Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2023, 11:28 AM   #1

mag mount TOAD lights

anybody using these? would put clear tape under magnets so no scratches on 2013 CRV TOAD.

looking at the stuff eTrailer sells
HankZudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 11:45 AM   #2

I don't like the idea of the wiring issue so I put on the diodes to the rear lights on the toad vehicle so I just plug/unplug one plug and I'm done. Of course I verify they are working correctly before I get on the road.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 01:46 PM   #3

I use wireless lights on my 2014 CRV toad. Yes, they scratch the top of the CRV but you don't want anything under those magnets. If they're not solidly on some flat part of the roof, they'll blow off. Expensive lesson for me.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I use wireless lights on my 2014 CRV toad. Yes, they scratch the top of the CRV but you don't want anything under those magnets. If they're not solidly on some flat part of the roof, they'll blow off. Expensive lesson for me.
Not that I have tried, but what about using a single layer of kitchen plastic wrap? Very thin and if it doesn't get a hole rubbed in it, perhaps it would protect the finish and not diminish the magnetic strength. ~CA
Old 03-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey55 View Post
I don't like the idea of the wiring issue so I put on the diodes to the rear lights on the toad vehicle so I just plug/unplug one plug and I'm done. Of course I verify they are working correctly before I get on the road.
can you post a link to the product?
Old 03-25-2023, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
i thought 2013 was the last year CRV's could be flat towed?
Old 03-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankZudd View Post
i thought 2013 was the last year CRV's could be flat towed?
I made sure 2014 could be flat towed prior to getting the baseplate installed . I also put a switch under the dash so I could kill any parasitic draw while towing. Wired in according to instructions.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I made sure 2014 could be flat towed prior to getting the baseplate installed . I also put a switch under the dash so I could kill any parasitic draw while towing. Wired in according to instructions.
have a link to that switch?
what brake controller are u using?
Old 03-25-2023, 04:51 PM   #9

"mag mount TOAD lights
anybody using these?"

So far only one person has answered that question.
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankZudd View Post
have a link to that switch?
what brake controller are u using?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the switch I use but most any SPST switch will work.

I use the Ready Brute tow bar with Ready Brake. A cable runs from the car brake pedal to the swing arm of the tow bar.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:13 PM   #11

I use this:

https://www.truckntow.com/vulcan-wir...extopia_search

Battery life is good, wireless works really well, bright led lights. The only thing I wished is that it have a 12V passthrough on the 7-blade plug wireless plug to make it easier to run a charging cable.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 07:38 AM   #12

You're right about 2014 CRV not being on the toad list. My CRV is a 2004 so I managed to be a decade off.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:23 AM   #13

I do not use mag mounted TOAD lights. I have wired it to connect to the RV trailer plug, with diodes in the line. I got a kit from etrailer.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:33 AM   #14

As I understand it, the CRVs with the continuously variable transmission are the ones that cannot be flat towed.
RallyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #15
CAG

Firstly they do not work with Wranglers. So I don't use them nor would I. No metal to attach them and there is no way I would put something that a semi blowing by in the opposite direction in a Texas crosswind is going to blow off or across the vehicle finish. The suggestion of something under it does not take into consideration the physics of a 120 mph wind blast as the truck goes by.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 12:03 PM   #16

I used wireless magnetic tow lights on my Ford Escape for my first year until Curt came out with a custom harness so I wouldn't have to cut any wires.

I used lithium rechargeable batteries as recommended by manufacturer and they had plenty of power for a long day. My Escape had roof bars so I used velcro straps as an extra protection to keep them from sliding around or blowing off. Tiny bit of scratching that rubbing compound took care of.

My one year old lights will be for sale when I find time.
MI_Skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 01:12 PM   #17

I use them on my 2004 Wrangler. Sort of. The ones I have fit nicely mounted on the top of the taillights. Since the taillight housing is non-metallic, I zip tie them to the taillights, doubling up on all the ties. I run the connector wire inside the jeep and wrap it around the antenna then connect it to the RV. Done it that way for 10 years +.
thenovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:13 PM   #18

I have used two different Towmate magnetic lights with no problem on several different cars for nearly 10 yrs.

I do clean off the roof and magnets with a baby wipe to insure that there is no grit.

tomate.com

They are not inexpensive. But this brand is what most of the tow trucks are using. Their products are single light bar and not a pair of individual lights.

I have spoken with them on the phone and found them to be most helpful.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Firstly they do not work with Wranglers. So I don't use them nor would I. No metal to attach them and there is no way I would put something that a semi blowing by in the opposite direction in a Texas crosswind is going to blow off or across the vehicle finish. The suggestion of something under it does not take into consideration the physics of a 120 mph wind blast as the truck goes by.
The lights that I linked to above have a swiveling base so I lock the lights at a 90 degree angle and I stick the magnets onto the rear steel tailgate of my SUV. They are out of the wind and in the slipstream of the SUV. Plus they are positioned closer to the location of the actual brake/tail lights on the SUV.

The only real issue that someone might be concerned about is that the magnets are very strong, and after using them a few times I can see that the sheet metal where I have been placing the lights is deforming slightly from the force needed to remove them. My SUV is 23 years old so that doesn't really bother me.
ait109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear View Post
"mag mount TOAD lights
anybody using these?"

So far only one person has answered that question.
I use a tow dolly to pull my TOAD so i use the magnetic lights on my car. they work great. I got them at Harbor freight and they have pads on the bottom to prevent scratching. I have towed with them on in all conditions, they stick well and work perfectly.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote