Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Mice In camper

We haven't went camping much this year because DW had to have surgery, so the camper has been stored more then usual. I went and checked on the camper today and I notice signs that we have mice that decided to use it has a home. I wanted to see what others are using to keep mice out.

Thanks

ohiocamp
2106 Seneca 37HJ
ohiocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #2

I bought Fresh Cab at Tractor Supply
Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

try the search function for Mice! Tons of suggestions.

I went the way of belt and suspenders, I crawled under and wherever there was an opening I stuffed them with strips of aluminum screen wire, calked into place and then put some foam over the whole plug.

I went inside and searched for as many places were wire or pipe went through the got the same treatment from above.

There is a foam called pest guard that applies like regular foam but has some kind of repellent or poison (never read the label)

After I cut off access where I could find them I left multiple sticky box traps, Fresh Cab and a through cleaning of every food surface with a disinfectant soap, don't forget the floor and the inside of the fridge! This will deter ants and other insects.

Three years wintering next to some woods with no visitors.

Foam insulation cans have to be held upside down, to spray hols upwards pick up a couple feet of clear plastic hose, slide it over the spray wand so you can effectively spray upward. rubber gloves, old clothes, had and eye protection, you will regret if if you don't. If the can is part full or you need to take a break rinse out the can top, spray head with acetone, you have about 30 seconds to do it and save the can for reuse. .
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #4

Mothball flakes sprinkled on the ground where the camper is parked. Dryer sheets throughout the camper at the end of the season.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:30 AM   #5

After 2600 dollars in damage to my last 5ver I used expanding foam in areas I could and steel wool others, no more damage or rodents, this was a bigger job than i thought, it involved removing all drawers everywhere, pulling the mattress off, you will be surprised how many places they can get in with the size of the openings for electrical and plumbing, i also placed sticky traps, the peanut butter ones from amazon in front and back of the tires when parked, was told that is where they probably got in.
Heaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

I leave plastic snap traps, maybe 4 , and leave the under sink cabinets open and place traps in that area. I figure they come in where the plumbing comes in. I check every other day. 2 mice a week is average but had worse weeks. I thought about ripping the cover off the bottom to better seal everything but my method seems to catch them as soon as they come in so have not had any damage that I know of. I live in the woods.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #7

I have done similar to RogerR, however, I did not use the sprayfoam.

I crawled under the HTT, found every opening, stuffed a little steelwool into the hole, then marine caulked it shut. Then I did the same from the topside.

I have never had a mouse in this TT. For 6 months out of the year it is stored in an old barn. During this time, I place a number of sticky traps around, I have only caught a few bugs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #8

Fresh Cab works for us.
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #9

Bounce Dryer Sheets keep mice away

I have been storing car in the winter for years. Bounce Dryer Sheets do the trick. In my trailer I put them behind the furniture, under the sinks, storage areas, and so on.

They work great.
Akraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Great Stuff product with PESTBLOCK

From 10/28/2015 post

Great Stuff - Insulating Foam Sealant with PESTBLOCK

I was getting ready to FINALLY seal the Glacial Package under body panel (the gap where it connects to the frame) with Great Stuff and came across this Great Stuff product with PESTBLOCK. It is supposed to deter mice, ants, roaches (Palmetto Bugs here in Florida), just about anything. So I just finished sealing the under body panel and a few other possible entry points. I was surprised to find about 5 openings large enough to let a LARGE mouse into the under body. I believe I read that it has a terrible tasting formula. I purchased 2 cans at Home Depot, one can ALMOST made it, but I needed to open the second can.

Well, so far in the last 3 years (now 6 years) we have yet to have any issues, but just thought I would take a little preventive maintenance. I will keep you informed if we encounter anything. Currently we have been using Peppermint oil soaked cotton swabs in plastic shot glasses in the storage compartments and in the cabinets. This way if I lose our shot glass I know where there are more. The peppermint oil and the dryer sheets combined seem to be doing the trick.

Although, the lizards (about 3" long) usually hide in the tongue section of the TT frame area, boy do they get pissed when we stay in the Blue Ridge mountains, like "We were kidnapped". but fun to watch.

Those of you encountering mice may also want to give it a try and let us know how it works.

Copied from another mice post.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM SPRAY - Great Stup with Pestblock.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
Site Team

One more place you may want to look at. Behind the AC/DC service panel, you would be amazed at the opening.

Don't forget to check under the spare tire for those that have it mounted under the TT. The hole for the lowering cable was HUGE! My fix is in the link to the earlier post above.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
EAGLE - Water Hose Floor Opening.jpg   EAGLE - Electrical Wiring Floor Opening.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote