Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2022, 01:42 AM   #1

Missing Part From Fresh Water Tank 2016 Redhawk

Spent the last 4 days in the desert at KOH without running water because apparently something fell out of my tank while driving. See picture attached.
I’ve spent the day trying to figure out what it is and I can’t seem to find it anywhere. The hole is the drivers side fresh water tank near the back. Wondering if it was just some type of freeze plug that fell out or something other type of plug. I don’t see anything hanging or loose and this was my third trip since New Years and I’ve always been able to keep water. The hole look to perfect to be a mistake.
Attached Thumbnails
D4E87060-2F46-4174-B9CE-CC1D739AF3B1.jpg   B9B19FB8-2522-47B0-8B6E-4B515AF4B7BE.jpg  
Nick Sturm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:37 AM   #2

... can't tell from the photo if the hole is near the bottom or top of the tank. You can see a level sensor in the photo below and to the left of the hole. The hole and sensor are at about the same height. You wouldn't have two sensors at the same level.

Here's an end photo of a replacement tank, the threaded coonections are for level sensors, and smaller diameter:https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/a...6&d=1644140212

Try putting some water in the tank and see where it runs out. If it's the overflow you could fill and use the tank while camping by filling when you arrive at your destination.

If it's the tank drain, it will have to be repaired before use. (You could put a plug in it for temporary use.) Because you have "no water", I'm thinking it's the drain. The overflow would likely leave some water in the tank.

Simple enough to diagnose: top - overflow; bottom - drain.
Attached Thumbnails
replacement tank.jpg  
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:37 AM   #3

Please disregard my previous post. I rotated the picture (easier to see now) and it's not the drain or the overflow.

The bottom fitting would be your drain if it's not plugged. With no depth from the photo, it's hard to tell the position of that connection and the spring. Also, there is no related piping.

While the tank is empty check and see if it's mounted properly. Unlikely, but it looks like it could have fallen some. If it did, any contact with that spring while travelling could have caused something to break.

Try adding some water. If it doesn't flow into the tank, it's your fill connection.

If it runs through the tank it's the drain (or a crack).

If the tank fills until it flows from that hole and the pump works its probably a sensor hole.

If the tank fills until it flows from that hole and the pump can't draw any water, it would be your supply line. Once again, it's hard to determine without any related piping.

I don't know if water tanks have knockouts. Someone else will know.
Attached Thumbnails
tank1.jpg  
Old 02-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #4

The hole is on the side. There doesn’t appear to be any loose sensors or plumbing. When filling the tank it takes water for a couple minutes and then starts coming out the side. I can use the pump but there is only about 1” of water in the tank.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Sturm View Post
The hole is on the side. There doesn’t appear to be any loose sensors or plumbing. When filling the tank it takes water for a couple minutes and then starts coming out the side. I can use the pump but there is only about 1” of water in the tank.
That's good news so far. It sounds like the system is working like it should except for the leak at the hole in the tank. I don't know why a hole like that would happen. I'm guessing it's a port that could be used in a different configuration (different builder or model).

I would try and patch the hole or plug it. Some internet research will probably find an easy and inexpensive method.

And it's also likely someone on this forum will have the answer.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #6

I can't tell if its threaded from the picture. Weird. I can't recall seeing anything like that on my tank, but I really haven't scrutinized the underside.

Regardless - I think you've discovered why it's not holding water. Plug it up.
Old 02-06-2022, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
I would try and patch the hole or plug it. Some internet research will probably find an easy and inexpensive method.

I plugged leaks in my last RV's water tank with epoxy. You'd want to find something to plug up most of the hole and then try epoxy around it.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:27 PM   #8

You are probably right about the hole being for some other configuration. The tank is tight and nothing is rubbing, it’s a perfect round hole so think a random plug is probably my the issue. There is a metal cover with 4 screws covering this area up. Funny thing is when I did some research it looks like I’m the only guy with this issue. I was planning on a quick epoxy cover but I didn’t know if it was there for some reason.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #9

I would go to the company that supplies commercial bottles or auto radiator supply outlet. and purchase an expandable rubber cork; expands by tightening the screw. Used to use these in a Radiator repair shop for repairing tanks and not once did a customer ever come back.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:02 AM   #10

At least temporarily, an expandable plug...

https://www.mcmaster.com/expansion-plugs/

2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
I would go to the company that supplies commercial bottles or auto radiator supply outlet. and purchase an expandable rubber cork; expands by tightening the screw. Used to use these in a Radiator repair shop for repairing tanks and not once did a customer ever come back.
I'll second the expanding plug fix. We used to use them as temporary freeze plugs in engine blocks back in the day. Might be able to find them at a local auto parts store.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:33 AM   #12

X2, on the temporary plug, you can also get them at any good hardware store.

I would also contact Jayco for the plumbing and 12V electrical diagrams, have your vin number handy. This might show you if there should be something in this location. FYI, the schematics are not fancy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, water ta, water tank hole