Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #1

Mice entry on E450 cab?

I'm pretty accustomed to finding the ways mice get into the house of RVs and have taken preventative measures in that regard, but have already captured two mice on glue traps in the cab area in the last week. What should I be looking for from the engine / dog house / cab area of an E450 to stop the invasion?

2019 Greyhawk MVP
Ripwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #2

I think you should be looking elsewhere, other than the cab. The cab is very secure when it comes to rodents entering through it. I’d bet money they are coming from the camper, instead. No matter where you place your traps, you will catch anything running around inside the MH. They don’t stay in one place. Just sayin’.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:31 AM   #3

I had mice entering the RV also. They were in the bathroom, bedroom and near the dinette area. I caught 2 of them with mousetraps, and after an extensive search I found their path in.

The attached photo is the area under the bed. Where the arrow points to the green circle is where electrical wires come inside. There was a about a 1/2 hole where I could see daylight. I patched the hole with steel wool and foam. The mice had even built a nest in there with toilet paper stored under the bathroom sink. After doing this 2 years ago, I have never had anymore problems with them

I didn't notice any evidence of them in the cab area. Who knows, they probably checked that out as well.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Mouse Entrance.jpg  
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

Check the fire-wall very closely especially on the driver's side. Our 2001 had a hole that was about 1" where some of the wires came through and it did not have any kind plug to fill in the opening.

They are attracted to the wiring since much of the plastic coating contains soy.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They are attracted to the wiring since much of the plastic coating contains soy.
And if they chew up the main Ford chassis wiring harness under the hood, it’ll run several hundred dollars to replace it. I know.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripwild View Post
What should I be looking for from the engine / dog house / cab area of an E450 to stop the invasion?

Sorry, I couldn't resist....
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
At present a squirrel is sleeping in a nice bed made out the top of the insulated battery cover. I was talking to him/her the whole summer and thought probably it is OK.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom463219 View Post
I had mice entering the RV also. They were in the bathroom, bedroom and near the dinette area. I caught 2 of them with mousetraps, and after an extensive search I found their path in.

The attached photo is the area under the bed. Where the arrow points to the green circle is where electrical wires come inside. There was a about a 1/2 hole where I could see daylight. I patched the hole with steel wool and foam. The mice had even built a nest in there with toilet paper stored under the bathroom sink. After doing this 2 years ago, I have never had anymore problems with them

I didn't notice any evidence of them in the cab area. Who knows, they probably checked that out as well.

Good luck.

I had mice come in at exactly the same place as you did, through an incompletely sealed hole, and build a nest exactly as you described.
There is a wiring/plumbing raceway running from under the bed through the wall and behind the toilet and to the bathroom vanity where we had extra rolls of TP stored.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote