Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

microwave/convection oven

Recently purchased a 2016 Jayco Melbourne 24L class C motorhome. The RV has a HighPointe microwave/convection oven which I am trying to use for the first time. The manual is not very helpful, and I have tried to use the control panel without success in baking something as simple as a potato. There is no instruction about how to disable the turntable if I want to (which is called for in some of the instructions) I cannot find a video online about this particular brand, and the only phone number I could find for customer service resulted in my reaching an automated message, not a real person! Can anyone help??? Jane
luvtocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Here's a bunch of links for that unit on various forums

https://www.google.com/search?q=high...=silk&ie=UTF-8
Old 10-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #3

HighPointe Microwave/Convection Oven

Hi Grumpy and all others who replied. Thank you for the many comments and efforts to help me. I can't believe the amount of time I am spending on this, doing the job that the manufacturer should have done in the first place. I am going to check my unit again as to the temperature accuracy, vent, and review the manual again to see if I might have missed something. Hope I can get it resolved before our next camping trip in 2 weeks. Jane
Old 10-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

We just had to play around with ours until we finally figured it all out. The manual was semi-helpful. Once we got the knack, we really love it now. It's twice as big as our convection/microwave in our Rpod. We feel it's a very substantial size. One thing we've discovered is that the time variance between convection and regular oven is only about 10 minutes. At first we really had to watch, because we were either under-cooking or over-cooking. Can't get to ours right now (oh my gosh, it's snowing), but is there a control on the panel for turning off the turnstyle? Would it really matter if you cooked with it on? We've never tried to turn it off - I'll have to check that out. By the way, we love our Melbourne!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #5

HighPointe Microwave/Convection Oven

Thank you Koko for your response. We tried making cookies yesterday, and they came out pretty well. I put them on parchment paper on top of the wire rack that fits into the oven. The cookies were chewy and tasty but not as brown and crisp as the ones I do in my home oven. It was not clear to me whether I needed to preheat before baking. The manual is lacking in many aspects which is a real bummer. By the way, we just booked an RV tour next year which includes part of Wyoming. Any suggestions for things we should do on our own? We're leaving NY in August in order to rendezvous with the tour group in early September. Should be anticipate snow??? Jane
Old 10-03-2016, 02:44 PM   #6

We always pre-heat ours (Samsung) Also we use a pizza pan that just fits on the rack since rectagular pans don't fit with the turn table moving.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

Hi luvtocamp (we do too), We also use parchment paper. We always preheat. In case you haven't figured this out yet, after the oven has preheated, you have to open it up, put your item in, then close it and set the cook time. Even if you have already put the item in before preheating, you have to open the door after it has preheated and close it again to set the time or it just stays on preheat. After you've opened the door and put your item in and closed the door, you have to set the time right away or it all shuts down within a couple of minutes. I thought that was confusing but finally figured it out! Technology can be overrated.

You won't have to worry about snow in September in Wyoming - this is just a cold snap we're having. We were traveling around northern Wyoming all September, and the weather was beautiful the whole time. It does get cool at night in September. What part will you be visiting? It's such a huge state that it's hard to make any recommendations unless we know what you'll actually be near during your free time and how long you'll have. We've been all over in our 36+ years living here, so let us know. We'd love to give you some ideas about our favorite places...it's a beautiful state with so much to see!! We're so proud to live here. September is perfect because most of the tourists have come and gone, so everything is less crowded. Of course, Yellowstone and Devils Tower are a must.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

Oven in Seneca may be different but in ours after preheating you need to reset the temp and time.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote