Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Melbourne with MB Chassis Mods

Everyone is welcome to post their mods here like Panamac with his "Dream Dinette" replacement with recliners mod. I will start off with my latest mod.

I keep the sewer hose and fittings in a 5 gallon bucket in the storage bin on the passenger side. The rear bumper doesn't hold my Rhino-Flex hose so I was thinking of adding a pipe so that I could access it from same side as the dump valves and free up some room in the storage bin. My last dump I was thinking of where and how to mount the pipe while the tanks were empting and I noticed there is plenty of room above the valves for a shelf.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2871.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	33377

I cut a piece of 1/8 thick PVC sheeting that was left over from the van conversion and made a shelf. There is a notch in a support bracket at the rear of the compartment that holds up the rear and right now friction holds up the front (pvc was cut a little long and it bends a little in the front). Other materials would work as long as it flexes enough to come up through the bottom and bend around the valves to get it in place.

Name:	IMG_2870.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	33378

I plan on adding some support in the front and maybe in the back to make sure it wont slip down. There is still plenty of room to get to the dump valves through the door.

Name:	IMG_2872.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	33376
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:44 PM   #2

Finished the cup holder Mod.

Name:	IMG_2877.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	33565
Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Finished the cup holder Mod.
Attachment 33565
Pfflyer, very nice. A cup holder that actually can hold cups rather than what comes with the Sprinter. The cup holder you replaced could not hold any cup without tipping over and the ones in the dash are not at all deep and can barely hold a paper coffee cup from a truck stop. Wish I had the skills to craft something like that.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

When some, including me, complained on the Sprinter-forum about no usable cup holders we were called silly Americans and their oversized cups. It is really the only thing I didnt like about either of my Sprinters.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Pfflyer, very nice. A cup holder that actually can hold cups rather than what comes with the Sprinter. The cup holder you replaced could not hold any cup without tipping over and the ones in the dash are not at all deep and can barely hold a paper coffee cup from a truck stop. Wish I had the skills to craft something like that.
Thanks. A lot more time than any skill.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #6

Following are a couple of additions/changes I've mentioned elsewhere.

1) Added some wire shelving/placed plastic trays and sorted such things as:
* Electrical adapters, testers, meter, etc
* Plumbing/Water Nozzles, Reducers, Washers, etc.
* Propane Fittings, Hoses, etc.
*Bungees, zap straps, etc
* Jumper Cables
* Tools
This leaves room for Cleaning/Waxing/WashBucket, etc.

2) Installed a CarryPipe behind rear wheels.
This accepts 20+ feet of Sewer Hose c/w connector, and two lengths of 4" plastic pipe, split longitudinally. The latter is used to support sewer pipe running from Coach to the Campground's Sewer Outlet/Connector.

Click on Pics to enlarge.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1389.jpg   IMG_1391.jpg   IMG_1392.jpg   IMG_1393.jpg  

Rudy & Claire Peters
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #7

Here is an easier cup holder mod than mine.

Name:	easy cup holder 1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	34288

Name:	easy cupholder 2.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	34289

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=58906
Old 08-29-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Sometimes I need to sleep in...

Not sure this would be an official "mod" but I added some black out curtains to the bedroom (behind the blinds). I mounted them to the same wood the blinds are screwed into. I worried about the extra weight about 1-3# per shade but the valance's appeared to be more stable than I thought after removing and checking them out. Please don't judge but sometimes I just want to sleep a little later than sunrise and anyone who owns a Melbourne fully understands the curtains and dark tint are no match for the sun

Name:	1aa.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	34407

Name:	2aa.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	34408

Name:	3aa.jpg
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	34409

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Not sure this would be an official "mod" but I added some black out curtains to the bedroom (behind the blinds). I mounted them to the same wood the blinds are screwed into. I worried about the extra weight about 1-3# per shade but the valance's appeared to be more stable than I thought after removing and checking them out. Please don't judge but sometimes I just want to sleep a little later than sunrise and anyone who owns a Melbourne fully understands the curtains and dark tint are no match for the sun

Attachment 34407

Attachment 34408

Attachment 34409
No judging here. We like sleeping late too. We are on vacation after all. Funny we both are night owls normally even though I get up earlier when I am working but when we are camping we are usually in bed by 11 verses 12-1am normally. We cut Reflectix insulation (silver bubble wrap looking stuff) and slide it behind the strings of the shades in all the windows. Really helps with heat in the summer. We leave them in all the time in the bedroom and all the other windows while it is in storage even though we have it covered. The strings help close the gap that lets light in and I think we notched them around the strings to help keep them in place.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #10

Yes, I am hoping it may help ever so slightly with the hot box of a bedroom though your insulation would be way better for the heat. Also added a rear mount for my 19" TV. The paneling was surprisingly strong, maybe I hit some studs but is very sturdy. The TPMS system may have been a waste of cash but it was the daily deal and Best Buy marked down to $69.00 so worth a try. I have a 66% chance of spotting a leak but since there appears to be no easy way to get to the internal tire stems (what I really need to monitor), I will just use on the four.

Name:	back-tv.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	34410

Name:	TPMS.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	34411

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes, I am hoping it may help ever so slightly with the hot box of a bedroom though your insulation would be way better for the heat. Also added a rear mount for my 19" TV. The paneling was surprisingly strong, maybe I hit some studs but is very sturdy. The TPMS system may have been a waste of cash but it was the daily deal and Best Buy marked down to $69.00 so worth a try. I have a 66% chance of spotting a leak but since there appears to be no easy way to get to the internal tire stems (what I really need to monitor), I will just use on the four.

Attachment 34410

Attachment 34411
I mounted a TV in the bedroom as well. I think they put some extra wood in between the two panels for a tv mount but I am not sure.
Did you change out the rubber valve stems on your wheels. There are lots of stories on the Sprinter forum about the cap style TPMS causing the rubber stems to leak over time. My Tire Minder system also states not to use with rubber stems. I bought some longer steel or brass stems made just for the Sprinter wheels. I bought them from Tire Man in California I think and were pretty expensive but I can use my TPMS on all the tires and checking and filling the air pressure is easy now. I will take some pictures and post here tomorrow. I guess I have made more mods than what I thought.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 PM   #12

Thanks for the heads up. Due to Harvey, the 24K is in my driveway and I ran outside to take a peek. I knew the rear had metal stems but looks like the front are also metal. I spotted the internal rear stems. They are also metal but w/o removing the outer tire there would be no way to add the sensor.
While I have you, any idea on raising up the headlight beam? From all other posts I read, seems it has to be done by the factory. Just curios if you knew if there was a manual adjustment.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-30-2017, 05:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. Due to Harvey, the 24K is in my driveway and I ran outside to take a peek. I knew the rear had metal stems but looks like the front are also metal. I spotted the internal rear stems. They are also metal but w/o removing the outer tire there would be no way to add the sensor.
While I have you, any idea on raising up the headlight beam? From all other posts I read, seems it has to be done by the factory. Just curios if you knew if there was a manual adjustment.
My 02 Sprinter had a thumb wheel that you could adjust the headlights based on the load. I don't know about my 2013 or 2015 chassis. I have read that they automatically adjust but read another place that they do not. Looking at them just now I didn't see any obvious way to adjust them.

Here is a couple of links for valve stems that make it easy to check and fill and are safe for TPMS. Chuck at Tire-Man is very helpful and seems to know what he is talking about.
Tire-Man: Products

This is another system that is popular with Sprinter owners
Duallyvalve Kits for Class B or C - Sprinter Trucks

This is what the rears look like installed.
Attachment 34426

I stumbled upon your pictures/mods link in your signature and I don't remember seeing them in any other threads. They need to be more visible so others can see them and this would be a good thread to do it. I have been meaning to do the thermostat mod. I just bought 2ea indoor/ outdoor thermometers similar to yours. The inside display can monitor up to 4 sensors and measure temp and humidity both inside and out. I have one display in the house to measure temps/humidity inside the house, outside and inside the RV. The other display will monitor the RV sensor when we travel. I haven't until now figured out where to place the sensor while camping. This is the link for what I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for some good ideas and hope you are staying above the water in Texas.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 PM   #14

Pretty crazy time in Houston (Cypress) but we were fortunate enough to avoid the majority of the water. Thanks for the links. Looks like the extended chrome valve stems will be next, and I thought the boat was a money pit..... Hopefully the spare tire holder one of the other members is purchasing will work out. Just hate travelling w/o a spare, even though changing it would likely be a booger bear. Some of the isolated locations I visit would be hit or miss for any road side service and cell service can be spotty.

Now I get to fix the door handle. The top screws ripped out while I was using it to reach up and close the outer stove vent. It always seemed a little loose and it almost looks like it was already ripped off before and then glued back. I don't know, my problem now. time to break out the touch up paint.

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	34437

Decided to start an album for most of the mods I have done with some ideas borrowed from other posters. It was mainly just to keep track of everything but I am happy to share what I can. Latest is trying to keep the mattress from sliding so I improvised a system. The PVC slides out when bringing in the slide. Not my best work but it's a work in progress.

Name:	slide.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	34438

Name:	slide2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	34439

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 AM   #15

Nice mod. Are your stripes decals or painted on. If they are decals you may be able to get them from Jayco. I had mine replaced over the fridge cover because it would come loose when I washed it and it was cracking already. I think the dealer got the whole passenger side decal. I am not sure why the picture above isn't working but it was right after posted it. I would think I would have more time to edit the post but I cant so I will try again.

Name:	wheel.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	34441
Old 08-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #16

Thanks. Yeah, it's a paint job but we were given 5-6 large touch up bottles with all of the different colors. I will give Jayco a "thank you" for that.

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 11-09-2021, 08:00 PM   #17

Uncomfortable dinette out recliners in. Console with cup holders made with parts of the dinette and scrap corian.
Anyone need the old dinette table and hardware let me know.

Name:	14CF7D94-A206-4C32-AF1A-9B84C4CF23D3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	76959
Old 06-24-2023, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Uncomfortable dinette out recliners in. Console with cup holders made with parts of the dinette and scrap corian.
Anyone need the old dinette table and hardware let me know.

Attachment 76959
I've been comtemplating this mod since I bought our '16 24K but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Was almost sold chairs from RecPro until I bought some of their cushions to replace the dinette seats and they started falling apart after a year.

I'm not sure where the electrical outlet would go that is currently below the "back" dinette seat...what did you do with it?

Thanks in advance.
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:06 PM   #19

My dinette outlet was wired with extension cord type wire verses romex wire from the factory. I put the outlet in a surface mount metal box with the existing wire and it sits behind the recliners. Our recliners are powered so both plug into it. Even though nobody sees the box the surface mount boxes looks better.
Old 06-25-2023, 12:31 PM   #20

Quote:
My dinette outlet was wired with extension cord type wire verses romex wire from the factory.
That's probably code.
Somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
messy-electrical-cables-and-wires-on-electric-pole-FANW51.jpg