Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #21

jestew3, you said -"I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, I found that on my Seneca you can play the TV audio through the Aux 2 input."

Jestew3, I didn't take it that you were trying to be anything and I'm glad you got back to me. "TV audio through the Aux 2 input".

Sorry, you're going to have to explain further. A little confused here "Aux 2 input" on what? Radio, TV, HDMI? I feel this is so over my head and yet, I know it isn't that hard.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestew3 View Post
Can you play the TV sound through the overhead coach speakers?
I have a 2014 Seneca and I can indeed route the overhead TV audio to the Clarion cab stereo and thereby play it through the overhead coach speakers. I use the dash stereo's remote to control that volume and even "mix" it with the TV's built-in speakers to create something resembling surround sound. Since I installed an Alpine subwoofer for the cab stereo under the front passenger seat, it also has far better bass than the TV or overhead speakers supply. But I want even better! I am probably going to install a "real" surround sound system for the front TV later this year. Looking at Bluetooth wireless options. I have already replaced the O.E. Continu-us 32" front TV with a 40" Samsung. Had to adapt the powered mount, it just fits and is a huge (pardon the pun) difference.

While on the TV subject, I also replaced the bedroom cabinet door-mounted TV and installed a Vizio soundbar to improve that unit's sound. In the 37TS bedroom, the stock TV was at a very poor viewing angle installed behind a cabinet door. So I replaced that TV with a larger Samsung and put it on a tilting full-motion bracket. Instead of residing behind the door, it now lays outside the door. When we are set up the TV is swiveled over and angled down for a great viewing position from the bed. When travelling, the TV is pushed back against the door and two webbed straps with quick-release buckles hold the TV tight against the door. The cabinet door can still be opened and the full capacity of that cabinet is still available. The new soundbar is installed on the trim above the sliding wardrobe doors. Wonderful improvement in sound quality.

Another upcoming project is putting a larger TV outside, also to be installed on a tilting bracket for a better viewing angle. I purchased an Autopro in-dash 12-volt Blu-ray player that I will install to augment the existing Sony DVD-only player for outside viewing. Most of our video collection is Blu-ray, so I wanted to be able to play them outside too.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #23

jestew3 and others - I GOT IT! Figured out where the "Aux2" was on the Jensen radio. Thank you, thank you, thank you for sticking with me on this. Man, I feel so dumb. I had pulled that connection on the back of the TV, to hook up a portable local speaker.

Serene Innovations TV-SB Portable Wireless Tv Soundbox

Have left both hanging on the back of the TV and labeled, so I can switch from one to the other. The serene speaker works great when SWMBO is still sleeping. So basically, I now have another option of the best of both worlds.

This is very cool! I feel so accomplished this morning and the day has just begun.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #24

Okay, you guys have been such a great help, let me ask another related question.

Concerning the plug on the back of the TV, that I'm switching from the Jensen in dash Aux 2 to the Serene portable speaker. What is the plug called and can I piggy back them, so I don't have to unplug one and plug in the other? You know, a dual plug, so both can be plugged in all the time.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
Old 02-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #25

I may need to invest in one of those as well. With 5 kids running around, sometimes its a little hard to hear the TV!!! Which is why I love the car audio speakers that are with the outdoor TV.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #26

Is there a way to get the outside tv sound to play on the outside stereo speakers ?
Previous RVs: 3 truck campers and 2 fifth wheels
Love the Seneca. Toad 2018 Ford F-150
Mnwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnwelsh View Post
Is there a way to get the outside tv sound to play on the outside stereo speakers ?
My Seneca's outside TV originally would only output sound to the two external speakers if I was actually playing a DVD on the external Sony unit. If I played broadcast TV, it only would come out of the (poor) TV speakers. That is until I pulled the Sony stereo out and hooked up the TV's Left and Right audio output connections to the Sony Radio/DVD player's auxiliary input connections using a short RCA-jack patch cord. I now can select the Sony's Aux input and it then will play the TV's output through the speakers. Much better!

It isn't that Jayco just missed plugging the cord in or it came dislodged at some point, there was no patch cord there at all. But once I hooked it up it works great. So I don't know if it was overlooked or they choose not to do it.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #28

Thanks for that info, big help. Now I have my next project.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #29

Quote:
Thanks for that info, big help. Now I have my next project.
It literally took only 5 minutes once I had the patch cord. I removed the external Sony stereo using the two removal tools that came in the delivery packet and instructions. You pop off the Sony's removable faceplate, you also have to pop off the plastic trim piece that goes around the edge of the unit to conceal the opening. This trim piece has to be carefully released since it is rather thin and you don't want to break it.

You then can slip the tools into the slots at the sides of the Sony, this allows the unit to "unlatch" and then you can pull it straight out. Be careful now, there are several power, audio, and video connections that have to come through the mounting "sleeve", and the edges of the sleeve are sharp sheet metal. I only pulled the stereo out far enough to access the Aux connectors which are part of the harness coming off the rear of the unit and were clearly marked "Aux Input" and were not already connected to anything.

I used a 3' or so piece of wire, snaking it down behind the TV and towards the stereo opening. A helper here is useful to grab the wire through the opening the stereo resides in. Again, be careful of the sharp metal edges. I then temporarily taped the patch cord to my wire and pulled the wire and attached patch cord up and out so I could connect it to the TV audio outputs. In my case (a Continu:us TV) the audio "out" connections were located on the left rear edge of the TV. I had to use a mirror to see which connection I needed, but was able to then plug them into the TV by "feel", verifying proper connection with the mirror afterwards. That saved me removing and replacing the TV itself. If you have a different model TV your output connections may be harder to access.

Then I plugged the other end of the patch cord into the Sony's input connections, putting some electrical tape on them (and the other A/V connectors already there) to keep them from accidentally coming unplugged bouncing down the road. I tested the system before sliding the stereo back into the mounting sleeve to make sure everything was good.

On my external Sony there is a "Source" button that cycles through all of the inputs such as AM, FM1, FM2, DVD, and Aux. It shows which one has been selected on the Sony's small display. Aux is what I need to choose to take in and amplify the TV's input.

Good luck, I hope your setup is similar and this works for you.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #30

Thanks again, all my TVs are Jensens
Old 02-03-2016, 05:10 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks again, all my TVs are Jensens
Hopefully they also have "Audio Out" jacks in an accessible location. It is probable that the manual for the TV will identify if you have them and where they are located.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #32

Maybe this explains why my front TV in my 2018 is so low volume even though it's set on 50 plus tv volume. Going to have to try this with our radio as we have an aux setting but I thought that was for the phone connection under the cupholder.
Pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote