Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Mattress

We have a short queen mattress but it folds because we have a slide in (Greyhawk 26Y). We put a 2" memory foam on top so it easily folds too. This hasn't helped. The mattress is not comfortable and we both seem to fall into the center. Has anyone replaced with a better mattress and what did you get
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:59 AM   #2

Sometime the easy way is a proven blow up. Some are economical, some support 600lbs.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:12 AM   #3

We replaced ours with a "mattress in a box". It wasn't a Casper https://casper.com/mattresses/casper/ but similar.

Pros:
Much more comfortable and supportive.

Cons: Longer than the RV Queen so the end is unsupported which makes sitting and putting on clothes a pain. I just haven't cut and installed a new piece of plywood. The lift on the bed is under-powered for the weight of the new mattress combined with the longer reach to the plywood base makes lifting a ^%$ x2. We have a short wall at the end of the mattress and it's a tight squeeze getting by. Disposing of an old mattress was a hassle.

Bottom Line: We wish he made the change a year sooner.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
We replaced ours with a "mattress in a box". It wasn't a Casper https://casper.com/mattresses/casper/ but similar.

Pros:
Much more comfortable and supportive.

Cons: Longer than the RV Queen so the end is unsupported which makes sitting and putting on clothes a pain. I just haven't cut and installed a new piece of plywood. The lift on the bed is under-powered for the weight of the new mattress combined with the longer reach to the plywood base makes lifting a ^%$ x2. We have a short wall at the end of the mattress and it's a tight squeeze getting by. Disposing of an old mattress was a hassle.

Bottom Line: We wish he made the change a year sooner.
So if it wasn't a Casper, what was it?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
So if it wasn't a Casper, what was it?
I wish I could remember. I would go check but my TT is in a storage yard. I believe it was a Leesa.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #6

Zinus sells "short queen" size memory foam mattresses. I got the 10 inch and it is great.

Search short queen or zinus and specify posts to see a lot of posts on these and other mattresses that fit.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:01 AM   #7

The wife was having serious issues with the Jayco factory mattress. Bought a high end topper, didn't work for us. The topper was always sliding off the mattress and wasn't that comfortable.
We were on vacation and she couldn't take it any longer. She called Camping World, they had mattresses in stock, she went over and bought this one (link below) and loves it. I must say, it was a huge difference and should have bit the bullet a long time ago.
Good Luck!

https://www.campingworld.com/motorho...m%2Fmattresses
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #8

Mattress

Wish all your answers helped but my problem is that it must fold and two thirds of our mattress is one size and the last 1/3 folds and is nearly twice as thick as the rest
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
Wish all your answers helped but my problem is that it must fold and two thirds of our mattress is one size and the last 1/3 folds and is nearly twice as thick as the rest
You may be able to have one "custom" made. I don't remember who has done this or who they used, but a few forum members have had it done. They get a nice mattress that folds up to accommodate the slide.

You also will want to take a look at the platform/base. Make sure it's got adequate support. Many rigs' bed platforms have been built with what I can only refer to as "sub-standard" methods and are prone to failure.

If you didn't need a folding mattress, I would recommend the Zinus. We have several around our house (in fact, we just got a new one for the master), and one in our MH, and they are a good product for us so far.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:05 PM   #10

I have not sprung for one yet, but I am looking at a TOCHTA mattress. They will custom make a mattress to fit any dimensions. I too have a short queen in my RV and it is horrible.

Good Luck and Happy Camping!
Tobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Following this as I have the same mattress and have been wondering about options for replacement.
pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:53 PM   #12

I recommend the Zinus as well. The 10" short queen goes down to about $160 on amazon.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurv View Post
I recommend the Zinus as well. The 10" short queen goes down to about $160 on amazon.
But they don't sell it as a foldable unit which is what OP's floorplan requires because the bed is in a slide, and requires the mattress to be folded when you bring it in.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #14
dsh

Quote:

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on. My husband added a piece of plywood to the base under the part that flips up so it is more level but it is still not comfortable. I will be interested if anyone has an vendor for a replacement.
dsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:45 AM   #15

Memory foam mattresses can be cut easily with a serrated knife to accommodate the fold.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #16
dsh

My mattress now has to fold all the way back for the slide to come in. If the memory foam were only cut part of the way through to allow the fold wouldn't that cause it to tear with use? My mattress is two pieces that are held together by the covering, which has started to unravel.
dsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #17

I cut a four inch topper and it showed no signs of continuing to unravel. The stuff is quite dense. But as they say YMMV. Perhaps a fabric in-between to protect it would work.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #18

Natural Latex Foam Mattress

Our mattress does not need to be folded, but it could if it had to. If you Google Natural Latex Foam, you will find places that manufacture and/or sell these mattresses. They can easily be custom made. They need to rest on a platform. You can get a cover that is made to fit your mattress. Latex is dense foam that will last a long time. I replaced our Denver mattress after one night with the latex. I bought the mattress in CT and it was shipped in a box. I bought the cover in CO. I just searched for these two items. I suggest you try before you buy. I’m sure there is a latex foam manufacturer or retail store not too far from you. You could even get it made in two pieces and put some kind of gripper (like a rug gripper so small rugs don’t slip) on the platform where the two pieces of latex would be so the pieces don’t separate when you’re sleeping. We will soon purchase a latex mattress from Sleep On Latex for our home bed. Read the review in Consumer Reports.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I replaced our Denver mattress after one night.

What kills me is that this local company actually makes some good stuff. We have several of their mattresses in the house.

And they do make, what looks like, a real mattress - short queen, radiused corners:
https://denvermattress.furniturerow....ialty-Mattress

I'd like to find the RV rep that agreed to sell junk and throttle them.
Old 05-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #20

We bought one from mattress insider. We love it. I think they might be able to custom make it as they make each one when u order it. Good luck

Billy, Pam, and Ally
2019 Redhawk 29XK/2017 Wrangler, TOAD
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote