Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 18
Mice entry on E450 cab?

I'm pretty accustomed to finding the ways mice get into the house of RVs and have taken preventative measures in that regard, but have already captured two mice on glue traps in the cab area in the last week. What should I be looking for from the engine / dog house / cab area of an E450 to stop the invasion?

2019 Greyhawk MVP
__________________

Ripwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Kingman
Posts: 475
I think you should be looking elsewhere, other than the cab. The cab is very secure when it comes to rodents entering through it. Iíd bet money they are coming from the camper, instead. No matter where you place your traps, you will catch anything running around inside the MH. They donít stay in one place. Just sayiní.
__________________

gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tom463219's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Portage
Posts: 292
I had mice entering the RV also. They were in the bathroom, bedroom and near the dinette area. I caught 2 of them with mousetraps, and after an extensive search I found their path in.

The attached photo is the area under the bed. Where the arrow points to the green circle is where electrical wires come inside. There was a about a 1/2 hole where I could see daylight. I patched the hole with steel wool and foam. The mice had even built a nest in there with toilet paper stored under the bathroom sink. After doing this 2 years ago, I have never had anymore problems with them

I didn't notice any evidence of them in the cab area. Who knows, they probably checked that out as well.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Mouse Entrance.jpg  
__________________
Tom
2016 Greyhawk 31DS
2016 Chevy Equinox LX
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 7,920
Check the fire-wall very closely especially on the driver's side. Our 2001 had a hole that was about 1" where some of the wires came through and it did not have any kind plug to fill in the opening.

They are attracted to the wiring since much of the plastic coating contains soy.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
NC Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fuquay-Varina
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They are attracted to the wiring since much of the plastic coating contains soy.
And if they chew up the main Ford chassis wiring harness under the hood, itíll run several hundred dollars to replace it. I know.
__________________

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
RetiredOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Ocean County
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripwild View Post
What should I be looking for from the engine / dog house / cab area of an E450 to stop the invasion?



Sorry, I couldn't resist....
__________________
----------------

2019 Redhawk 24B

RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,437
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
At present a squirrel is sleeping in a nice bed made out the top of the insulated battery cover. I was talking to him/her the whole summer and thought probably it is OK.
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bullitt6283's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New Freedom, PA
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I had mice entering the RV also. They were in the bathroom, bedroom and near the dinette area. I caught 2 of them with mousetraps, and after an extensive search I found their path in.

The attached photo is the area under the bed. Where the arrow points to the green circle is where electrical wires come inside. There was a about a 1/2 hole where I could see daylight. I patched the hole with steel wool and foam. The mice had even built a nest in there with toilet paper stored under the bathroom sink. After doing this 2 years ago, I have never had anymore problems with them

I didn't notice any evidence of them in the cab area. Who knows, they probably checked that out as well.

Good luck.

I had mice come in at exactly the same place as you did, through an incompletely sealed hole, and build a nest exactly as you described.
There is a wiring/plumbing raceway running from under the bed through the wall and behind the toilet and to the bathroom vanity where we had extra rolls of TP stored.
.
__________________

__________________
Ron
Retired
2016 Greyhawk 29MV
2000 Jeep Sahara
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×