Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #1

Looking to buy a used 2022 GreyHawk 29MV

Ive been a member here a long time. Years ago we had a Jay flight bumper pull when the kids were young. It was a quality built camper and we really enjoyed it. They are all grown now and the old camper is gone.

It’s just me, my wife and the dog now. We have the chance to buy a used 2022 trade in Greyhawk. It has 3000 miles on it and I can’t figure out why someone would trade it in so soon. Is there anything I need to be looking for that could have been an issue? The way the market is here we have to make a decision pretty quick or it will be gone.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Also does anyone know what the MV stands for?
boxerrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerrox View Post
Ive been a member here a long time. Years ago we had a Jay flight bumper pull when the kids were young. It was a quality built camper and we really enjoyed it. They are all grown now and the old camper is gone.

It’s just me, my wife and the dog now. We have the chance to buy a used 2022 trade in Greyhawk. It has 3000 miles on it and I can’t figure out why someone would trade it in so soon. Is there anything I need to be looking for that could have been an issue? The way the market is here we have to make a decision pretty quick or it will be gone.

The 29MV represents the floorplan - I don't think "MV" stands for anything in particular, but this model has two slides.

One of the points you should be fully aware of is that the warranty on the house part of the RV is not transferable. A relatively new, slightly used RV may still have a punch list of items and/or gremlins that would normally be covered under warranty. Even if the first owners took care of all of the known issues, this coach is almost certainly just a few months old at most, and I would bet money that there are still more issues to be found.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 02:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ait109 View Post
The 29MV represents the floorplan - I don't think "MV" stands for anything in particular, but this model has two slides.

One of the points you should be fully aware of is that the warranty on the house part of the RV is not transferable. A relatively new, slightly used RV may still have a punch list of items and/or gremlins that would normally be covered under warranty. Even if the first owners took care of all of the known issues, this coach is almost certainly just a few months old at most, and I would bet money that there are still more issues to be found.
That's a great point.

Mine came to me, in AZ with 2100mi brand new at dealer
So 3000mi it probably wasn't even used hardly. I'd be curious why it was traded back in.
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
CAG

Quote:
It has 3000 miles on it and I can’t figure out why someone would trade it in so soon.

There are vehicle search engines that you can purchase to see past repair history. Considering the complaints on the newer RVs from those who have recently purchased, my guess would be "problems".

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:49 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies. I think we are thinking along the same lines of “problems “. We are going to pass on this one and keep searching for a new one. The savings is tempting but loosing the Jayco warranty is concerning.

Our local Jayco dealer only sells tag along campers. To get a Jayco motor home we are limited to a big nationwide outfit. They say they are selling units faster than they can get them. They really don’t care if you buy or not. The next person through the door will is what they say. It’s hard for me to make a snap decision on such a large purchase. I guess I like to look at things and think them over before pulling the trigger.

I guess the search continues. Thanks again for the replies.
boxerrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I think we are thinking along the same lines of “problems “. We are going to pass on this one and keep searching for a new one. The savings is tempting but loosing the Jayco warranty is concerning...
Jayco's warranty is of little use to me, and a low mileage rig being sold at a significant mark down is exactly what I would look for if I were in the market. The first owners have absorbed the 20 to 30% depreciation in a new RV's value just be driving it off the lot, while (hopefully) dealing with the headache of getting the repair services needed for a new vehicle going through its break-in period.

Have an inspection done of course, but keep an open mind. This could be an ideal vehicle for some folks.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 11-26-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
RPR

In 2018 we bought a “used” 2018 Greyhawk with 3000 miles from a couple who planned on traveling. The wife became ill on their first big trip and her doctor gave them the bad news. They were selling the motorhome and going to buy a large TT and put it on a lake near their home so she could enjoy their “little cabin” while she could. We have not regretted it one time. The savings more than made up for any problems. The Ford warranty is separate from the Jayco warranty.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutmaster253 View Post
Jayco's warranty is of little use to me, and a low mileage rig being sold at a significant mark down is exactly what I would look for if I were in the market. The first owners have absorbed the 20 to 30% depreciation in a new RV's value just be driving it off the lot, while (hopefully) dealing with the headache of getting the repair services needed for a new vehicle going through its break-in period.

Have an inspection done of course, but keep an open mind. This could be an ideal vehicle for some folks.

Just my humble opinion.
Expanding on a couple of your points. Significant markdown is kind of a relative term along with the depreciation. Both of those could place it where it would have been pre COVID.

Many folks here predicted a glut of used units after folks impulsively bought. You might have found one like that.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:05 PM   #9

When I bought my used 2018 Greyhawk in Early 2019 the previous owner agreed to go to the dealer with us if we had any Jayco problems . We never did and everything is OK . (31fs model)….Good Luck….
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:57 AM   #10

Just a thought to share. While not many are in favor on purchasing an extended warranty, I did as I was new to RVing 3 years ago and it gave us some peace of mind. It provides road service as well, so it saves me a bit there. If the price is right in terms of a great deal on the unit, this might be an option to offset some risk.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #11

Have you asked the dealer why it was sold to them or traded in. Sometimes they know. We looked at a gorgeous MVP this year with low miles, and it turned out that a husband and wife had equipped it for their retirement and he died unexpectedly and it was more than she wanted. Also, I think Good Sam sells various warranties on used, although there are lots of thoughts about how good Good Sam is.
Rich Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:55 PM   #12

I wouldn't toss the opportunity out without trying to find out why they traded it in. I've known people to get an RV, find out its smaller than they want, didn't like the RV experience like they thought or were not comfortable driving and traded up/down/out.

