title wasn't the best.

This is to protect the awning when it in the stored position up against the RV. 4" diameter corrugated pipe you can slice down the middle and then grab at the opening and place over the awning. fits like a glove. Now I would not recommend driving with it. Used just for when not in use either in your driveway or parking spot. Keeps awning clean,dry, and no harmful UV rays hitting it
Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #6

I had my canopy, outside, in AZ, closed for 10rs.... Never an issue with it. Always worked fine and no sign of rot

Now the front where the siding bulged....that's a different story...lol
Old 05-27-2021, 07:11 PM   #7

How to make awning cover?

I would like to make one of these awning covers. How much would you cut out of the PVC pipe? Thanks.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #8

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

I don't see the need

But go for it
Old 05-28-2021, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I would like to make one of these awning covers. How much would you cut out of the PVC pipe? Thanks.

You basically get blue 3m paint trim edging tape . There is usually a factory line you can follow or there will be product info stamping down the pipe. Take the blue tape using the markings on the pipe make straight line from one end to the other. Then get a circular saw and follow the tape edge for a nice straight line. Now to cut it to match the length of you awning I used a chop saw but a hack saw can also due. take some sand paper to smooth out the rough edges on cut end.Mine is 16ft so I bought 2 10-ft sections. Grab the cut opening with your fingers and open up the gap and place over the awning. I bought white piping and painted them gray. Black is available but I feel black will attract more heat. If you tube this topic plenty of videos pop up. How I discovered it. Only cost 20.00 verses the 60 to 100 they charge for kits.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:42 PM   #11

I bought the ready made kit that sold by RV dealers. It works great. If you use PVC, you will need to use the thin drain pipe, or you will not be able to spread it to get it over the awning. I bought a 20’ kit not knowing the length of my Awning so I had an extra piece or two, and I use them to support my sewer hose from the tank to the campsite dump. The sewer hose fits perfect in it. The kit is 5 pieces, about 4’ each.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:31 PM   #12

awnings fail due to sun beating down on the first 8 inches or so from the rv side where its attached. Th UV weakens the fabric until one day it starts to get holes and tears loose. or wind just destroyed it because you didnt roll it up fast enough.

my idea (which i have not tried yet) was to use peel and stick 8" wide flex seal onto the awning fabric tight to the attach rail and covering the first 8 inches of fabric. would definitely be a 4 hand job but in the rolled up (stored) position the only material exposed to the sun would be flex seal. In my mind that would extend the life of an awning greatly.

I also thought about using that metal tape that A/C guys use on duct board (not the common fix anything duck/tuck tape we all have around the house)

I also saw another system: this was a 8 or 10 inch wide piece that installed in the attachment rail and had another split rail piece on the other end that the awning fabric slipped into. when you rolled up the awning all that was exposed to the elements wat that protection fabric piece that I guess could be changed out later if need thus really extending the life of the main awning fabric. don't remember where I saw it though.
or maybe I just dreamed it and just gave away a million dollar idea?
Old 06-12-2021, 02:25 PM   #13

When we got our motor home I added the already made covers and they worked fine. The only problem is the use of a ladder to take them off and on. The instructions claims you can leave them on to open and close the awning I found this not true. Start with the rear and work forward with the sections and over lap so wind does not lift the sections
2OLDMONKEYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:40 PM   #14

Vinyl rain gutter works nice for that. It is cheap and easy to install.
JaycoJoe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 03:54 PM   #15

I got a piece of corrugated flexible drainage pipe from Home Depot for $8. I cut it length way and it fits perfectly over the awning. It has enough spring in it to hold itself on there.
I also got some garden hose to put over the edging of the pipe just to made it look a bit cleaner and keep sharp edges off of awning.
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #16

I second the vinal spouting. Snaps right in the small grove where the awning is attached.
Happy Trails
Mlm1000-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #17

been using vinyl gutters from H/D for years. Work just fine. My current awning requires two clipped together with the $4 coupler. I've had these for some time now....maybe have$20 max into them.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote