Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Melbourne Real World Mileage

We just completed our first significant road trip in our '17 24M. Traveled from central NH via VT, NY, PA down I-81 then crossed to I-95 in VA, to our home in Bradenton, FL for one night, then continued on to Key West for a month at the military campground at Trumbo. Other than sometimes noisy neighbors that play havoc with our awning, this is a great place at a fantastic price to be on-island!

Our total mileage was 2,101 miles start to stop, split between hilly to mountain terrain to dead flat Florida. The coach was weighed at a CAT scale and was loaded to 10,994 Lbs., towing a 5x8' aluminum open trailer carrying our scooter and other gear at 1,140 Lbs. for a CGVW of 12,134 Lbs. Average speed on cruise control of 64 MPH, passing when necessary. I was happy with the performance overall, towed the trailer effortlessly. One scare when we were approaching a fuel stop...the fuel indicator still showed two small bars, and we had 15 miles to go when the bars disappeared and the low fuel light came on! Well, we now know we have at least 10 miles to go if it ever happens again!

The rig burned 161.35 gallons, returning an average fuel mileage of 13.021MPG fully loaded, which is pretty good considering everything.

Small quality issues persist, with the latest being the complete failure of the tank/battery level indicators. We are dry camping for a month, so we were using it regularly.

I installed a second coach battery that I mounted in a custom tray that is just aft of the propane tank and forward of the step. We use a 140W briefcase solar panel to keep them charged. I also installed a Micro Air easy start on the AC, as we run it for an hour or so to cool off the coach before bed, when we open up the windows to the breeze. The easy start starts and runs the AC on one Yamaha 2000 inverter generator with no problem. Oddly, the only thing that drives the generator crazy on Eco mode is our Keurig, it can't seem to sort out the draw so I have to run it off Eco mode to make coffee.

We have learned that for this type of camping the 24M needs more window. The back kitchen area gets very warm and stuffy even with the fan running as there is no natural ventilation from the breeze. The Keys sun really gets is hot back there!
Does anyone know if there is a reason to not have an opening window in the back? I may look into making that change.

We also converted the fold down Murphy bed to king size with a hinged extension and a custom mattress section. We can use the queen size bed sleeping fore and aft with the slide in while traveling, and the king size sleeping side to side when set up on a site. All in all, for a small coach it's pretty comfortable!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorchief View Post
We just completed our first significant road trip in our '17 24M. Traveled from central NH via VT, NY, PA down I-81 then crossed to I-95 in VA, to our home in Bradenton, FL for one night, then continued on to Key West for a month at the military campground at Trumbo. Other than sometimes noisy neighbors that play havoc with our awning, this is a great place at a fantastic price to be on-island!

Our total mileage was 2,101 miles start to stop, split between hilly to mountain terrain to dead flat Florida. The coach was weighed at a CAT scale and was loaded to 10,994 Lbs., towing a 5x8' aluminum open trailer carrying our scooter and other gear at 1,140 Lbs. for a CGVW of 12,134 Lbs. Average speed on cruise control of 64 MPH, passing when necessary. I was happy with the performance overall, towed the trailer effortlessly. One scare when we were approaching a fuel stop...the fuel indicator still showed two small bars, and we had 15 miles to go when the bars disappeared and the low fuel light came on! Well, we now know we have at least 10 miles to go if it ever happens again!

The rig burned 161.35 gallons, returning an average fuel mileage of 13.021MPG fully loaded, which is pretty good considering everything.

Small quality issues persist, with the latest being the complete failure of the tank/battery level indicators. We are dry camping for a month, so we were using it regularly.

I installed a second coach battery that I mounted in a custom tray that is just aft of the propane tank and forward of the step. We use a 140W briefcase solar panel to keep them charged. I also installed a Micro Air easy start on the AC, as we run it for an hour or so to cool off the coach before bed, when we open up the windows to the breeze. The easy start starts and runs the AC on one Yamaha 2000 inverter generator with no problem. Oddly, the only thing that drives the generator crazy on Eco mode is our Keurig, it can't seem to sort out the draw so I have to run it off Eco mode to make coffee.

We have learned that for this type of camping the 24M needs more window. The back kitchen area gets very warm and stuffy even with the fan running as there is no natural ventilation from the breeze. The Keys sun really gets is hot back there!
Does anyone know if there is a reason to not have an opening window in the back? I may look into making that change.

We also converted the fold down Murphy bed to king size with a hinged extension and a custom mattress section. We can use the queen size bed sleeping fore and aft with the slide in while traveling, and the king size sleeping side to side when set up on a site. All in all, for a small coach it's pretty comfortable!
Do you have any pictures of that murphy bed conversion? I'm interested in seeing how that is setup.

Thank you!
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

Does it get old watching the noisy neighbors? Thank you for your service.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #4

We too have a 2017 Melbourne 24M........and we love it.
Our mpg has ranged from about 9.8 to 16.2. 10,000 miles in 14 months.
We live in New Mexico and often find ourselves in Colorado. Both states are mountainous.
We pull a two-door Jeep Wrangler sometimes and other times an enclosed motorcycle trailer with two Harleys.
Towing robs 1.5 to 2 mpg.
We are fine with the queen Murphy bed, which is much better than the over-the-cab bed in our former RV, a 2002 Tioga.
What we like the most about the Melbourne: smooth and quiet and decently powerful engine; silky smooth transmission; a kitchen with lots of counter space, cabinets, and cubby holes; great space for linens and pillows over the cab; comfy bed.
Wish it had more exterior storage, but we manage just fine.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #5

I will post some pics of my Murphy bed mod as soon as I can. Pfflyer, I don't tire at all watching those younger than I men and women doing the great work of protecting or training to protect our nation. I served 32 years with the only regret being time missed with my kids. My favorite seat is in front of our coach watching the helo ops with the fighters from Boca Chica roaring in the background. Peace and quiet is sometimes found in odd places!
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorchief View Post
I will post some pics of my Murphy bed mod as soon as I can. Pfflyer, I don't tire at all watching those younger than I men and women doing the great work of protecting or training to protect our nation. I served 32 years with the only regret being time missed with my kids. My favorite seat is in front of our coach watching the helo ops with the fighters from Boca Chica roaring in the background. Peace and quiet is sometimes found in odd places!
I don’t think I would get tired of it either.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote