Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #1

motor scooter / moped advice

Hello All. On our second trip - to York PA - and we're quickly realizing that we need a "toad" (except the wife is still very hesitant about towing anything (work in progress)). I have a 28' Redhawk 26XD. In the meantime, does anyone use a motor scooter (attached on a rack)? Can you get models that will carry 2 riders, or is that not practical? What brands are good (price is important - a toad is in the future)? How do you lift them onto the rack to transport them? Any other info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

My wife and I take scooters (Genuine Buddy 125) along with us. I added a receiver hitch on the front of the Greyhawk and we carried one on the front and one on the back. I used the motorcycle carriers from Harbor Freight and I liked them very much. I have one for sale if you ever come up Rochester, New York area. They are easy enough to load/unload my wife does it by herself. The 125 scooters are powerful enough to travel 55-60 mph but do require a regular motorcycle license. If you get the 50cc version, most states do not require a motorcycle license but the scooters are limited to about 30-35 mph. The Buddy is not a good two person scooter although there are others that are. We have a combined 12,000 miles on out scooters without one single issue.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #3

I'm in this self-debate as well. I'm right on the edge of going Dual Sport motorcycle 250 cc. Less than 300 lbs so it can be pushed onto a trailer hitch rack on the back. Enough power to ride 2 on most back roads.
We rented a car on our last trip to site see but that's not cheap and you have to drive the RV there to PU and drop off. I have used the RV to drive (smaller rig) but it's a 15-20 min exercise to unhook and get ready to drive. Not sure I want to pull car but I'm also thinking that as well. Can get a used tow dolly around $600.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #4

Google Honda Silverwing. Suzuki makes a 2 up one as well.

Wife and I rented a 50cc one in FL one year when we went down with some friends. Each couple (4) rented a 50cc scooter, and we all went 2 up (we were all experienced MC riders) so it was a blast. Acceleration was horrible but funny, brakes were horrible and scary. The downpours that FL gets are not fun on a scooter or full size bike. We would "draft" each other and make passes like we were in a Nascar race, but at only 35mph going downhill. LOL. Oh to be younger and dumb again.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:08 AM   #5

The Honda Silverwing is way more than a scooter with up to an 800CC twin V engine. It will most definitely carry two and go highway speeds easily. The Suzuki Burgman comes in a 400cc and I believe a 650 version, also quite capable but neither are as cheap as the 50cc varieties, of which you would need two. Stay away from anything Chinese. No offense to their otherwise industrious capabilities in manufacturing but they are not yet up there with the Japanese for reliability.

For anything big enough to comfortably carry two, I think you may need an actual trailer. We recently bought a Kendon, ride up, one bike trailer for our Yamaha FJR1300, slightly larger than the scooters. It weighs about 350 and the bike is 700+, so around an additional 1050 pounds to tow on our 32' Greyhawk.

We just returned from 9 days in NM and CO and used the Yamaha in a few places to sight see and hit the grocery stores.
Attached Thumbnails
FJR.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #6

Here's my light Duty Set-Up
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

This is my light duty set-up LOL
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2262.JPG  
ninjafreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #8

Our 2 50cc Chinese scooters will do 47mph.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjafreek View Post
This is my light duty set-up LOL
That looks like a Honda Grom! Should have included that in my suggestions. great little bike.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #10

This is a Suzuki Burgman 400 on a Kendon trailer. A little heavy for a bumper mounting but it pulls wonderfully on the Kendon and is very capable of hauling myself and DW around for access to just about anything while out and about! Greyhawk 29MV
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-6581.jpg  
soons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Another great small bike that can easily haul 2 people is the Yamaha TW200 at about 280lbs so pretty light. Also great for trails if you want that also. You can get many different racks for them for carrying things like groceries or running for parts. Pretty cheap to pick up used with very low miles. Easy to load on a standard hitch rack.
Attached Thumbnails
870CAC33-BCD6-40AB-91AC-CB930DACA0B6.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #12

While different in every state, most states recognize scooters less than 50cc in engine size as not requiring a motorcylce endorsement...more like bikes. Most 50cc scooters will be wanting to haul two people unless you are pretty light. Next step is "scooters" that fit into the motorcycle range. There are many 100cc and up (150cc is popular) that will haul two people at speeds around 45mph or so (pardon my generalities). For hitch mount carriers, you will need to stay in the 250cc or less range (again...generality) to keep the weight managable. The TW200 mentioned above is a true 55 to 60 mph bike....2-up that would likely be a limit. Also Suzuki is coming out with a similar bike this year to the TW, but I like the TW and have ridden a couple.

