Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2021, 10:04 PM   #1

Main Power Switch

The user manual really does a poor job on explaining the "Main Power" switch in my 2018 Melbourne. When I am home, plugged in the house, should that be off? What about when actually driving? It disconnects the 12 volt systems, right? Thanks from a Class C newbie!
NevadaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaJon View Post
The user manual really does a poor job on explaining the "Main Power" switch in my 2018 Melbourne. When I am home, plugged in the house, should that be off? What about when actually driving? It disconnects the 12 volt systems, right? Thanks from a Class C newbie!
The only time it should be off is when in storage with no shore power connected, otherwise there is no reason for it to be off. It's just there to save the house batteries from discharging. Bought our first MH in 2001 and sold the last one in 2014 and I only turned if off if I had them at a dealer for something. They were stored at home connected to shore power.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Some people (half-jokingly) refer to that switch as the "Salesman's switch" since it is often only turned off while on the dealer lot awaiting sale. The salesman turns it on so the lights will work for potential buyers. I turn mine off over the winter to slightly reduce (but not eliminate) battery drain. Once the camping season begins, it stays on all the time whether parked, driving, or camping.