Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #1

Melbourne 24K on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis- couple issues

We have had our 2016 Melbourne for about 18 months. First real issue is a leak in the visor housing above the driver’s head. The housing is original Sprinter equipment but we are thinking something about the Jayco installed overhang has a gap allowing rain to seep in. First trip to the dealer they couldn’t find anything but when we had the same leak with a light rain we took it in and said keep it till you fix it. Has anyone else dealt with a similar leak? If it rains long enough the headliner along the visor housing will get soaked.
And I hate to even bring up the subject of the folding mattress again.... why wouldn’t a memory foam mattress fold up enough to bring the slide in? Consumer ReClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	36715Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	36716ports rates Costco’s Novafoam fairly high, and it costs around $600. We could trim the length if necessary. Costco’s return policy is so forgiving we are about ready to buy one and replace the uncomfortable thing it in now. We tried a foam topped but that didn’t help enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #2

Its typical that a dealer can't fix certain problems since they don't know what to look for. I would follow up with an email to Jayco along with your VIN and ask them if this has been a problem with others and how did they fix the problem. Hopefully its a simple fix.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

It sounds like the seal that joins the MB Chassis and the cab-over part. I would assume there is some sort of rubber seal underneath that caulking strip but I don't know. I would also assume this rubber seal is the main weather seal for the cab and the caulking is just to dress it up. Even if they find and issue with the caulking I would question the integrity of the rubber seal if there is one. They should be able to duplicate it with a hose.

Don't get me started on the mattress. I think as long as the foam isn't too thick it would fold enough but how would you handle the step down on the mattress platform with a regular foam mattress? I have talked to but haven't gotten a quote from a company that would make a folding mattress with 2 foam thicknesses but I cant find the name right now. When I find it I will share it with you. DW says lets deal with it in case we decide to upgrade or until it wears out. It hasn't been too bad since I put the wood in there to fill the gap.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
It sounds like the seal that joins the MB Chassis and the cab-over part. I would assume there is some sort of rubber seal underneath that caulking strip but I don't know. I would also assume this rubber seal is the main weather seal for the cab and the caulking is just to dress it up. Even if they find and issue with the caulking I would question the integrity of the rubber seal if there is one. They should be able to duplicate it with a hose.

Don't get me started on the mattress. I think as long as the foam isn't too thick it would fold enough but how would you handle the step down on the mattress platform with a regular foam mattress? I have talked to but haven't gotten a quote from a company that would make a folding mattress with 2 foam thicknesses but I cant find the name right now. When I find it I will share it with you. DW says lets deal with it in case we decide to upgrade or until it wears out. It hasn't been too bad since I put the wood in there to fill the gap.

Perhaps we could use part of the topper we currently use and fill the gap? Hubby hasn’t even noticed the gap 🤣 so I don’t try to complain about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #5

Mattress Drama..

I think I will get a 6" memory foam mattress and cut it to the correct length. Then build a lightweight platform for the lower section to keep the bed level. Also make it where it can be stored on the upper level when travelling. Being only 6" it should be able to fold up enough to bring the slide in. Also with my current 3" memory foam topper hopefully it will be comfortable enough. Anything would be an improvement over my new sinkhole...

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 AM   #6

Hope you get leak fixed you do not want mold
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #7

While the leak is visible at the visor, the water can be getting around the seal somewhere else and migrating to exit there. The water entry causing the leak you found could be above the visor or 10 feet away, further back in the unit, but the only place it can drip out is where you see it. Jayco will probably need to remove their top, try to locate a bad spot on the seal (rolled, cut, nicked, etc) and replace the section or entire seal.

Water will both enter and exit at the point of least resistance to flow. It could, in theory enter towards the back of the unit, flow along the seal (gasket) and exit in the front. The dealer shouldn't assume water is getting around the seal immediately above where you find it.

In all honestly, this is going to be hard to figure out and will take time, patience and experience to determine the entry point of the water and proper method of repair. Running a bead of silicon around the seam is not a permanent or correct fix. My guess is a nicked, cut or improperly applied seal further back in the vehicle. You might also have other seepage you haven't seen (hidden behind cabinets or hasn't soaked thru wall materials. And a water leak can lead to the metal seam of the truck body rusting and major damage down the road.

I would definitely contact Jayco and consider taking it to their repair center in Indiana to let them fix this, especially if your dealer cannot figure it out. Also, the dealer could remove the headliner to try to find the source. But again, a bead of silicon is not the best fix. Seal replacement, requiring top removal is.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #8

I would suggest looking at the marker lights. These are moved by jayco when they add the cap. A bad seal in these lights would run down the front cap and come out around the cap seal and original cab. Worth a quick inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Suggest you definitely contact Jayco, especially since your unit will be out of warranty soon. The factory told us that once it's on the books, they have to go beyond the warranty expiration date to find and fix the problem. We have an appointment in May to fix a water leak in our back bedroom slide. Worth the long trip to get it right. Our dealer flunked, and our warranty is out on May 18th! Jayco knows what the problem is, and we're confident that it will be fixed properly.

Honestly, we've said it before, but a couple of pool noodles in the bend of that mattress makes a world of difference, are easy to slip in when the mattress is extended and is a light-weight fix. It's a shame the mattress is such a screwy design, but this has worked for us. Pool noodles are $2 a piece - just give it a try.

As I like to say at the end of any of these posts, we've had our Melbourne for almost two years now, it now has 20,000 miles on it, and we love everything about it. In 2017 we were out for 4 months (not all at the same time). We've been all over the country, have plenty of power on every type of road, tow a Jeep behind us, and we've had minimal problems.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I would suggest looking at the marker lights. These are moved by jayco when they add the cap. A bad seal in these lights would run down the front cap and come out around the cap seal and original cab. Worth a quick inspection.

Thanks! What are marker lights? The rig is at the dealer right now so I can’t go out and see what you perhaps are referring to. Good suggestion.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Suggest you definitely contact Jayco, especially since your unit will be out of warranty soon. The factory told us that once it's on the books, they have to go beyond the warranty expiration date to find and fix the problem. We have an appointment in May to fix a water leak in our back bedroom slide. Worth the long trip to get it right. Our dealer flunked, and our warranty is out on May 18th! Jayco knows what the problem is, and we're confident that it will be fixed properly.

Honestly, we've said it before, but a couple of pool noodles in the bend of that mattress makes a world of difference, are easy to slip in when the mattress is extended and is a light-weight fix. It's a shame the mattress is such a screwy design, but this has worked for us. Pool noodles are $2 a piece - just give it a try.

As I like to say at the end of any of these posts, we've had our Melbourne for almost two years now, it now has 20,000 miles on it, and we love everything about it. In 2017 we were out for 4 months (not all at the same time). We've been all over the country, have plenty of power on every type of road, tow a Jeep behind us, and we've had minimal problems.

We too have had a great experience with our Melbourne, this is the first real issue we have had. It’s been to Alaska and back, Sept 2018 we are driving from Northern California to the East Coast, going east on Highway 50, across to Chicago and coming home on Route 66. We might match your 20,000 miles by then?

Will try the pool noodles for the bed, we certainly use them for many other hacks as well! After hubby cut his head by walking into the back slider, we now put them lengthwise on each vertical corners.

ARe driving it to Indiana for repairs? That’s an awfully long distance for us [emoji6]

Old 01-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
While the leak is visible at the visor, the water can be getting around the seal somewhere else and migrating to exit there. The water entry causing the leak you found could be above the visor or 10 feet away, further back in the unit, but the only place it can drip out is where you see it. Jayco will probably need to remove their top, try to locate a bad spot on the seal (rolled, cut, nicked, etc) and replace the section or entire seal.

Water will both enter and exit at the point of least resistance to flow. It could, in theory enter towards the back of the unit, flow along the seal (gasket) and exit in the front. The dealer shouldn't assume water is getting around the seal immediately above where you find it.