So the key is, if your state requires a motorcycle endorsement, then you will need to get that for the larger bikes/scooters, or each of you will need to ride your own 50cc scooter, which can be a lot of fun too.

As for the Bergman and similar.....come on guys....those things are street bikes disguised as sooters (LOL). They are a very pleasant ride, but I know guys who tour cross-country on 400 and 650 Bergman's when they can't get the leg over a GL1500 or Harley any more.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #13

Awesome! Just like our trailer. Love it
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 08-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #14

Great little trailer, only we didn't get the ride up model; Burgy is easy to push up. Love being able to stand it on its' end! The trailer lol
soons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click_here View Post
That looks like a Honda Grom! Should have included that in my suggestions. great little bike.
Honda is coming out with an updated small bike next year that will be familiar to anyone who rode Hondas in the 60s. The Super Cub looks to be a nice little runabout. Top speed is estimated to be 55 MPH.

And a +1 for a Kendon trailer. We have one for our Honda Shadow 1100cc cruiser. It’s a great bike trailer. Love the fact that it stands up in the garage and takes up very little floor space. Only wish I had the newer model with ride-on capability.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:30 PM   #16

We have a 2010 Honda Sh150i, four stroke fuel injected and liquid cooled. It's smooth, fast and keeps up with traffic with two riders. Not a highway ride, but great for everything else. You can buy them used for very reasonable prices. We use a versahaul hitch mount carrier, great for the 300 Lb. bike.
Seniorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99336 View Post
While different in every state, most states recognize scooters less than 50cc in engine size as not requiring a motorcylce endorsement...more like bikes. Most 50cc scooters will be wanting to haul two people unless you are pretty light. Next step is "scooters" that fit into the motorcycle range. There are many 100cc and up (150cc is popular) that will haul two people at speeds around 45mph or so (pardon my generalities). For hitch mount carriers, you will need to stay in the 250cc or less range (again...generality) to keep the weight managable. The TW200 mentioned above is a true 55 to 60 mph bike....2-up that would likely be a limit. Also Suzuki is coming out with a similar bike this year to the TW, but I like the TW and have ridden a couple.

So the key is, if your state requires a motorcycle endorsement, then you will need to get that for the larger bikes/scooters, or each of you will need to ride your own 50cc scooter, which can be a lot of fun too.

As for the Bergman and similar.....come on guys....those things are street bikes disguised as sooters (LOL). They are a very pleasant ride, but I know guys who tour cross-country on 400 and 650 Bergman's when they can't get the leg over a GL1500 or Harley any more.
And also check with the local Forest Service! They have many FS-roads that are for licensed vehicles only - that includes either a street legal tag, or an OHV tag. If your scooter has neither, you are likely in violation.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #18

Live in Md. I have a Burgman 400(2008), 10,000+ miles..new tires, battery..am selling . If interested, contact me. Easily carry 2, but agree small trailer way to go. I went the toad route as wife "not totally comfortable at all times on Burgman.
cybearnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soons View Post
This is a Suzuki Burgman 400 on a Kendon trailer. A little heavy for a bumper mounting but it pulls wonderfully on the Kendon and is very capable of hauling myself and DW around for access to just about anything while out and about! Greyhawk 29MV
You can do what you want. But I wouldn't tow a bike with a cover on it.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Another great small bike that can easily haul 2 people is the Yamaha TW200 at about 280lbs so pretty light. Also great for trails if you want that also. You can get many different racks for them for carrying things like groceries or running for parts. Pretty cheap to pick up used with very low miles. Easy to load on a standard hitch rack.
I want one of these so bad I can't stand it!
BassOverflow is offline   Reply With Quote