Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2021, 10:30 AM   #1

Moving up question on Class C's

I have driven many Class A,s and now have my 1st Class C
I love it but am thinking about moving up in length.
i now have 26.8 ft Class C.
I am looking at a 29.11 ft Class C
and also a 32.6 Class C

Two questions......

Is there going to be a big difference driving and handling between the smaller and larger ones ?

Is there going to be a big difference driving and handling between the 30' and 32" ones ???

Thanks
Jim
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7489 View Post
and also a 32.6 Class C

Two questions......

Is there going to be a big difference driving and handling between the smaller and larger ones ?

Is there going to be a big difference driving and handling between the 30' and 32" ones ???

Thanks
Jim
Really can’t speak to how the differences in size drive, but will just share that I had never driven ANY RV before I bought mine. It’s a 32 footer, picked in up in Virginia and after a few helpful hints in a parking lot I drove it home to Georgia. Had rain, traffics backups (which necessitated I change lanes back and forth) and a good taste of highway driving. That was over 2 years ago and I feel pretty comfortable driving it.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:48 AM   #3

I would think the longer the length that handling would be affected but there's relatively inexpensive mods that can be done to assist.
I drive a 32ft 31fs and have never drove a shorter class C. Prior to my mods I had major tail sway and resolved it by adding thicker sway bars, steering stabilizer, rear and front sumo absorbers. I no longer get any uncomfortable sway. Handling has improved but there's always room for improvement.
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #4

My 30X is 32.5. I drive my delivery truck which is very similar in length so was a walk in the park bringing home. Should not be a huge difference in ride but it will only be better if anything. Only thing I can think of as far as being careful is the tail swing out on turns.
Antper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:06 PM   #5

I wouldn't say a big difference but there is a difference. I had a 22 foot C and then a 32 foot 31FS. The 22 footer was nimble and easy to put just about anywhere, less affected by crosswinds, and I would describe as light on it's feet. I wouldn't think a whole lot of difference between a 27 and a 32, but the bigger it is the more careful you need to be. One issue I had with the Greyhawk was the steering is very heavy compared to my 22 footer, due to it's much heavier load. I don't think you'll have any problem adjusting to whatever you get.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 PM   #6

While my 32 footer didn't drive bad, I had a Safe-T-Plus installed up front and a new track bar in the rear and it definitely makes a difference. Passing trucks are a lot less noticeable, and I could steer with one hand (but choose not to ). I understand having the Safe-T-Plus or similar helps in case of a blowout (hopefully never).
Old 03-03-2021, 06:08 AM   #7

We have a very low mileage '02 thirty-two foot Jayco Designer. Amoung other things we have new tires. I have long experience driving many, many various length and weight trucks and bus'. I do intend to, over time heavy up the suspension. In the meantime the best description I can come up with is that it's like driving a couch. Yep, thats a good description, like driving a couch only without a nap. The only advice I have is stand at the side of your rig and look at how much of it extends out behind the rear axle. A small turn of the front to the right or left swings that six feet a long way to the left or right. I'm teaching my eighteen year old step son to drive it. I set up a couple of traffic cones in the parking lot. Didn't take long for him to see what happens. FYI I'm a very long time resident of the Washington DC area. The end of this month we're taking the MH to the Navel Station Annapolis RV campground for a week, $22.00 a night, water 30 amp hook up and dump station. It's great being a Vet. We'll then use the toad to visit family and spend time in DC. We bought it to use it.

Best regards to all!
Feeds Four
Sleeps Two
Mahatnmacoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #8

Having never driven something this big before I bought the RV two years ago, I've found that the little blind spot mirrors are my best friends, particularly with curbs...
Old 03-03-2021, 08:25 AM   #9

I was new to RVs but had truck and camp trailers for years

Rv is WAYYYYYYY easier to drive and negotiate, hell even with my Toad behind it

I mean sure, in San Antonio they worked on freeway, 4 lanes to 2, windy as hell, getting passed by Semis...sure THAT sucked.... But would pulling my trailer too

Just drive them and relax
Stavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

