Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #1

Melbourne 28F

I bought a new JAYCO MELBOURNE 28F in late 2011.
Right after I purchased the Motorhome I found that when I took it out every now and then it sounded like someone was taking a 20 pound sledgehammer and hitting the frame by the back axle. Turned out the HELWIG overloads were catching on the body and letting go and making a heck of a noise. Rather than check the problem, JAYCO told the dealer to shorten the spring length. A few months later I noticed a bump in the floor just above the axle on the passenger side. The issue was so pronounced that the cabinet at the floor cracked. I called JAYCO left a message and got no response. Later I took pictures and sent them in with no response. I kept sending in inquiries with no response. When I did get a response, JAYCO advised me to take it to the local JAYCO rep for evaluation. In Nov 2018 I finally got it in to them and they said the frame is bending. The rep called JAYCO with no response over several months. Finally JAYCO said they were looking for a repair procedure as they didn’t do this kind of repair in house.

I finally reached JAYCO today and the rep told me the repair was not covered by warranty. How can this be.

I would appreciate any data that anyone has on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
F374645F-3C5B-4129-9C7F-F555069E3339.jpg   C9CD1A5A-899F-4FFF-A0B6-DBFE90624B4D.jpg  
billayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #2

Not trying to be facetious but I read that you got the unit in 2011. If that is accurate, no RV manufacturer I know of has a factory warranty program that covers a unit 8 years out. I understand that you are frustrated and it shouldn't be happening, but to expect Jayco to deal with the issue at this time (for free) is likely unrealistic.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #3

2011 Melbourne

Yes you are right. However, less than a year after I purchased the unit, the problem was found and reported. The problem initially manifested itself as a problem with the HELWIG springs impacting/catching on the rear of the coach support and when they let go, it was one heck of a noise. The JAYCO fix was to shorten the end of the spring by 1/4" although HELWIG said to reposition the spring. If someone would have looked then they may have seen the problem. I have been sending emails since 2012 about this problem without a satisfactory solution. The 2016 reply, when they told me to get it to a dealer, was their first reply that addressed the issue.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

I fear legal action might be your only recourse at this stage, hopefully you have kept a thorough paper trail to document your attempts to notify them of your issue. In an ideal world just the threat of a lawsuit might be enough to spur some action, but I somewhat doubt it. You might have to carry through with the suit which obviously will cost $$$s, and there is no guarantee you will prevail.

Have you had your unit looked at by a competent facility who can give you an estimate on what it might take to repair it? That might be needed to begin the lawsuit, otherwise you don't have any idea of the cost necessary to get your unit safe and serviceable again.

Good luck, I hope you can get camping again soon!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

2011 Melbourne 28

The issue with the melbourne continues. I found another person with the same problem and we are taking the issue to the nhtsa,the national highway traffic safety administration. Jayco modified the frame of the e450 when the made the coach making them responsible for the frame of the vehicle and the frame appears to be bending just aft of the differential. I have weighed the vehicle fully loaded and i am not overloading the coach. Nhtsa is concerned that it may become a safety issue that could result in catastrouphic failure. If any of you jayco owners have the same problem, please let me know. If we all file with the nhtsa, jayco may respond.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billayers View Post
The issue with the melbourne continues. I found another person with the same problem and we are taking the issue to the nhtsa,the national highway traffic safety administration. Jayco modified the frame of the e450 when the made the coach making them responsible for the frame of the vehicle and the frame appears to be bending just aft of the differential. I have weighed the vehicle fully loaded and i am not overloading the coach. Nhtsa is concerned that it may become a safety issue that could result in catastrouphic failure. If any of you jayco owners have the same problem, please let me know. If we all file with the nhtsa, jayco may respond.
Hello Bill Ayers. I see this thread ended in 2019 but I wonder if there is any more to the story regarding the 28f frame? I'm shopping for used and like the 2014 28f. Any advice would be appreciated
04Roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame repair, melbourne 28f