Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #1

Made the switch to Recpro recliners

I know this thread has been covered well, but wanted to share. We suffered long enough with that horrible jackknife sofa Jayco installed. Finally modified the slide base and put the RecPro recliners in our 15’ 31FS. Install took some time, but turned out well. Very comfortable and appear to be well made. This may be my new favorite mod!
Attached Thumbnails
B52361EB-5EAD-4EA1-A4F8-34F98E3F2C8E.jpg   402DE385-1017-4B3F-A70C-550A042BC08B.jpg  
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #2

Nice! I'm thinking about replacing my couch with a set like this.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

Yeah, looks very comfy. Looks great too.

I hate my jackknife sofa as well. Probably the most uncomfortable couch I've ever been on in my life.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #4

That looks outstanding!

I've been trying to convince DW we need to do this for years now. If we had kept our TT, that was one of the non-negotiable mods that I planned because the coating on the couch was flaking off pretty bad. AND it was useless to me as a couch OR as a bed. We used it as a bed exactly once in the almost 5 years we owned that rig. We never did it and traded the unit in.

Now, in the MH, I've almost got her convinced. The only holdup is that a buddy and I are going to use the rig to go hunting soon, and we want to be sure he's got a place to sleep. So the fold-out couch will survive at least one more year... Then it's on borrowed time. We VERY RARELY entertain, so recliners make A LOT more sense for us.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

I am wondering if something like this would work in the Seneca TS which has an uncomfortable small couch on the opposite side from the dinette. How wide is that sofa set?

Was it challenging to switch them out.
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
I am wondering if something like this would work in the Seneca TS which has an uncomfortable small couch on the opposite side from the dinette. How wide is that sofa set?

Was it challenging to switch them out.
This is made for small spaces at 58” wide. There are different configurations depending on your space. They do require some depth (39.5”) which is why I had to mod my slide base. Full specs on the website.

Most challenging thing for me was the platform mod and getting the recliners lined up perfectly so I didn’t have to trim/remove my window valances. I had to move some electrical which was minor, also. Easily doable if you are handy and well worth it!
Old 09-25-2019, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
Yeah, looks very comfy. Looks great too.

I hate my jackknife sofa as well. Probably the most uncomfortable couch I've ever been on in my life.
Yes, ours was absolutely horrible.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
That looks outstanding!

I've been trying to convince DW we need to do this for years now. If we had kept our TT, that was one of the non-negotiable mods that I planned because the coating on the couch was flaking off pretty bad. AND it was useless to me as a couch OR as a bed. We used it as a bed exactly once in the almost 5 years we owned that rig. We never did it and traded the unit in.

Now, in the MH, I've almost got her convinced. The only holdup is that a buddy and I are going to use the rig to go hunting soon, and we want to be sure he's got a place to sleep. So the fold-out couch will survive at least one more year... Then it's on borrowed time. We VERY RARELY entertain, so recliners make A LOT more sense for us.
Thanks, it really takes the comfort level up a notch!
We travel with small kids and have a bunkhouse, so plenty of sleeping room. Those jackknife sofas are way too small for an adult sleeping space....at least ours was. I may not even go to bed now, with these ��
Old 09-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
Thanks, it really takes the comfort level up a notch!
We travel with small kids and have a bunkhouse, so plenty of sleeping room. Those jackknife sofas are way too small for an adult sleeping space....at least ours was. I may not even go to bed now, with these ��
We looked pretty hard at the bunkhouse models, but in the end it's always just the 3 of us. For the handful of times we have someone else along, we/they will just have to make due with what we have.

Ours is the fold-out sofa-bed, so it's just ever so slightly better than a jackknife sofa. Still not all that comfortable to sit on, OR to sleep on.

When you modified the base, I see you have bolts there. Are those thru-bolted through the floor of the slide? How difficult was that to "engineer"?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
When you modified the base, I see you have bolts there. Are those thru-bolted through the floor of the slide? How difficult was that to "engineer"?
On my 31FS, those bolts are already there. Of course I don't know if the OP made any changes made during the install.

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 08:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
On my 31FS, those bolts are already there. Of course I don't know if the OP made any changes made during the install.
No changes. I used the existing sofa bolts to secure the plywood base, then bolted the RecPro to the plywood. I covered the plywood with some color matching vinyl fabric. Fairly easy with some skills, just time consuming.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #12

Quote:
We looked pretty hard at the bunkhouse models, but in the end it's always just the 3 of us. For the handful of times we have someone else along, we/they will just have to make due with what we have.

Ours is the fold-out sofa-bed, so it's just ever so slightly better than a jackknife sofa. Still not all that comfortable to sit on, OR to sleep on.

Sorry, never saw this reply. See below post. Just don’t let those bolts fall into the slide!!
Old 11-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #13

Just installed these recliners in our ‘18 Greyhawk 29MV. No need to modify the slide base (in fact, if you do, you’ll probably find that the chairs sit too high). Additionally, no need to modify the valences. Attached are pictures of my rear attachment points (1.25” #10 screws) and final install.
Attached Thumbnails
64892BAD-E92F-43C2-BD27-7E6497F55FDE.jpg   5AED9248-D399-4380-B41C-E40744E7419A (2).jpg   B27846A6-F185-4B53-99B1-0E34DBBCE972 (2).jpg  
Old 11-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #14

My furnace is under my jackknife sofa, I guess that rules out any future improvements.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #15

Is there a jackknife sofa on the market that is better quality and comfort than what comes in these rigs (2016 Greyhawk)? I’d like to keep the jackknife function for kids and grands to sleep on.... But the factory one is pretty toast in our rig after how much we have lived and traveled as a family in it.
Jay Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:40 PM   #16

Could you have quality memory foam and it recovered? I thought of that for mine.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Could you have quality memory foam and it recovered? I thought of that for mine.
Probably, but for me it's the lack of good arm support and reclining - not to mention the stress it puts on my lower back. Until we can replace ours, we have a large ottoman.

DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 AM   #18

That’s it, i need the recpro recliners. Been considering it but it looks like a must
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #19

Delivery tomorrow

Finally broke down and purchased the same set. Can’t wait to install them before our next trip in 3 weeks. Have the 2017 Precept 31UL and just hope I won’t have too much altering to fit it in. Hubby’s pretty handy so not expecting a problem.
cyclinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #20

Trying this mod out now with my 2019 31FSP (really a 31L). Did you have any issues with the gas line in your 31FS? I see they come up in the slide floor then to the back wall of the slide and over to the stove.

I don't have bolt holes through the floor from the old sofa, they used 4 sheet metal screws to mount the sofa, kind of half assed like everything else. I'll have to drill and add the bolts.

Any other tips?
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote