Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #1

Lug Bolt Question - MB 3500 Sprinter

Messing around with the spare tire project and wanted to investigate the lug bolts. Due to my discovery figured it deserved a separate post.

I read something about the bolts being shorter/different for the OEM steel wheels (this is what I am using for a spare) so I purchased the 0009902407 lug bolts. I took the supplied lug wrench that was in the cab area and attempted to remove one of the lug nut/bolts to compare the difference in the OEM and then the bolts which are used for custom/aluminum wheels. Wouldn't you know, the lug wrench didn't fit the bolt. Grabbed a 21MM socket and it fit, started turning and a cap popped off to reveal the nut/bolt. Well the OEM wrench fit this time but I almost pulled my back trying to turn the nut. Used my foot and nothing. I finally started to loosen it using my longer 1/2" torque wrench. Guess I will also need to carry this item on trips. Anyway, to my surprise it was an actual nut (and not a very heavy duty one) that spun off not an actual bolt. I am confused since all of the breakdowns I find on-line don't mention nuts. I didn't remove all of them to see exactly how they are truly attached. Oh well - I will just keep them in the RV since you never know. I am just confused that there are nuts..
Now I need to figure out how to get the chrome caps to stay back on. They don't seem to want to lock back, even with tapping them, any ideas?

Diagram Used For 3500 Sprinter
https://parts.mbfm.com/a/Mercedes-Be...S/5911370.html

Bolts I purchased - actual nut that came off which did fit the bolt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	studs1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	40637

Click image for larger version

Name:	studs2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	40638

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

I have been working through this as well. I just saw saw a pair of pliers specifically designed to remove the stainless caps, I have to find it again and will post it. I am not sure what happens, but when I ordered lug bolts for my rig by the VIN, I got bolts, not nuts.
I also ordered a used steel wheel and it clearly shows the nut washer contact, it came from a commercial van sprinter. Go figure.
I went through the same thing as you, I have one cap that seems to be distorted because I used a socket without taking the cap off. I am going to try and reform the round divots on the nut flanks and see if it will get a grip!

It's pretty bad when the high point of my day is stopping to look at lug nuts on every Sprinter I see. I guess the upside is that the nuts will work on steel or aluminum wheels regardless, with no concern about wheel thicKness or bolt length.
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #3

Crazy, right? Think I read that somewhere on a Sprinter forum about don't give them the vin or you will get the bolts we both ended up with. I'm thinking about just using locktite or something on the caps and then truly hope I never need to remove them. Maybe someone on here or the Sprinter forum has rotated the tires and have some advice on the way to reinstall. Please post up the tool you mentioned if you can find - go figure one more purchase required - story my life -

Good thing to see I am not alone

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote