Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

Melbourne right side tank dump

I've been looking at Sprinter based class Cs and the Melbourne 24L moved to the top of my list after seeing both it and a Thor Gemini in person. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the dump on the passenger side. I've never had a camper with this and wonder if it will grow to be a pain during trips. I can see the scenario now where there is a line to dump and I have to back all the way down. Am I overthinking it and is there an easier way? When you've done something the same way for so long sometimes it's hard to picture it another way.
Druder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

If you don't like it on the passenger side, then move it to the driver's side. It's only tubing.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
If you don't like it on the passenger side, then move it to the driver's side. It's only tubing.
I guess I figured if it were that easy they'd have done it themselves. I guess I would need to inspect it and see if that's possible.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

While checking the feasibility of rerouting the right side dump to the standard left side is a good idea, my suspicion is that moving it would be quite difficult, if not impossible. There may well be frame members or other obstructions in the way.

And I agree that having a dump on the wrong side is a significant problem.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

Melbourne Dump

We have the Melbourne 24K and all utilities are on the same side - driver's side and very convenient. Give this unit a look.
Out4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out4Fun View Post
We have the Melbourne 24K and all utilities are on the same side - driver's side and very convenient. Give this unit a look.
Same here. All mine are on the drivers side as well. What model did you see with them on the passenger side? Could it be one of the Australia models? The Australia models have the stylish cab over like the new premium USA Prestige Melbourne's.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Same here. All mine are on the drivers side as well. What model did you see with them on the passenger side? Could it be one of the Australia models? The Australia models have the stylish cab over like the new premium USA Prestige Melbourne's.
It was a 24L, I checked out the interior at an RV show and then researched them when I got home because I absolutely loved the layout. It is actually hard to find info on the under storage but I found one Youtube video that did a tour and I'm fairly certain it was a US model. I really like the full side slide for multiple reasons, I'll be pulling a trailer and the rear slide would most likely mean I'd have to detach every stop which doesn't sound terrible until you do it dozens of times a year.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druder View Post
It was a 24L, I checked out the interior at an RV show and then researched them when I got home because I absolutely loved the layout. It is actually hard to find info on the under storage but I found one Youtube video that did a tour and I'm fairly certain it was a US model. I really like the full side slide for multiple reasons, I'll be pulling a trailer and the rear slide would most likely mean I'd have to detach every stop which doesn't sound terrible until you do it dozens of times a year.
The rear slide is pretty high and maybe extends 2’ at the most. Depending on what you are pulling it shouldn’t be an issue. I understand going with the layout that works for you though.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
The rear slide is pretty high and maybe extends 2’ at the most. Depending on what you are pulling it shouldn’t be an issue. I understand going with the layout that works for you though.
It seems that every layout I like has one glaring issue, but that seems to be campers in general. I originally liked the rear slide out Thor Gemini with a sofa and no cabover bunk until I saw how much more open the full slide was. I felt kind of cramped walking to the bed with the rear slide, maybe that goes away but that was my first impression.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #10

Most favorite on our Melbourne: Good engine power, super smooth transmission.
Least favorite: Not enough outside storage space.
That said, we love it. Our is the 24M model, with the Murphy bed. We believe that small RVs dedicate too much space to a fixed-in-place bed, and the Murphy bed solves that.
We have put about 4,000 miles on it in seven months. We get 12-15 mpg, and we don't exceed 65. Wish I knew how others are getting 17.........
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Most favorite on our Melbourne: Good engine power, super smooth transmission.
Least favorite: Not enough outside storage space.
That said, we love it. Our is the 24M model, with the Murphy bed. We believe that small RVs dedicate too much space to a fixed-in-place bed, and the Murphy bed solves that.
We have put about 4,000 miles on it in seven months. We get 12-15 mpg, and we don't exceed 65. Wish I knew how others are getting 17.........
Outside storage is pretty minimal, my only major bring along would be a road bike but other than that I'd just need camper necessities. I've lived out of a suitcase for work so this would be a major upgrade.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #12

We have the 24L and I also was a little concerned about the right side dump. If it gets to be a problem you can always upgrade to an electric valve and mount the switch on the left side. We looked at a lot of MB motorhomes and liked the 24L because of the layout, build and warranty. The reality is how much time do you spend dumping your tanks compared to living in the RV. Don't rush at the dump, it makes a mess. I don't think its that bad of an issue personally. We downsized from a 31' Fourwinds and my issue is carrying weight is minimal on any MB but its just a lifestyle change. And I can loose a pound or two myself. No unit is perfect in every way.
edsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #13

The black-grey water outlet is on the drivers side, just a few steps to other side to pull handle. Both at rear of the vehicle. No problem for us. The tanks are under the shower and black the toilet. Fresh water is under the bed.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote