Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-30-2020, 05:11 PM   #1

Melbourne, fuel water service...

I drained water out of the fuel filter -- and it was so easy I wonder if I missed a step. It's a 2017 Jayco Melbourne 24M with the MB six-cylinder diesel.
A few days ago, another Melbourne owner posted that draining water from this filter is an essential service chore. A YouTube video shows how.
Raise the hood. Near the left front of the engine is a flexible rubber tube, 1/4 diameter, or so. It is clipped to a larger hose. Unclip the smaller hose. Aim it to a bucket under the engine. Turn on the engine for 10 seconds, the YouTube video says. I did, maybe a few seconds too long.
We turned off the engine, which stops the flow of liquid through the hose.
In bucket was what appears to be water, perhaps 5 ounces. It had no odor. On the driveway, diesel fuel, which has an odor.
Easy. It took all of a minute or two.
Have I missed another step? Have I completed this service?
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #2

You could do it again to make sure it is all out. Did you get a message on the dash “water in fuel”? I am not sure it is an essential service chore though. I have over 200,000 miles in Sprinters and I only have done it when I got the message. I will need to check the manual.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

Pfflyer............No, did not get a message on the dash....But in looking through the service booklet, it says to do this every year. And the RV is just over 3, with about 28k miles.
I hope to see more replies here from other Melbourne owners who might have done this service.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #4

The filter in my Sprinter gets at least 1 new filter a year. I will do that on the RV this weekend. Thanks for the info. I got bad fuel in the van this year and I was getting the message and purging the system every few miles. I did this procedure maybe 20 times this summer before I could get home and do a tank drain with a filter change. The filter only had about 2k miles on it.
Glass half full, I did get about 20 gallons of fire starter.
Old 10-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

Pfflyer: I did not change a filter.
I only turned a nut that allowed what I believed to be a fuel-water mix to drain out. And my concern is that I have not done enough to service whatever it is that's supposed to be done, according to the service booklet.
If I were to pay a mechanic $100+ per hour, what would be done to address this?
Old 10-31-2020, 10:47 AM   #6

I change my fuel filter every 20k miles or every other oil change. I cant remember what MB says now but I think they upped it to 40K miles (oil changed was upped from 10k to 20k). It wouldn't hurt to do the drain procedure again till you get what looks like clean fuel. I need to look to see if there is a time recommendation for change as well but if you fall within what is recommended for filter change, what you have done is in my opinion enough. If you were to take it into a honest dealer and you are within time and mileage recommendations and no other service was to be done they would send you on your way especially if you didn't get the message(don't forget to grab a "free" snack and drink on the way out). When I got the WIF message I called the service adviser and he said to do what you did and if the message kept coming back do what I eventually did, drain and change the filter. Now that you know the procedure if you ever do get the message on the road you wont have to fumble with directions and you can feel confident you can do it even in the dark. I did a practice run about a year after I got the van after reading about it on the Sprinter forum.