Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Mouse proofing 31fs

I just wanted to share my findings with anyone experiencing rodent issues like I did in the motor home. Since I'm a veteran exterminator it was a bit embarrassing to find droppings in my stove and drawers. I spent a lot of time sealing up different holes one at time so I knew where the problem was. I'm pretty sure I nailed it this time.

The mice have 4 access points, the tires. From there they will climb on and around the chassis and plumbing. If you climb underneath and follow all of the house plumbing and electrical to the entry points you will find the black foam they used to seal. Some of these areas were not completely sealed. I would recommend the same black foam if you can find it.

The main entry point I found on my 31fs was difficult to access. Above the rear wheel on the drivers side there is a thin aluminum shield. Remove the screws holding it in place and look up between the tanks. Theres a large square hole where a bunch of water lines come up through the floor. Mine had no sealant and plenty of room for mice or even squirrels for that matter. I pushed a piece of a product called excluder in there and sealed it with black foam. I did this last summer and i'm happy to report I have not had one mouse since. The motor home has even been sitting unused for the past six months.

Another issue I had was a chewed propane line. They bit clean through my main line and dumped an entire tank. I was able to call the supplier directly and get a replacement. The old hose was a bear to remove. I wrapped the new hose in a heavy hvac aluminum tape to hopefully discourage any further chewing.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #2

Thank you for your tips. I have a 31 fs and will be going over it soon to check for openings. My problem has been squirrels. On my last rig, they chewed through half the main wiring harness and splicing and repairing was not easy. They also chewed all the insulation off the main battery cables. It was a nightmare.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote