Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2018, 07:45 PM   #1

Melbourne 24K 2016 Missing Grill Quick Connect

This model has a diesel generator. It is missing the propane grill quick connect, which is standard in the brochure. Other posts mention the quick connect location is by the steps. Inspection of the chassis reveals two hoses tie wrapped in a circle with one hose labeled grill, and both routed to the diesel generator's fuel input ports. I did not follow to the source but assume they somehow tap into the diesel tank. Is this normal to loose the quick connect to diesel fuel lines? I would like to have a grill quick connect. Interesting that the propane hoses are used for diesel. I assumed that the fuel lines under the chassis would be metal.

I replaced the sink faucet and found some interesting stuff under the sink and behind the curtain sort of speak. Pray the screws do not pierce all the hidden wiring. Coax cabling not finished. Guess that is considered prewired?

My first RV. Graduating from 50 years of tent camping.

Help much appreciated and thanks,
Kevin
krmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #2

Just because it's stated in the brochure doesn't mean it necessarily IS! Also says it has a procelain toilet - I'd almost guarantee yours probably doesn't. E-mail Jayco tech department with your questions. They've been very helpful when we've contacted them. They all have a few bugs; but all in all, we love our Melbourne K. Hope you do, too.

There are a couple of people on this forum who have 2016s that have diesel generators (ours is propane). Maybe they'll respond to your grill question.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum. My 2016 24K with diesel generator doesn’t have the grill connect either. I wouldn’t be surprised if the they used a propane hose for diesel fuel. I would inspect the hoses and make sure they just didn’t label it wrong. I am not sure how diesel fuel will affect the hose if it is propane hose but I would want to know if I was you. They swapped the diesel supply and return hoses on mine so the supply line was at a higher part of the tank. Piped like this my generator would cut off at 3/4 tank instead of at about 1/4 tank.
It wouldn’t be that hard to add an additional line for a portable grill.
I have this on my Amazon wish list but we don’t cook that much so I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014JG7RQ...lig_dp_it&th=1
If you boondock a lot it would let you run off a portable tank as well with the link I provided but there are other options for just running an additional appliance.
What faucet did you go with? I need to change mine again. I changed it once already under warranty but it is leaking again. I am glad I spotted the leak because it just runs down the hose into the cabinet.
Very shotty workmanship in areas. Check your heater ductwork behind the vents for the furnace and refrigerator inside. The holes the ducts ran through were rough and the ducts were showing some wear from rubbing against it. If left alone they would have leaked over time.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #4

I located the price list that came with the RV and cannot find mention of the grill quick connect, so I cannot claim foul. I purchased a small 4lb propane tank and can park the grill wherever I want. So, not having the quick connect worked out though I am a little nervous about traveling with a propane tank in the storage compartment. I need some protection from the on-off valve getting turned on accidentally.

I did inspect the hoses, which is how I discovered their reappropriation.

I was wondering how they detected a quarter tank of diesel. The generator defiantly cuts out at a quarter of a tank. The first time it stopped running I thought I had a problem until I remembered the low fuel protection feature.

I used a Moen faucet. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Moen-Edwyn-Spot-Resist-Stainless-1-Handle-Deck-Mount-Pull-Down-Kitchen-Faucet/1000062485

I use rubber bands to keep the faucet closed as sometimes it gets hit and when I turn the water on there is a bit of a mess. Fortunately, my wife caught the open faucet in time this weekend while I was connecting the water.

To replace you should pull the back panel off and reattach using an 18 gauge nail gun. I dropped a tool back there and had to remove but replacing the faucet became much easier once the panel was out of the way. There is a weight on the supply line used to retract the sprinkler back into the faucet. When retracting I sometimes feel some interference because of the proximity of the drain and supply lines to the weight.

I'll check my ducts.
krmorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
24k, generator, grill, melbourne, propane