Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

Melbourne 24k Hot Water Bypass

Just to clarify-the only way to bypass the hot water tank is to pull the vent off under the refrigerator, close the in and out valve on the tank and open the bypass? cannot bypass from control center?

New owner and would like to sanitize the fresh water tank.

Thanks
mc2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:43 AM   #2

If you find another way let me know. I was thinking of using strong magnets to hold the vent on but once or twice a year removing it isn't that bad.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #3

agreed-just trying to clarify that you must pull the vent to bypass and that there is no other way.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

It is the only way. I'm putting hinges and a magnetic catch on mine this fall just because I'm tired of crawling on the floor in a dim space to take out 4 screws
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
It is the only way. I'm putting hinges and a magnetic catch on mine this fall just because I'm tired of crawling on the floor in a dim space to take out 4 screws
Just remember the cover is made of what seems to be cardboard, screws in and out for a couple of years and the panel will be toast. I put a rare earth magnet on each corner and Voila, problem solved. Picked them up at Lee Valley.
Gord60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord60 View Post
Just remember the cover is made of what seems to be cardboard, screws in and out for a couple of years and the panel will be toast. I put a rare earth magnet on each corner and Voila, problem solved. Picked them up at Lee Valley.

That is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the information
Old 10-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc2400 View Post
Just to clarify-the only way to bypass the hot water tank is to pull the vent off under the refrigerator, close the in and out valve on the tank and open the bypass? cannot bypass from control center?

New owner and would like to sanitize the fresh water tank.

Thanks
Thanks for the valuable info! I have a 2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K. It's our 1st year owning it. I'm winterizing and have a couple of questions. Looking at the utility center, what's the 2nd unmarked water inlet? It's directly below the marked city water inlet. Also, I see 4 unmarked lines with valves below the utility control panel. I'm guessing they're a bypass for the water filter canister. The line farthest to the right is, I think, the low point drain. What are the valve configs to bypass the water filter canister? Do I put the water heater in bypass mode before I pump rv antifreeze through the lines? Thanks All, Rick and Deb
RicknDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknDeb View Post
Thanks for the valuable info! I have a 2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K. It's our 1st year owning it. I'm winterizing and have a couple of questions. Looking at the utility center, what's the 2nd unmarked water inlet? It's directly below the marked city water inlet. Also, I see 4 unmarked lines with valves below the utility control panel. I'm guessing they're a bypass for the water filter canister. The line farthest to the right is, I think, the low point drain. What are the valve configs to bypass the water filter canister? Do I put the water heater in bypass mode before I pump rv antifreeze through the lines? Thanks All, Rick and Deb
RnD: The second unmarked inlet is your black tank flush connection (I clearly marked mine with a permanent marker after almost filling my black tank by accident when I thought I was filling my fresh water!!)
The 4 lines you see in the back of the cavity are the low point drain lines for the entire coach (hot/cold lines, fresh tank).
There isn't a drain line for the water filter...or I haven't found it. You need to remove the filter for the winter before you winterize (especially if you use the pink juice (rv antifreeze)...don't ask me how I know...because you can't add antifreeze to the system AND bypass the canister (or at least I can't figure out how to do it.)
YES...you need to bypass you water heater...the valves are under the fridge. We have the exact same rig so let me know if you need more info and I'll do my best to help.
DnB
Old 10-31-2019, 07:51 AM   #10

2016 Jayco Melbourne 24K Water Heater Bypass Config

Hello DnB! Thanks for the quick response! The manual is woefully inadequate in giving clear and concise explanations to procedures. The phrase,"If so equipped", is a proverbial black hole!

You have answered all my questions and I'll complete my winterization before tonight's freeze!

I appreciate your offer for further consultation and will take you up on it as questions arise. RicknDeb
RicknDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicknDeb View Post
Hello DnB! Thanks for the quick response! The manual is woefully inadequate in giving clear and concise explanations to procedures. The phrase,"If so equipped", is a proverbial black hole!

You have answered all my questions and I'll complete my winterization before tonight's freeze!

I appreciate your offer for further consultation and will take you up on it as questions arise. RicknDeb
No problem...I had (still have) a ton of questions when I bought mine used a couple years ago. PM me if you have more questions.
Old 11-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #12

We didn't use magnets but velcro.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote