Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #1

Melbourne 24L 12V plug

Want to install a 12V plug around the bed area of the coach. Has anyone done this, and if so, what wires are for 12V? Having a difficult time identifying. Thanks!
Deertale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:46 PM   #2

In a 24K the 12v and 120v fuse blocks/ breakers are in the base of the bed. Is that the same for a 24L or can you run wires from where your fuse block is? Maybe not ideal for what you want there are small converters that plug into a 120v outlet but I suspect you are wanting this for when you aren't plugged into shore power.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #3

I recently installed a 12 volt outlet in the side of our bed for the Command Center for our RVi3 brake system. I sit the "puck" on the bed so the signal reaches from the toad to the MH cab. Now it is powered while I'm driving and I don't have to worry about it running out of juice. After mounting the outlet, I ran the red wire to a vacant terminal on the 12 volt fuse panel (just a foot away), installed a 5 amp fuse, then ran the other wire to a near-by ground. It took longer for me to decide where to put the outlet than it did to hook it all up. We have a 2018 29MV with the 12 volt and 120 volt panels in the foot of the bed.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

Got it!

Thanks for responses. After a lot of time and checking more wires than they have in a hardware store, we found 12 volt wires to tap into. And yes, this is for the puck to our RVi3 system. Surprised they didn't incorporate a couple 12 v plugs into the living area. Oh well - problem solved.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertale View Post
Thanks for responses. After a lot of time and checking more wires than they have in a hardware store, we found 12 volt wires to tap into. And yes, this is for the puck to our RVi3 system. Surprised they didn't incorporate a couple 12 v plugs into the living area. Oh well - problem solved.
Deertale...Elizabethtown, PA, by any chance? We live north of Harrisburg.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #6

Yes, we live in Elizabethtown, PA. Small world, isn't it?
Old 10-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #7

I live in Hershey/Jacksonville Beach. Small world indeed, as I am looking to add a 12V tap to my Entegra 24L as well, a virtual twin to the Melbourne. Will look at the block. Thanks!
gzvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #8

We are Dauphin/Hilton Head Island. We are getting ready to leave Camp Pedro at SOTB and finish the last 215 miles to Hilton Head today. Not a bad campground for an overnight stay. We use Americamps in Ashland, VA for the first night and Camp Pedro for the second night. We're not in a hurry, so we take our time, stop often, and watch the trucks and cars speed past. It's 225 miles on day 1, 275 on day 2 and 215 on day 3.

I purchased a "marine" type of 12 volt outlet from one of the local auto parts stores. It has a nice black end with a cover and two screw holes for mounting into the side of the bed. It was around $7-$8. There were two or three empty fuse terminals at the bottom of the fuse panel, so I picked one and slid the crimped terminal over the stud. They become 'hot' as soon as you install a fuse, so there was no additional wiring to do. I found a ground that already had a couple of wires attached, so I just added the 12 volt ground to the rest. That was it, works great for my RVi Command Center puck. We have a Greyhawk 29MV so it could be a tad different than yours. Safe travels!