Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #1

looking to buy a Greyhawk or Redhawk

Hello,

I have been looking for a class C a while now and what with the COVID-19 it has hampered my search. With all the class C motorhomes in the 28 to 23 foot range i have been leaning towards Jayco, i know all class C' s are not perfect and come with issues but lately i seem to see on other forums that Jayco isn't any good at all and i have set my sights on a Greyhawk 27U, as advice would be appreciated.
classcwannebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 PM   #2

We have a Red hawk 26xd. I think Jayco quality is as good as any at a comparable price point. If buying new, you will have some issues no matter what brand you go with. The Jayco two year warranty is a definite plus. My advice would be to try to make sure your dealer service service department is competent and reasonable to work with.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #3

I just purchased a 2021 Greyhawk. Love it. It replaced a 30’ travel trailer
Pastorlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #4

They are all made by mfg that are interested in keeping investors happy, not so much customers. With that in mind, they are made with every aspect, every minute of manufacturing with the eye on how to get this unit out the door as cheapest as possible and let your local dealer finish the last 10% by warranty work.

They are all crappy, either commit to accepting this and fix it yourself or be ok with it in the shop for a while.

I'm not sure one brand is substantially better then the next.. They are all working to keep investors happy.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUSNRet View Post
We have a Red hawk 26xd. I think Jayco quality is as good as any at a comparable price point. If buying new, you will have some issues no matter what brand you go with. The Jayco two year warranty is a definite plus. My advice would be to try to make sure your dealer service service department is competent and reasonable to work with.
I agree with this. It seems that ALL RVs are rushed through the manufacturing process. It's all about profit to them.

Two things, plan on having issues with anything you buy, then if they end up being minor, consider that a home run. Second, try to find out the reputation of the service department, some are good, most are bad.

Or, plan on being handy with tools, and just fix as much as you can yourself. This will eliminate a ton of stress, and keep your rig from sitting for weeks/months waiting for service.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 PM   #6

Wannabe,

When we switched from a bumper pull to our Class C we narrowed it down to a certain floorplan and that really narrowed our choices down to Jayco and Forrest River. There were things that we liked about the Forrest River more than the Jayco and there were things that we liked more about the Jayco. When it came time to choose just the ride of the Jayco sealed the deal for us. All in all we felt that the Jayco had a hand up in the fit and finish over the Forrest River.

Now just like everyone has said, you should expect issues regardless of brand. Unfortunately that's just the environment we are in today. I did not do this but I know you can pay to have it inspected or there is a lot of information about things to inspect prior to taking delivery. I think had I done either of those things I would have caught 50% of my first year issues before I left the lot.

Best of Luck.......
Old 10-07-2020, 09:14 PM   #7

We bought our Redhawk new this spring at the start of the shut down. The quality is decent. The appeal to us was the Jayco 2 year warranty as opposed to 1 year with the other brands. This is our 3rd rv, but 1st motorhome, so we knew going into it the first year or two is working out the manufacturer’s kinks. You can get the same RV anywhere in the country, but I would say make sure you have a good relationship with your local dealer because they are the ones who will he doing the annoying warranty work.
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #8

2X on what MIKeUSNReT shared. We bought a new 2020 26XD this last April. We have had some issues, but were able to work through them. One problem we had with the slide when we were on the road had to be corrected by a certified RV mechanic we hired. When we returned I asked our dealer if they would cover that repair and they said yes and I had a check a week later. Had a short list of other warranty things that needed attention, dropped it off and the work was completed in 2 weeks. This is our second Class C and is a bit more complicated than our first, but it broke us in to what it wanted. We really enjoy this RV and , as said, having a dealer with a good service department is sooo important.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #9

But if you get a used one (2018) like we did, it doesn't matter one bit where you buy it. If it's used, it doesn't matter if it only 6 months old or 3 months old, the warranty is the same, none.

Of course it does matter with a motorized unit. What's left on the 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is still good for the 2 or 3 owner. Same goes for the 5yr/60,000 mile drivetrain warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
We bought our Redhawk new this spring at the start of the shut down. The quality is decent. The appeal to us was the Jayco 2 year warranty as opposed to 1 year with the other brands. This is our 3rd rv, but 1st motorhome, so we knew going into it the first year or two is working out the manufacturer’s kinks. You can get the same RV anywhere in the country, but I would say make sure you have a good relationship with your local dealer because they are the ones who will he doing the annoying warranty work.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:51 AM   #10

Thank you all for the advice, i will definitely make sure the dealer is up to par with a good rep. It is the 2 year warranty and the way Jayco drives that focused me on the brand.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #11

Seem the entire RV industry hasn't a clue about engineering and manuf quality.

One additional suggestion.
Do an inspection yourself (new or not). Get in writing what is wrong.

That means open compartments even those screwed shut, the heater cabinet, the bed cabbinets,
......get underneath and look at the wiring and hose routing, shake things to see if they are loose etc.

Have them demonstrate every single function ... like winterizing valves.
Operate slides multiple times and verify they open and close square to the body, look for wear on the tracks.

In my case the state of my brand new RV:
  • Water tanks strap was mounted incorrectly and the tank was loose
  • Heater ducts were disconnected under the sink
  • Hellway springs were mounted inproperly and not adjusted
  • Lots of hanging wiring under the frame that I tied up.
  • Winterizing function did not work (new valve assy)
  • Lippert lifts did not work 1st time out.
  • Screen door stair switch fell off, auto steps inoperable. The switch was applied with double back tape, replaced with screws.
  • The kitchen cabinets back wall was only partially screwed in
  • TV shaked and rattled while driving. Added velcro tiedowns.
  • Shower head rattled, improved mounting
  • Filter falling off the wall under bathroom sink

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by classcwannebe View Post
Thank you all for the advice, i will definitely make sure the dealer is up to par with a good rep. It is the 2 year warranty and the way Jayco drives that focused me on the brand.
Just to give you a bit more in terms of options, take a look at the Entegras. I have an Odyssey 31L, and its essentially the same as the Greyhawk/Redhawk. They’re owned by Jayco now, and have the same warranty.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABob View Post
Just to give you a bit more in terms of options, take a look at the Entegras. I have an Odyssey 31L, and its essentially the same as the Greyhawk/Redhawk. They’re owned by Jayco now, and have the same warranty.
Was definitely going to say the same thing! We loved the quality of the Entegras and the unique look of them (we have a 2021 Odyssey 31F...it's like a RedHawk).

I honestly couldn't name another Class C manufacturer that is better than Entegra or Jayco. You could make an argument for equal, but there are plenty who fall well short.

The new 2021 V8 Chassis is the bomb though...
CaptainDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:28 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post
Seem the entire RV industry hasn't a clue about engineering and manuf quality.

One additional suggestion.
Do an inspection yourself (new or not). Get in writing what is wrong.

That means open compartments even those screwed shut, the heater cabinet, the bed cabbinets,
......get underneath and look at the wiring and hose routing, shake things to see if they are loose etc.

Have them demonstrate every single function ... like winterizing valves.
Operate slides multiple times and verify they open and close square to the body, look for wear on the tracks.

• Screen door stair switch fell off, auto steps inoperable. The switch was applied with double back tape, replaced with screws.

I will most certainly get make sure they demo all the functions and even get an inspection carried out. I am so glad i joined this forum as the advice has bee great.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:30 AM   #15

I will certainly look at Entegras, as the dealer has two coming in with the Jayco's
Old 10-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by classcwannebe View Post
I will certainly look at Entegras, as the dealer has two coming in with the Jayco's

Hopefully that just gives you more choices and bargaining power, along with the same warranty. As this was my first RV, that was a key factor in my decision. I've worked with manufacturing all of my life (not in, but in supporting positions) and if a firm is comfortable enough to provide an extended warranty, I think it's a differentiator. No firm can control what all of their workers do, of course, but either Quality Control is there to ensure that all is good, or they're responsible enough to make good if something isn't right.

All of my issues were minor, and quickly approved by Jayco/Entegra.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorlarry View Post
I just purchased a 2021 Greyhawk. Love it. It replaced a 30’ travel trailer
Congrats! What Greyhawk did you get?

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_kleinschnitz View Post

That's quite a list, did the dealer take care of it or did you fix yourself? I'm decent with the handyman stuff but worry about things like the slide or auto-leveler not working. Those I'm not sure I have the skill or tools to handle and would want to dealer to take care of.

2021 Jayco Redhawk 24B
Home Base: Colorado
Brian_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #19

We have a 2016 Greyhawk 29MV. The quality is pretty good except for the material (vinyl) on the sofa is very poor at best. After four years the vinyl is flaking off like your skin after a sunburn. The flaking is on the top of the back where there is no pressure. We keep the shades pulled to protect from excessive sun. The vinyl covering is as thin as tissue paper. Hopefully, they have improved with later models.
Lynn Kessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #20

It was a mixed response from the dealer and Jayco.
I fixed everything but the lift, water valves, tank and filter problems. They are in que to fix the springs but I may do that myself as well.

First: I find that the dealer has poor training and documentation from Jayco on these things so they are learning how to fix them on the fly, like me. I know this because I am constantly requesting drawings, schematics, repair and maint information from Jayco. They are reluctant or simply do not have them.

Second: it is really difficult to get scheduled into the dealer they are so busy these days. I guess COVID has everyone camping.

don_kleinschnitz is offline   Reply With Quote