Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #1

Montana Motorhome Registration

NV has stupid high vehicle registration fees. I’ve heard of and seen people who don’t live in Montana register thier motorhomes there because of the cheaper registration fees. Does anyone know the details of how it works? Do you need a Montana license to register it?
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's an interesting article on the subject.

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitf...cam-1711216059

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #3

Too many http's:

Try this.. https://jalopnik.com/the-pitf...cam-1711216059
Old 04-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #4

I am also thinking you may have to pay cash for the RV as I can’t imagine a bank financing a RV for a newly formed corporation that has no assets other than the RV. Plus the above insurance issue.

That being said, you do see many high end RVs with Montana tags.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #5

Also, when registered in the name of an LLC it may be considered a commercial vehicle subject to commercial vehicle weight requirements and road use taxes.

Seek real legal advice first and not the advice from arm chair or out house lawyers. With me I'd be the one getting the book thrown at while the out house lawyer skates. Ask yourself if the penalty and fines would be greater than the annual taxes.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Also, when registered in the name of an LLC it may be considered a commercial vehicle subject to commercial vehicle weight requirements and road use taxes.

Seek real legal advice first and not the advice from arm chair or out house lawyers. With me I'd be the one getting the book thrown at while the out house lawyer skates. Ask yourself if the penalty and fines would be greater than the annual taxes.
Yes, I would like to hear a real lawyer’s take on this. As the saying goes, “free legal advice is worth about half of what you paid”.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
CAG

I don't know about Nevada but I know that Arizona aggressively goes after people who circumvent state registration but still live (6 months out of the year), work or put their kids in school here. Just getting a PO box in another state does not qualify you as a resident if you meet the above definition of a resident.

The other issue I see with this discussion is it is discussing a questionably illegal activity on the thread and I wonder what the Mods think of that?

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team

I included a link to the thread, pointing out the questionable legality of it, to answer TwinDads original question.

Since we don't want anyone to fall into a questionable, or possibly illegal situation, the best way to describe it was a link to an article that spelled it out. There are many more on the web that parallel the possible troubles that folks may encounter if they did this.

I have seen advertisements in magazines promoting this, and had an idea it wasn't a very good situation to pursue.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

You have to bring it to a Montana Vehicle Inspection station yearly - to renew your tags.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #10

Just today my Florida tag renewal notice for my Seneca came in the mail.
It is $60.10 for the year, so I am not complaining. I did have to pay 6% sales tax (now 7%) when I bought it.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
You have to bring it to a Montana Vehicle Inspection station yearly - to renew your tags.
From what I’ve read on the Montana DMV site they don’t do vehicle or smog inspections.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Just today my Florida tag renewal notice for my Seneca came in the mail.
It is $60.10 for the year, so I am not complaining. I did have to pay 6% sales tax (now 7%) when I bought it.
I paid over 8% sales tax and the annual registration will cost me about 2k per year. We don’t have state income tax so they hose us with vehicle registration and sales tax.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #13
CAG

Some states have personal property taxes which includes boats, RVs sometimes cars etc. and they generally have low vehicle licensing fees. Some states do not have personal property tax and have high tag fees. They get you one way or another.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #14

Lots out there to read about this subject. If you are doing it for tax avoidance while maintaining a permanent residence in another state, watch out. Some states are looking for you. On the other hand if like me you retired sold everything and went full time into an rv this strategy can save you some big dollars. We formed an LLC after retiring and selling everything we owned. Lived in our 5th wheel and then bought the class a straight into the LLC. No state liability since we already broke out of the state. My advice for what it’s worth is to get legal guidance prior to going this route. You do not have to live in Montana for this and also no annual inspections. In the old days lots of people doing it for tax avoidance that did not qualify. This has a lot of states looking for there fair share. When we went back into a house we plated the new class c in the state we live even though we still had the LLC. I like to sleep at night so to me not worth the tax avoidance liability. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob View Post
Lots out there to read about this subject. If you are doing it for tax avoidance while maintaining a permanent residence in another state, watch out. Some states are looking for you. On the other hand if like me you retired sold everything and went full time into an rv this strategy can save you some big dollars. We formed an LLC after retiring and selling everything we owned. Lived in our 5th wheel and then bought the class a straight into the LLC. No state liability since we already broke out of the state. My advice for what it’s worth is to get legal guidance prior to going this route. You do not have to live in Montana for this and also no annual inspections. In the old days lots of people doing it for tax avoidance that did not qualify. This has a lot of states looking for there fair share. When we went back into a house we plated the new class c in the state we live even though we still had the LLC. I like to sleep at night so to me not worth the tax avoidance liability. Good luck.

Enjoy the journey
I’ve already paid the sales tax on it. I’m not looking to avoid that. I’m just exploring a cheaper option to register it.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
Yes, I would like to hear a real lawyer’s take on this. As the saying goes, “free legal advice is worth about half of what you paid”.
I wouldn't, not here!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:52 AM   #17
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
I’ve already paid the sales tax on it. I’m not looking to avoid that. I’m just exploring a cheaper option to register it.
legally? Move to a state with lower registration fees. As mentioned in the earlier post I don't know of a legal way to be a resident in one state and register your vehicles in another.

Old 08-13-2022, 12:21 PM   #18
shw

BUT-the better option is Florida! Montana-I was a resident who move to another state but kept my MT residency-they wanted me to drive back to Mt. from Virginia to actually inspect the vehicle first before renewing my license plate. Look up SBI in Green Cove Springs in FL.
Sw
shw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
legally? Move to a state with lower registration fees. As mentioned in the earlier post I don't know of a legal way to be a resident in one state and register your vehicles in another.
X2. While I don’t like paying taxes, I have better things to do than scheme out to avoid fees and worry about getting caught. Life’s too short.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote