Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #1

Modifying storage bay to allow four 6v batteries

Hello all,

I want to modify the current battery box for my Greyhawk 2009 31FS so to allow four 6v batteries, without modifying the door. I measure up and I could fit in a bigger storage box measuring 24 inches in length by 17 inches wide and 17 inches in height . I have looked around on the net to find replacement storage bays such as he ones that came oem with the Greyhawk except larger without success. Anybody did a similar mod ?

Short of finding one , I may resort to building my own out of sturdy aluminum T6061 1/4 inch thick but was hoping to find something already built to save time .

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Also keep in mind you need to provide for fume venting and I would also add overflow to the ground in the event your batteries start boiling out.

On my install I lined-up several NOCO type Battery snap boxes across my trailer tongue area...

Roy's image

ALot of storage areas are directly under the bed area which is not a good place for a battery bank as far as safety to people is concerned...

I have personally seen a battery blow up from being directly shorted out and a 150AMP charge source was applied to it. Not a pretty site...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

I have a 31DS, so they may be similar. I have the single battery compartment that had one 12V and the slide out tray to gain access. I replaced this battery with a 6V and added a second in the poly compartment of similar size just next to the existing battery. Access is much tougher in this arrangement, but I went with sealed/maint free batteries, so not too concerned with it. There is some decent space up under that area, but not sure it was enough for 4 batteries, and if there were, I am not sure how you would build a tray to access them. As noted by Roy, you will want it ventilated which if it is an open tray sort of arrangement would be fine. There will be a lot of weight on this setup, so aluminum may not be your best choice as the movement of the MH will cause a lot of wear on the aluminum over time.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #4

Ok so thanks for the feedback. At this point , i am going to build the frame of the box out of angle iron (steel) 1 inch by 1inch, 1/8 inch in thickness.

I will reinforce corners with braces , which plan on welding, along with the frame. I have this welding machine sitting in the garage doing nothing, so i guess it is time for me to learn how to use it !

Once the frame is put together , i will use aluminum sheets for the sides, ideally 3/8 " in thickness. These panels will be bolted on as well as riveted between the bolts .

I fully expect this thing to be sturdy enough to endure my 10000 miles trip across Canada and the USA this summer .

I will coat it with something like rock guard...
jfguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote