Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2023, 05:35 PM   #1

Melbourne 24K Backup Camera Broken

I have a 2017 Melbourne 24K with an RVS-917 backup camera that feeds in to my Pioneer head unit in the RV. Last year the camera started acting up and would work sometimes, and sometimes have a grey screen when it wasn't working. This year, I only have a black screen, and no video at all displayed on the Pioneer unit.

I contacted RVS, and they provided a trouble-shooting diagram for a camera/display system that uses the 917 camera. I cupped the camera sensor, and got up and looked and I don't believe the LED for the night vision are coming on. As a result, I believe I've lost power to the camera.

I contacted Jayco, and they sent me an assembly type drawing for the wire harness. I have asked for a schematic.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their camera, and if so how did they trouble-shoot? Also, any details on the power connections, fuses, or whether there is slack in the camera wiring would be very helpful. Thanks.
bill_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:10 AM   #2

I haven't had your issue but I have taken the head unit out and looked into replacing the rear camera or adjusting the camera angle. The camera wiring first appeared to not have any slack, but the connector was hung up in the hole. There was enough slack to work with but not much more. I took the head unit out because I wasn't getting a good radio reception. Turns out the antenna wire plug had worked its way loose. It was a rats nest back there and appeared the head unit/wiring was just shoved in. I was able to tie some bundles together and put it back together without having to "shove" it back in. Hope this helps and good luck finding your problem.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the input. I'll likely be pulling the head unit out to have a look. I checked the Pioneer documents today as I thought the head unit might power the camera - no dice. Will need some input from Jayco to point me to the wiring as it looks like this is done on some other internal 12V circuit. Any tips on pulling the head unit? It looks like a trim tool, and a little prying/tugging will get me to where some screws are.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #4

It has been a couple of years, but I believe the narrow trim around the unit pops off exposing 4 screws that hold it in. Not sure where the camera gets its power, but it must be an "ignition on" source close to the rear because my camera is available whenever we are running and not just in reverse.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:25 AM   #5

I installed slide toppers, so part of my view is blocked. Thats why I was seeing if the angle was adjustable. If you dont have slide toppers, trying to sleep in the rain is impossible.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:28 AM   #6

Understood on the slide toppers. Have thought about those, but as with all things camping or being on the road, ear plugs are my go to for sleeping.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:08 AM   #7

There are a couple of ways to get power to the camera. One way is to wire the camera's power lead (usually red) to the reverse lights. This way, when the vehicle is in reverse, the camera is on.

However, this would not allow you to operate the camera when driving forward down the road, as some people want to be able to do. In that case, a power lead would have to be run to the camera. It could be "hot always" or "hot only when the key is on or engine running". The head unit would then have to have an option to operate the camera when wanted.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #8

I believe that the camera is powered by in ignition controlled wire and is always on when the vehicle is on (can view it any time in the head unit options for display). A "in reverse" wire is run to the head unit which automatically switches it to monitor the camera in reverse (have confirmed this in the head unit documentation). I just wish Jayco could tell me the exact wiring details. So far they just said there's a 10 amp fuse under the steering wheel, not sure what else is on the circuit as the camera draws 50 mA...
Old 03-23-2023, 04:06 PM   #9

Trouble-shooting Results

Pulled my head unit and did some head scratching. Turns out Jayco ordered the RVS-917 back-up camera/brake light with the 5 pin connector option and a small RVS Systems jumper to mate with the head unit. Per the helpful lady at RVS Systems, there is supposed to be a connector on the camera end too. I got the pinout for the 5 pin - power was OK, and I could ohm out the 75 ohm load within the jumper. Also turns out the red and black wires coming out of the camera/brake light assembly are to interface with the brake light (this still works). Looks like I'm putting a new RVS-917 on order.

Note that the jumper has 3 connections - power (Jayco wired to a mystery fuse under the steering wheel I'm told), white RCA (is sound for some cameras, but not this one), and yellow RCA (75 ohm video). Looks like pin 4 is the ground for just video from the camera and connects to coax return, and of course pin 3 is not used. I tried to attach the 5 pin pinout in a pdf.

While I was looking at the back of the unit, I noticed my tail light LEDs aren't all there. Guess I'll order some more of those lights and replace those too...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVS917 5 Pin Pinout.pdf (449.9 KB, 23 views)

Tags
backup camera issue, backup camera wiring, melbourne 24