Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2022, 11:23 AM   #1

Missing Storage Compartment Bin

We have a new to us 2004 Granite Ridge that's missing a storage compartment bin. The storage door is there but no bin! Any suggestions where we can find a good used storage bin? Are there any others who have had to replace their storage bins? Any suggestions on the best way to tackle this issue?
Rogue Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #2

Wow - so the plastic compartment behind the door is gone? Any signs of it being torn off? Was it behind a wheel (wondering if a blowout took it out)?

Yikes - what would I do? I can't weld, but I can do wood. But I wouldn't use wood without some serious weather proofing. I don't know...

Have you tried reaching out to Jayco for their thought?
Old 02-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the bin is completely gone. Unfortunately I have no idea what happen to it as it was that way when we bought the RV. To make matters worse we hadn't noticed it was gone until we got home. UGH!
Old 02-13-2022, 02:09 PM   #4

Wow - so the plastic compartment behind the door is gone? Any signs of it being torn off? Was it behind a wheel (wondering if a blowout took it out)?
No, it looks very clean as if it was just removed. The location is fairly centered between front and back wheels.
Yikes - what would I do? I can't weld, but I can do wood. But I wouldn't use wood without some serious weather proofing. I don't know...
Good advice!
Not yet. Hoping to hear first from actual owners who have had to deal with this issue.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Runner View Post
Not yet. Hoping to hear first from actual owners who have had to deal with this issue.
Is there any chance of contacting the previous owner? I can't figure out why the plastic would be missing.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:54 PM   #6

Just to ask, the compartment is not for a missing generator perhaps? Also on mine, there is an open cabinet for the coach battery (has a metal frame in it) and another open cabinet for the propane tank.

Grab a few pictures if you can of one with the cabinet inside and the one without just for us to get a better idea of what yours looks like. Perhaps if you wanted to do so, you could use it for more batteries by adding a metal battery support frame instead of a complete cabinet. ~CA
Old 02-13-2022, 06:44 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
No, it looks very clean as if it was just removed. The location is fairly centered between front and back wheels.
Good advice!

I think Jayco is going to ignore you with a request on a 2004 rig. I am not sure they would even know at this point who the original vendor was. Hopefully someone with that rig can help.

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:48 PM   #8

A good sheet metal shop could probably fabricate a replacement pretty easily.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:48 AM   #9

Thanks so much for all your replies. Next time I'm at our storage facility I will take a picture or two and post. I really appreciate your interest in helping me remedy this mystery.
In response to a couple of questions:
1) No, the generator isn't missing but this bin less compartment is next to the generator.
2) I don't think this cimpartment had anything to do with battery storage as our coach battery is in a separate compartment in back.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:22 AM   #10

To the right of my generator for my 2005 Greyhawk is the compartment panel that has the valves to city/water storage, etc. It also has the electrical cord connection for shore power. This is all behind the rear dually wheels. Is yours similar?

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
To the right of my generator for my 2005 Greyhawk is the compartment panel that has the valves to city/water storage, etc. It also has the electrical cord connection for shore power. This is all behind the rear dually wheels. Is yours similar?
Yes, it sounds like the same set-up as ours. The bin that is missing is the one immediately to the left of the generator. It's just under our only slide.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes, it sounds like the same set-up as ours. The bin that is missing is the one immediately to the left of the generator. It's just under our only slide.
For some reason, I thought you were asking about the bin to the right. Sorry for that.

Perhaps a previous owner removed that bin to gain some sort of access to the slider? Was not required though...

This does bring up a question that could help you (and others like me); are there RV junk yards out there in the U.S.?

2007 Ford F150
Old 02-15-2022, 06:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
For some reason, I thought you were asking about the bin to the right. Sorry for that.

Perhaps a previous owner removed that bin to gain some sort of access to the slider? Was not required though...

This does bring up a question that could help you (and others like me); are there RV junk yards out there in the U.S.?
Your thought process is exactly like mine on both counts!

It is interesting to stick my head into that open cavity and inspect the slide mechanism but like you said it's not necessary.

As to the existence of RV junk yards, wouldn't that be like going to Heaven? Imagine all the challenges we could solve if we could just see units like ours and pull parts and/or see how things go together. Going to a RV junk yard would solve so many challenges in regards to keeping these older RV's in tip-top running condition.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:22 AM   #14

Bucko asked:

I did a quick search and found this link to various RV salvage yards and services around the country. Might this list be what Bucko and I are looking for?
https://rtrvg.com/blog/2017/07/22/us...ards-by-state/

Perhaps there're even better lists of these type of places?
Old 02-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #15
RPR

On our 2018 Greyhawk 31DS there is a compartment door on the drivers side toward the rear but no compartment. With our floor plan it make easy access to that area. We have enough storage with out it.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
On our 2018 Greyhawk 31DS there is a compartment door on the drivers side toward the rear but no compartment. With our floor plan it make easy access to that area. We have enough storage with out it.
Well that's great information. We have the 2004 Granite Ridge 2900GS.The compartment in question is on the driver's side like yours. It's the 3rd one down. It's the last one under our only slide (enlarges floorspace for kitchen & couch).

Sure would be great to confirm with someone with like model as ours if this compartment doesn't have a bin. Seems strange though that Jayco would install a storage door w/lock (that matches all the other compartments!) but this one has no bin. It's a real head scratcher.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Bucko asked:

I did a quick search and found this link to various RV salvage yards and services around the country. Might this list be what Bucko and I are looking for?
https://rtrvg.com/blog/2017/07/22/us...ards-by-state/

Perhaps there're even better lists of these type of places?
Oh boy...a junking I will go...!

2007 Ford F150
Old 02-22-2022, 09:07 AM   #18

Wall Paneling 1998 fifth wheel

looking for a 4x6 sheet of wall paneling color is "Blue" used in a fifth wheel jayco 3310 unit..
Paul Schwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:29 PM   #19

Did you mean to post in this topic? You might do better in finding the panel you need by starting a new post. Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2022, 01:36 PM   #20

I've been in touch with the factory and they sent me drawings on the basement storage bins in our 2004 Granite Ridge. Turns out there should be a sheetmetal bin in our empty space. Due to their help we can possibly take the drawing provided to a local sheetmetal shop and have them fabricate a replacement. Jayco has none of these in stock. Thanks to all who took the time to help us solve this mystery.