I'd contact Jayco and see if any reports have been made on the VIN, try doing some searches and see what you can find. I'd ask the dealer for fun, but wouldn't believe anything they said. Perhaps they can give you a report on the vehicle?

As some others have mentioned, unless its major all the warranty work is, for me, too much a pain to get done. Takes too long and they mess other stuff up, not to mention honesty isn't a work in a dealer vocabulary when it comes to RV sales/service. If the warranty is an issue, I'm sure the dealer has one you can buy..

Depending on where it was delivered too may account for almost 50% of those miles. They are all made in IN. Mine was driven to Orlando for pick up so it had ~1200 miles on it when I rode out.

I haven't been following the threads on the new ford E450 chassis closely, but need to make sure all those issues have been resolved (maybe that's why they returned it?). AdvanceTrac alarms, cruise control turning off, spark plug wires melting/misfires, etc.
Old 12-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #13

I know you said you'd pass - but we got our 2016 31FK with 1600 miles on it. 1400 came from Jayco's drive from Indiana to Colorado.

And 200 from the owner who used it once and then decided to unload it. He was well-off and in his 80s. Although he looked and moved as if twenty years younger.

It happens.
We were fortunate enough to be the recipient of his generosity!
Old 12-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #14
CAG

I have seldom bought used anything. In our younger days when we had no money that was generally the only option because we could not afford new. There were many cases of buying someone else's problems and I learned over the years. We can afford to buy new now and do not finance anything. We began looking at a different RV set ups and decided to look at used. We had owned three previous RV's and I knew of all the problems with the shoddy builds of most companies. We settled on a 2018 Greyhawk with low mileage and I did a pretty thorough PDI. I still missed a few things and it took nearly $1K in fixes before it was to my liking. We still made out on the buy but it just reinforced the fact that buying used is a gamble. The problem today is that buying an RV new is even more of a gamble.

The one good buy with this was the Jeep. I traded in a 2014 Duramax, paid very little difference on a 2019 Wrangler JL Limited with low mileage that has been a dream of a vehicle.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #15

Our 2022 Esteem 29V has been a great unit for the first 2200 miles. Everything works as it should, love the new chassis, (we had a 2020 Odyssey)
Only Jayco issue was a GPS antenna that wasn't caulked properly.
The bigger issue is Fords brake booster. I lost all fluids when a hose popped off. Its at Ford now waiting for parts. Timing is ok though, we are up North for a month.
My local RV repair in Titusville does great work and they honor the Jayco warranty.
2022 Entegra Esteem 29V
Meadowlark Paint
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #16

My experience with used is you can fix whatever is wrong but you may have to buy so new stuff. Fixing on a new one usually is redo of bad workmanship but no new big parts to buy.
Ttlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #17

We bought a 2-year-old Jayco Redhawk SE 22C (a 2020 model on a 2019 Chevy HD 4500 chassis) that had only 1600 miles on it. And about 1400 of that was the delivery from the factory to Texas. The couple that sold it to us admitted that they had only used it 3 times, with all of those being very "local" weekend outings. They had previously owned a 44' Diesel Pusher and thought they would enjoy the greater maneuverability, etc. of the "little rig." They were planning to retire and do a lot of traveling in it. Then COVID hit, and his business (transportation support) suddenly was "mission critical" and hampered by high turnover. He decided to postpone the retirement for a few years, until things stabilized.

As a result of all those factors, they really didn't get to enjoy the motorhome as much as they expected, and after a year of it sitting idle, they decided to sell it. I believe we were really fortunate, because it sat on the market for a month or so (poorly advertised, and a victim of the anti-Chevy bias in the RV world), leading them to believe the market was weak. We bought it the day we looked at it – paying their full asking price – though that was about $12,000 under the trade-in value, and almost $40,000 less than the lowest price I've seen for a new one at a dealer!

I did my own pre-purchase inspection, using checklists we'd found in the various Jayco "Hawk" groups on Facebook. All the "expensive" things worked perfectly, and I didn't even find any minor issues, other than a couple of loose staples holding wall panels and trim pieces in place. Again, we were lucky, because this unit was built just before COVID hit the RV industry, with the resulting drop in production quality.

In the months since then, we've still found nothing that doesn't work, and even if we eventually do find something that would have been covered under warranty on a new rig, I figure we're well ahead of the $$ curve even if I have to pay to get it repaired.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find a qualified RV inspector to do a detailed inspection for me, and jump on that rig. Odds are that a brand new one will have more issues that one that's been in even light duty use for a year or so... Most of the "big" issued point themselves out pretty quickly, in my experience.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:

I have a group of RV’ing friends and of that group, one bought a beautiful new 5th wheel, took one trip then lost his job due to the COVID lockdown and had to give it up. Could be any number of reasons. Generally speaking the Jayco warranty is useless unless you’re lucky enough to have an exceptionally good dealer to work with and let’s be honest, they’re few and far between.

If you pull the trigger just don’t let them use the non-transferable warranty issue to sell you an extended warranty. Save your money and use it to fix anything that might pop up that you can’t fix yourself.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote