Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #21

We have a new Melbourne 24L which I believe means you have 2 slides and we have one long slide. When I weighed ours fully fueled , the water full and all our supplies except clothes and food our weight was 10,500 pounds and the maximum weight is 13,800 pounds. So adding 400 pounds for us we still have over 1800 pounds to spare. We did some trips with everything loaded and the Melbourne handled great.
What does the Melbourne 24M weigh empty?
Jeff Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #22

That’s the way ours is set up also. We have a 24L Melbourne.
Jeff Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #23

I have a Jayco Melbourne Prestige 24LP. Others have addressed the weight, so I want to take this opportunity out to suggest that you bring a certified RV inspector with you to go over the RV before you buy it. You might save yourself a ton of headaches. Particularly, check out the Schwintec slide mechanism. The 24 LP has a very big slide, and that is a lot of weight for the Schwintec (by Lippert) slide mechanism. Mine failed and left me stuck twice. These systems are not an easy fix. I finally drove my RV (with the slide held in by wooden blocks) back to the factory in Indiana to be fixed. The next time I took the RV out, I got stuck because the passenger side stabilizer jack malfunctioned and I spent a day waiting for someone to show up to help me get back on the road. Oh yes, that was after the heating system needed to be repaired because it was wired incorrectly. The slide issue left me stranded a second time after it was repaired. The moral of the story: paying an RV inspector to go over it BEF you buy it is well worth the money and the peace of mind. Good luck!
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:35 AM   #24

Weight

Haven’t done the math but traveling with a 24LP towing a 5x8 cargo trailer with 2000 lb of merchandise and no problem at all.
burgtvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:19 PM   #25

Check out the Melbourne Prestige Facebook group
burgtvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #26

2018 Melbourne 24K

I took delivery of my rig about a year ago. I spent several weeks trying to teach myself the systems (I had had a trailer before that) in a search for self-sufficiency.

My first piece of advice, especially if you haven't owned anything before, is pace yourself. Maybe start with a few short trips just to figure where stuff is located, where you want to locate your stuff. For example, I put stackable, interlocking, wire shelves in the wardrobe since all of our clothes were casual, and the shelves gave much more storage than a row of hangers.

I also put a back-of-door shoe organizer on the back of the bathroom door creating two dozen storage pockets that were not there before. Finally, I had a Container Store organizer come out and suggest ways to add structure to the open space over the kitchen, table, and bed (in the cabinets).

Use this site. Since you found it early, it will save you hours and hours of trial and error.
phillydrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
We have a new Melbourne 24L which I believe means you have 2 slides and we have one long slide. When I weighed ours fully fueled , the water full and all our supplies except clothes and food our weight was 10,500 pounds and the maximum weight is 13,800 pounds. So adding 400 pounds for us we still have over 1800 pounds to spare. We did some trips with everything loaded and the Melbourne handled great.
What does the Melbourne 24M weigh empty?
Not sure where you are getting the 13,800lb figure. The GVWR for the Melbourne (or any MB Sprinter Chassis RV) is 11,030lb. You can check the rated OCCC (Cargo Capacity) on the yellow sticker most usually posted on the driver side door post. The OCCC is the GVWR - ULW (Unladen Weight).

Cheers, ~Dwight
loopylyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #28

Hi Metsfan . Did you buy from W.E.S in Ridge? I’m looking and from Miller Place and he’s the only local dealer .
Thanks Andy
arode2981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
On the flip side, take a look at the shorter Redhawks. You might miss some bling and you're tied to the Ford chassis (not sure if you've got your heart set on the Mercedes/diesel or not), but you can get a short Redhawk w/ upwards of 3000+ cargo capacity.
On jayco website, it does not show CCC and external length/height for each floorplan. Do not know why?
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
On jayco website, it does not show CCC and external length/height for each floorplan. Do not know why?
Because it all depends on any added options which add weight, so they cannot put a set number on the website.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Because it all depends on any added options which add weight, so they cannot put a set number on the website.
At least give me some ideas for standard, it is about 1000, 2000, or 3000 lbs, which would be very helpful. CCC is as important as floorplan.
brightsky is offline   Reply With Quote