Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM   #1

Looking to buy Jayco greyhawk or

Has anyone used this motorhome for dry/ remote camping. Towing FJ cruiser and planning a 2yr adventure. Need reliable unit and with 2yr warranty looks reasonable. Any advice is appreciated. I have a 33sw super C diesel that would have been perfect but totally unreliable with full wall slide. Very sad as we loved the unit and have modified it with solar, four down towing large battery bank etc. Can't afford to be stuck with slide issues in remote areas therefore the need to change.
Bduck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #2

Our Greyhawk 31FS had the battery in a slideout tray making using 2 12v batteries impossible without locating the 2nd battery somewhere else. Going with 6v batteries may allow 2 in the slideout tray.

I don't think Jayco makes a Greyhawk without a slide or is it just the full wall slide you are concerned with. Our 31FS was useable with both slides in.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

Thanks Michael, the problem is the full wall slide driven by a schwintec mechanism. I had added 6 6volt batteries with 400w of solar panels. It was perfect but the full wall slide is unreliable.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

Greyhawk 31 fs

We have a 2014 greyhawk FS 31 (bunk model). No real long term dry camping but after 4 yrs and 20k miles the only issues we’ve had are the things we broke!! Well made coach. We are actually about to trade for a 2018 seneca 37k. Going the opposite direction as you🤣
M&Jontheroadagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #5

Glad to see you made it here!

Yeah, I forgot about the battery. If you look at the Greyhawks and Redhawks, I think you'll see they're set up for a single battery. Adding more will take some modifications.

Again, more reasons why I think the 'hawks are pretty much not well designed for boondocking.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #6

Thanks all, looking for the good and bad. My plan would be to modify with solar with what I have, 400w of solar panels, 3000w inverter which should cover the electrical need. Mostly concerned about general quality of construction and power for towing a 4500lb FJ Cruiser for 2yrs. Mostly concerned about reliability. Of Jayco and greyhawk in particular. Thanks
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #7

I have a 2016 31DS. I found the one 12v battery insufficient, so wired two 6volt batteries using the storage unit next to the battery compartment for the second battery. I spoke to Jayco directly to determine the carrying capacity of the compartment, seems like it was 120 lbs or so, so way more than weight of battery. With the 6 volt batteries we can go for a 3 day weekend without starting the generator, unless we are using the furnace a lot. Otherwise, we love to dry camp in our Greyhawk. Oh...and about 5,000 miles towing my 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with no worries. Hope this helps.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #8

Thanks, that's great information. I have had only good news so far. Thanks again
Bduck100
Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #9

P.S. My 31DS has the upgraded 7500 lb tow capacity. The jeep is 5,000 lbs empty. Gas mileage suffers towing at about 7.5 to 8.5 mpg, but we are mostly in the mountain regions (Washington, Oregon, Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona so far). It's a V10 gas, not a diesel, so on long pulls, plan on letting it rev and taking your time, but we have done up to 8,000 feet and pretty steep in places and it will get there....just not as fast.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #10

Bduck,although I hav'nt dry camped in our Hawk(2017 MV} I can tell you that the towing power is very impressive.We tow a jeep Wrangler with no problem at all.Its a shame about the schwintec .I do think they can be upgraded to work more reliable but i guess you have exausted all options.Good luck anyway,the greyhawk is a pretty good coach.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:56 PM   #11

I primarily dry camp in my rig. I also tow an enclosed trailer that weighs over 5k when loaded with toys. Towing is not an issue with the Ford V10. I'm very impressed with the pulling power....and I'm coming from a diesel pusher previously.

The short falls in the rig for dry camping are the insufficient fresh water holding capacity, the single 12v house battery, and the much hated on demand water heater.

Sounds like you know what you are doing so I think these issues can be resolved fairly easily for your needs. I just picked up my rig in November and have immediate plans to address those three issues as soon as the desert season is over.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #12

Most timing in a Seneca without hookups

I use the Seneca for work and stay in the parking lot of the places I work for. While I am around people, I am still on my own. I find that with one person it gives me enough water, including showers, for two weeks. I did buy champion gas gen to use instead of the diesel due to efficiency. Solar is on the list for next year. I also have an extend-a-stay for extra LP.

In regards to additional water, I have a 35 gal tank that I can fill anywhere and then pump into Seneca. Using a composting toilet I don't have a black tank, so I can combined gray and black tanks.

If you have a smaller Diesel super C, I am assuming it is a Thor product; I friend of mine owned one for only a few months before taking a huge loss to unload it. He advised against that.