In all honestly, this is going to be hard to figure out and will take time, patience and experience to determine the entry point of the water and proper method of repair. Running a bead of silicon around the seam is not a permanent or correct fix. My guess is a nicked, cut or improperly applied seal further back in the vehicle. You might also have other seepage you haven't seen (hidden behind cabinets or hasn't soaked thru wall materials. And a water leak can lead to the metal seam of the truck body rusting and major damage down the road.

I would definitely contact Jayco and consider taking it to their repair center in Indiana to let them fix this, especially if your dealer cannot figure it out. Also, the dealer could remove the headliner to try to find the source. But again, a bead of silicon is not the best fix. Seal replacement, requiring top removal is.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will definitely contact Jayco about this leak. Indiana is an awfully long distance from California though [emoji6]

Old 01-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #13

Melbourne 24K on Mercedes Sprinter Chassis- couple issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
Thanks! What are marker lights? The rig is at the dealer right now so I can’t go out and see what you perhaps are referring to. Good suggestion.

Marker lights are the 5 lights on top of the front cap. I might have misspoke about being on the sprinter, they appear to be added on by jayco. If one was to leak it would allow water to enter the front cap.

This was mentioned in a post for a Seneca and I think the caps would be similar. The cap is attached to the top of the sprinter with a gasket. While that might fail i would think that would be one of the last items to have a failure Most likely causes are gasket failure on the top and or lights, air conditioner, antennas ext. check all those areas.

Good luck and please post your results when you fix it.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:02 PM   #14

Sorry about the leak.........Maddening.........

We too have a Melbourne. 24M. 2017. About 4,000 miles. So far, we love it.
This past weekend, we found a wonderful campground near Los Alamos, NM. Wanted to see if we could survive in the cold. The forecast was for in the 20s at night.
Well, in reading the owner's manual, I realized we needed shore power to operate the water tank heaters. So, we pulled up stakes and drove to a for-profit campground north of Santa Fe. Plugged into the power pole there.
And when we woke up in the morning, and 23 degrees, we had no water. Frozen pipes, I figured. Later in the morning, when it warmed up, water began flowing again. No breakage that I am aware of.
Question: How does one dry-camp in the dead of winter?
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:44 PM   #15

Quote:

RVermont: Great catch! They found the leak in one of the seals of the lights you described. Leaks are my biggest worry.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Marker lights are the 5 lights on top of the front cap. I might have misspoke about being on the sprinter, they appear to be added on by jayco. If one was to leak it would allow water to enter the front cap.

This was mentioned in a post for a Seneca and I think the caps would be similar. The cap is attached to the top of the sprinter with a gasket. While that might fail i would think that would be one of the last items to have a failure Most likely causes are gasket failure on the top and or lights, air conditioner, antennas ext. check all those areas.

Good luck and please post your results when you fix it.

Great catch, that is exactly where they found the leak.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #17

Glad you found the issue. I too have a respect for leaks and the damage water can do. Happy travels

Old 11-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #18

Time for new bed-has anyone replaced theirs?

Our 2017 24 K now has 40,000 miles and my back is often sore when sleeping on the bed. Has anyone replaced their bed with good results. I would buy a topper but the low spot in the center of the bed will not go away.
If you have bought a new bed I would appreceiate it if you could tell me what brand and model number.
bm9201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm9201 View Post
Our 2017 24 K now has 40,000 miles and my back is often sore when sleeping on the bed. Has anyone replaced their bed with good results. I would buy a topper but the low spot in the center of the bed will not go away.
If you have bought a new bed I would appreceiate it if you could tell me what brand and model number.
The start of the following thread describes what is most likely your issue and the last page describes how I solved it and there are a few other ideas in between.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ess-49622.html
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #20

Search: Melbourne Hinged Mattress. Someone on the forum had it custom made for about $800. We've owned ours for 3 1/2 years now and are at 44,000 miles. Love our Melbourne. Still don't like the mattress much, and still using our pool noodles. Good luck finding a solution.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote