Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Melbourne 24L

We have done a lot of research on class c motorhomes. It seems the 24L is the model that fits us the best at the moment. The one concern we really have is the size of the propane tank. The specifications say the tank will hold 26 pounds of propane. This is quite a bit smaller than some other class c motorhomes. Since we plan on doing quite a bit of dry camping is there an easy way to add another propane tank to this and is there room to add a permanent one or just one that can be stored somewhere else on the coach. Any information from other 24 model Melbournes would be appreciated.
FunontheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #2

The only real use we have for propane is to run the fridge while traveling. 1 tank lasted over a year and 10,000 miles. A guess as to time, avg 60mph plus road side stops is around 200 hours. Throw in maybe 15 pots of water boiling and food warming. Almost forgot heat, maybe 30 hours total for the furnace. Bottom line it lasted a lot longer than I expected.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #3

Wow, that propane lasts a long time. If that is an indication on how long it lasts the amount in the Melbourne propane tank is more than sufficient. Could you tell me what the size of your propane tank is?

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #4

Mine is most likely 9.8 gallons. Below is a chart from the owners manual that may give you some guidelines how long a gallon will last from what you think your usage may be. Looking back mine came with 800 miles on it so maybe 14 hours less usage on the fridge. It may be hard to read but 1 gallon of propane gas produces about 91,500 BTU's (96,528 kilojoules) of heat energy. When I click on the picture it will expand but if you do and it doesn't let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	34234
Old 08-21-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

When you figure the furnace usage it will cycle on and off every hour depending on temps. We sleep with an electric blanket so the furnace didn't run as much overnight so I figure ours ran maybe 1/3 of the 30 or so hours I was figuring. Adding everything up I came up with 7.21 gallons. They don't fill the tanks all the way so I am not sure if the 9.8 gallon tank is the fill rate or not but maybe someone else will know.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

My son and I both have the 24k model. His is a 2017 mine is a 2018. Both have the 10 gallon LP tanks. We were told Jayco is switching to 20 gallon tanks. We both have LP generators. They burn through the LP if you run the generators. I wish we could have gotten diesel gen sets. If you don't run the generator the LP will last quite a long time.
Lathrop Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

We just spent four nights and five days dry camping. Melbourne 24M. Used about half a tank of propane. We showered three times, did not use the heater at night, ran the LP generator often, and checked the LP level a couple of times each day.
No problems. Could have spent perhaps two more days out in the woods.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Thanks for the information, thirdktm. I think for what we may do it seems like the propane would last long enough for our needs with reasonable usage. Since we are in the north I would suspect we may use the heater more than what you did, but at least at night, more blankets would probably solve the problem. I sure hope, Lathrop Bob is right about switching to 20 gallon tanks that would make things much easier.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #9

We are about to check out a new 2018 Melbourne 24L for sale in Massachusetts. Read your posts and am very encouraged. Since it has been about a year, just curious on your perspective now. Are there any "wish I knew this before" tips you can share?
claudial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #10

We still love our 2017 K model. Our propane has been adiquate for our use. Even boondocking sometime for us.

Just for future reference, we were only getting 14 mpg. Found out our tires needed balancing and we get 15 to 16.
Just had the Mercedes dealer repair the electical wires the squirrels ate in one months time for a whopping $700.
LindaInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudial View Post
We are about to check out a new 2018 Melbourne 24L for sale in Massachusetts. Read your posts and am very encouraged. Since it has been about a year, just curious on your perspective now. Are there any "wish I knew this before" tips you can share?
Welcome to the forum. The only issue we have is the bed. There are a couple of threads on that already but it is short and unless they changed the design, it is flawed. If the length works out for you there are work arounds for the design flaw. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

To Claudial:
We continue to love our Melbourne 24M
If it had more outdoor storage space, we would have found stuff to store in it.
As it is, we bought heavy-duty carrier rack that slips into the trailer hitch. It's about 2 feet by 5 feet and holds lot so stuff, held down with rubber straps.
Our worst mpg was 9.8, into a headwind towing our Jeep.
Just last week, we got 15.9, coming down from 8,500 elevation in Colorado to 5,500 in Albuquerque...towing a trailer and motorcycle.
We love the kitchen space, the comfort of the bed, the smoothness of the engine and transmission. We used a half-tank of propane in five days of dry camping. If we are dry-camping at night, we just add blankets. We do not use the furnace.
As for battery life for the coach battery, we are surprised it does not last longer. Charging with the propane generator during the day is necessary.
Because we are a family of two, interior space is all we need. More people? Not enough space.........
Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #13

We are working through the "personalization" of our '17 24M. As for your question about propane, I added an extend-a-stay kit that allows you to run off an additional portable propane cylinder. We found battery capacity lacking, so I fabricated a bracket that mounts to the frame just aft of the propane tank and forward of the power step to hold a second battery. Access is tough, so I used a remote fill kit to keep water full. I also added a spare tire carrier under the coach using most of the Mercedes parts after a lot of research, but had to fabricate the brackets to hold up the back end of the clamshell.

I also did some customization to the bed. Ours has the full platform bed, not the jackknife sofa. We found the fore and aft orientation uncomfortable, so I added a 14" extension on a piano hinge along the edge closest to the TV console, mounted some legs and had a custom mattress section made by mattress insiders so we now have a "King" rv bed that is 74"x75". We sleep side to side, not fore and aft as before. The bed can still be used in the original configuration when we are someplace we don't want to extend the slide.

I am fortunate to be handy, but very disappointed that I have to be because of the lack of quality. So many issues, like the bathroom mirror falling off the cheap two sided tape on the cabinet door, what a mess! The back window leaks, a screw driven too deep cut the veneer on the bathroom door, the coach door took hours to get to open and close even after Camping World "fixed" it, but CW is a whole story in itself. Too many other nagging quality issues, it seems that everything we touch breaks!

I am retired from the Coast Guard, and have a very healthy fear of fire, having experiened a serious one at sea. Last weekend, I was walking into the camper and I said "something's burning". I was in a panic because the smell was strongest under the refrigerator where the converter, transfer switch and the wiring rat's nest is. After some frantic searching, it turns out that the light in the cargo compartment had been left on and melted! Who puts a light in an RV that can't be left on? It's fortunate that the compartment is metal and no flammable material was stored in there.

All in all, I am not sure how long we will keep it, I guess for as long as I can keep fixing things!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #14

That reminds me - I need to see what bulbs those are and switch them out with LED's are something that wont get that hot. I have nearly made the mistake of leaving those lights on and now that is see what could happen...

As for the Melbourne, (mainly due to all the upgrades I have had to make) I would say I am about 75% satisfied with the Jayco part and 95% satisfied with the MB part so giving it an 85% approval rating

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #15

Melbourne 24L

Hi, Thank you for this information. Just curious, how many miles and for how many days did your use your motorhome this year if you don't mind my asking? Do you tow anything with that mileage?
claudial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #16

I just had my dealer add an "extended stay propane kit" between the onboard propane tank and regulator so i can carry a couple of 20# tanks and add if needed on a 10 day hunting trip in mountains in Oct. Kit was like $85 and install $150 or so. I thought I could just hook a tank to the bbq output line but it would be unregulated for pressure.
Rueckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #17

Claudial:
Put about 8,000 miles on it in our first year.
MPG ranged from 9.8 to just over 16. Wind and hills and towing make the difference. I drive 60-65..................
Old 09-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #18

We dry camp a lot, but for no longer than about 4 days. We've never run out of propane. We camp in cold climates and only run the heat at night. Our generator runs on propane, but we really only use it when we use the convection oven. As far as the battery, it is always adequate, but we do have solar. We tow a Jeep and get between 13 - 15 mpg pretty consistently, in all types of conditions and terrains. We've owned ours for close to 2 1/2 years, and it now has 30,000 miles on it. We spend about 3-4 months a year out (although not all at the same time). We love this motorhome and will keep it forever. We've made a few expensive mods, such as auto levelers ($4500 and worth every penny), aluminum wheels and slide toppers, which we didn't add until we were sure it was a keeper. Pfflyer clued us into the Hellwig Sway Bar and Sumo Springs back in 2016 when we purchased this, which added an amazing amount of stability. It's still a spook to drive in heavy winds, as are all Class C motorhomes (although we've never driven her without a tow, so that may be part of it). It has more storage than we know what to do with, even when we're out for two months at a time. The bed...an on-going issue. Biggest design flaw - no heat outlet in the bathroom; and if that's the only issue, we can live with it. It does have an AC outlet so that we don't suffocate when we're taking a shower in hot climates.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #19

Do you know who makes the kit for it, I would like to do the same. tkmog@comcast.net. Thanks in advance!
72buickgsconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
The only real use we have for propane is to run the fridge while traveling. 1 tank lasted over a year and 10,000 miles. A guess as to time, avg 60mph plus road side stops is around 200 hours. Throw in maybe 15 pots of water boiling and food warming. Almost forgot heat, maybe 30 hours total for the furnace. Bottom line it lasted a lot longer than I expected.
x2 I haven't filled my permanent propane tank (13.2gal / 56lbs) in two full seasons of use.

Tags
propane capacity