I have only driven a short Class C a few times, never owned one. Mine is 32' long. I will say (as others stated) that the tailswing is what you have to watch. For example if you are in the right lane of two lanes at a stop light and plan to turn right, your tail section will likely crossover and hit any vehicle to your left. Same at the gas pumps, don't turn sharp leaving the pumps w/o watching the tail section swing very closely. Driving down the highway though is a pleasure on mine, after a few suspension related upgrades. ~CA
Old 03-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #11

I drove numerous sizes of delivery trucks for a few years and now own a Greyhawk 29MV. In my opinion, the drivability of the size differences you are talking about could be down low on your decision comparison list. You will not notice that much difference between them, especially the 30’ to the 32’. I have driven mine extensively through 7 of the western states, both with and without a toad, and have had no drivability issues.
Haroldpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 02:57 PM   #12

moving up class c

We have had a 32 ft 5th wheel and several 32 ft tt's over the last 30 yrs. We are both retired many yrs and currently have a 2019 jayco class c 25 ft 22j. Dw has shared the driving on long trips no problem. Typically rent from enterprise rental since we do not have a toad avail. Enterprise is great when needed. Our 22j is also great, can go anywhere with it, dw loves the layout. Smaller is better...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7489 View Post
and also a 32.6 Class C

Two questions......

Thanks
Jim
Yes, big difference. You will have a lot more of the “tail wagging the dog” because of much more cantilevered weight and length over the rear axel.

Just make sure you install a track bar, front sway bar, ( if it’s factory OEM), positive caster alignment and a new steering damper. You will be fine! I would do it in this order and test the results each time. I did all the above on my 28’ 8” C and also had rear air ride installed. HUGE DIFFERENCE! J Ride, + or not, I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #14

I’ve had a few C’s over the years and w/ the Jayco’s I’ve found adjusting those helper springs is the very first thing I do. I’ve never done the trackbar - I’ve never felt I’ve needed it. This time around the dealer is installing a Safe-T Plus steering stabilizer as part of the deal; I’m anxious to see how it drives.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #15

The longer the wheel base is, the better any Class A or C will handle.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
Al1

Class C

I have a 28' Jayco Redhawk. I actually wanted one a little shorter because I don't pull a dinghy. You will be surprised that the DW won out. One big difference between the small and large RV is the turning radius. If you are pulling a dinghy that won't matter much, but driving without a car means I can do u-turns much easier with the smaller RV.

By the way: I've heard that the optimum length for an RV is 3 feet longer than the one I currently own.
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #17

Sorry to say that safe T damper is barely noticeable except when hitting ruts, it’s quick to center.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #18

I had a 2019 26XD Redhawk that measured 28'. I had to add the Roadmaster steering stabilizer because the tail wagging, especially in the Kansas wind. I traded last year for a 2021 29MV Greyhawk which is almost 33'. I added the steering stabilizer to this one also just because I wanted the security in case I blew out a front tire because of having that happen before. I think the 29MV .actually handles better because even though it is longer so is the wheelbase. The ride is definitely smoother and better but the turning radius is definitely longer. I think it actually has less tailwag though. The 29MV Greyhawk was just a lot higher quality also.
bmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antper View Post
Only thing I can think of as far as being careful is the tail swing.
Many years ago when I moved up from a 21' to 32' I learned the hard way when the drivers side rear caught a gas pump cement barrier and nicked the end. I pulled out of a tight spot and turned right thinking I had cleared everything but an inch or so clipped it. If I had pulled out another couple inches before turning right I would have missed it. Lesson learned and the repair was expensive but could have been worse I suppose.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Many years ago when I moved up from a 21' to 32' I learned the hard way when the drivers side rear caught a gas pump cement barrier and nicked the end. I pulled out of a tight spot and turned right thinking I had cleared everything but an inch or so clipped it. If I had pulled out another couple inches before turning right I would have missed it. Lesson learned and the repair was expensive but could have been worse I suppose.
I have had class Cs from 21,24,and 30. I usually tow a trailer and the to longer wheel base was better towing. I now have a 36' Super C. I'll never go back to a C. It is so much better that an C I've had. Tows great, truck don't push it around. Feels much safer. No towing hard think you in something that large. Also the turning radius is must better the the Ford Cs.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote