Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #21

Not sure I have ever heard flat towed TOAD called a dead tow vehicle, but I knew what you were talking about. A lot depends on how you’re going to use the vehicle. If it is only to be a TOAD and used when traveling, moderately high mileage and age may be less important. Our TOAD is also my daily driver. I wanted a reliable vehicle and found a very low mileage, less than a year old former rental that has worked out very well. It’s worth noting that the miles towed essentially are only miles on the wheels and tires. I always tell the folks where I get it serviced that we tow the car and they don’t worry about the 50k miles that don’t show on the odometer.
Old 10-28-2020, 02:07 PM   #22

Jeep Patriot is my daily driver. don't know how it tows but I got my 2016 brand new for 17k. all manual, no frills 4x4
dogmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #23

If I understand correctly, you want information about a vehicle to tow. My advise is to check out the FMCA Dingy Towing guide. It describes all types of vehicles, what can be towed and how, their weight, speed restrictions, etc.

I drive a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox, and tow it behind my motorhome as needed. It is easy to flat tow. I just take out 1 fuse (puts no mileage on the odometer), place the auto transmission into neutral, and keep my speed under 65 miles per hour.

You also need a braking system. I use the invisa brake system. It is similar to the Air Force One system used on diesel motorhomes with air braking. My system uses electrical rather than air. It is simple to hook up. I only need to install a cable from my motorhome to my towed car. And for lights, I went to Tractor Supply and bought their wireless braking system.

Hope this helps.

Nick

2011 Jayco Melborne motorhome
2016 Chevrolet Equinox
2000 Pleasureway Lexor van
NickMurabito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oldmf View Post
wow, is that ever a WRONG STATEMENT!

dealers do not care about you or the car, only $$$$$$$

most dealer would sell you a known lemon, and swear its perfect,

shop around for a clean, well maintained ( with documents) car you like,

stay clear of dealers!!!!!!
I've been a mechanic for 35 years and have bought several used vehicles from dealers. It is a crap shoot if you don't know what your looking at whether you go to a dealer or a private party. Both trucks we have now were bought from on-line pictures only from dealers that were a long way away from me. My 2010 Ram 2500 we flew 1700 miles and drove it home on nothing but the dealers pictures and word. It had 90k miles 4 years ago and now has 150k. My wife's 99 2500 we drove 600 miles to get off on-line photos 14 years ago when it had 130k on it. It now has 260k and going strong.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
We had a 2006 BMW that we were hit from behind and shoved into the truck in front of us. It had 13K miles on it when in the accident. It should have been totaled but the other insurance decided to repair it. 25K in repairs. When we traded it two different mechanics in two different dealerships looked at it and passed it with no previous damage. Carfax showed the accident. So much for having a mechanic check a vehicle.
It is possible to repair a vehicle correctly, in which case it should be very difficult to see. Just because a vehicle has been repaired does not mean it was done poorly. I have performed hundreds of used car checks. If I find evidence of repairs, I look closely to see if the repairs were done correctly. I would include it in the report but still determine the car is in good/safe condition unless I see something otherwise.
Old 10-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
sounds like you need a better mechanic/shop....

Even CarFax says to get it inspected by a mechanic.
https://www.carfax.com/blog/car-buying-checklist

I'm not saying a CarFax isn't good to have but I wouldn't rely solely on a CarFax report. A CarFax is one small step in the process.

-
A quality body shop can and typically does return most cars to their original state, making it very difficult to detect the repairs. Crappy body shops and insurance companies do the bare minimum and it shows. A used car check does not include using a magnifying glass and is done in 1.5 hours typically with a general check over of all of the car. That doesn't leave much time for creeping into every nook and cranny to try and find the slightest signs of repair. If you have to look that hard, the repairs were probably done well and may not be a concern at all.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:21 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavman View Post
Lol

Any used vehicle is a crap shoot

Go to a reputable dealer
You cant be serious. Always buy from a private party when possible. Get a car fax, maintenance history from owner (cant get that form a dealer), avoid paying sales tax. Maybe have it inspected by a mechanic or get a checklist and do it yourself. Most dealers, not all, dont have your best interest in mind.
Wtrboy502000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtrboy502000 View Post
You cant be serious. Always buy from a private party when possible. Get a car fax, maintenance history from owner (cant get that form a dealer), avoid paying sales tax. Maybe have it inspected by a mechanic or get a checklist and do it yourself. Most dealers, not all, dont have your best interest in mind.
Cant avoid paying sales tax in Texas and likely other states.

When you go to transfer the title and register for new plates, they assess the sales tax at that time and it due and payable then. If you fail to register and get caught, fines will result.

If you underwhelmingly list a price for the vehicle to lower your tax, registrar will assess based on fair market price. Even if you show up with a bill of sale from the seller that says $1.00, FMV will be assessed.

Gifting a vehicle is allowed but I have never tried that. Think you must be related to the seller/buyer.

Death and taxes cannot be sidestepped...

Michael and LaDonnah
2019 Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW - '06 Jeep TJ toad
Forestburg, Texas - Ham call - K5FT
msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:28 AM   #29

My BIL bought a used truck recently, CARFAX said minor front end damage repair from an accident. After he bought it and had it for a month or so, found out that a good friend of his owned the body shop that completed the repair for the dealer (dealer issued reported minor damage to CARFAX). His friend pulled up the repair slip to show him, the cost paid by the insurance claim was over $23k! It included right front fender, right side doors, front axle, cab damage, bent frame, and bed replacement. His friend however stated the repairs made were top notch and said there was a warranty for the repair if needed. So much for minor front end damage!

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote