Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #21

On your Redhawk check all the light diffusers that cover the interior LED lights. A few of mine were loose they are very heavy and just came off while I was driving it the first few times. If it would’ve hit someone in the head it would’ve been a trip to the emergency room for sure! I noticed I have some with plastic covers and some with heavy glass covers don’t know why it’s mixed matched? Just grab them and turn them clockwise to tighten them.

As for gas mileage when I tow and keep an average speed around 65 I get 8 miles to the gallon. As for the water tank I use to travel full all the time, but now I travel with half a tank. (We don’t dry camp and we carry cases of drinking water),Only because I frequently drain and clean my tanks out I find draining and cleaning a full tank to be a lot of wasted water and time.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPEagle View Post
How is this useful to anyone?

X2 perhaps some feel it's cool to be negative...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #23

One of the most important things about MPG with an RV is wind and hills.
Go with the wind and you might get 10-11 mpg turn around and
get 6-7 mpg. Going up a long mountain pass against the wind and
you can watch the gas gauge go down.
Also don't forget if you are using your generator with 2 ac on it will
also be using fuel.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by putz View Post
One of the most important things about MPG with an RV is wind and hills.
Go with the wind and you might get 10-11 mpg turn around and
get 6-7 mpg. Going up a long mountain pass against the wind and
you can watch the gas gauge go down.
Towing the trailer across Wyoming, up and down mountain passes on I-80, got 10 to 11 MPG. Figured I'd do better crossing flat Nebraska.

NAHHHHH!!!

The winds dragged MPG to between 6 and 8 mpg.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SGPETE View Post
I said that if I had needed to know that, then maybe I shouldn't have bought the rig. It is what it is.

Ha Ha Ha... I was just thinking the same thing... Wondering about an RV and good gas MPG, well, I remember a popular saying, "If you have to ask, then maybe you can't afford it".

Bad gas mileage and RV's go together like peanut butter and jelly!
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #26

--I never carry water if we will be staying at a campground that has water hookups.
--If we are dry camping, then I carry a full load. To me, water is weight, which is a safety issue. And water is lower mpg.
--As for mpg, we get from 9 to 16, depending on hills, wind, and if we are towing the Jeep.
Our rig is a 2016 Melbourne on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.
Our first rig was a 2002 Tioga with the Ford V10, which is a thirsty workhorse.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #27
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
--I never carry water if we will be staying at a campground that has water hookups.
--If we are dry camping, then I carry a full load. To me, water is weight, which is a safety issue. And water is lower mpg.
--As for mpg, we get from 9 to 16, depending on hills, wind, and if we are towing the Jeep.
Nothing for nothing, and not to be snarky, but we have similar sized rigs that come in around 14,500 lbs. GVWR. If carrying 25 gallons of water (200 lbs.) makes or breaks your fuel mileage and is a safety issue, but towing a 4000 lb. vehicle behind you is OK, you might have your priorities and focus in the wrong area.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Ha Ha Ha... I was just thinking the same thing... Wondering about an RV and good gas MPG, well, I remember a popular saying, "If you have to ask, then maybe you can't afford it".

Bad gas mileage and RV's go together like peanut butter and jelly!

Perhaps it has nothing to do with cost of fuel, but approximately how far you can go so they can plan out fuel stops...perhaps looking at google earth to see which stations offer easiest access. I know I plan out most of my fuel stops especially in the west where you can have few choices, and don't want to assume there will be a station exactly where you will need fuel. I've gone some long distances with no fuel available, would hate to miss the last chance. I do follow my dad's advice, just as easy to fill the top half as the bottom half..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I've gone some long distances with no fuel available, would hate to miss the last chance. I do follow my dad's advice, just as easy to fill the top half as the bottom half..
Yep. I do what another poster mentioned above in all my vehicles. When it gets to 1/2 a tank, I start keeping my eyes open for the next opportunity to fill up.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:50 AM   #30

Relative MPG

We just took a trip in our Alante towing a 4,500 lb Chevy Colorado for the first time. We got 9 MPG doing 55 mph max. My 99 Suburban got 12.5 in town and 16 on the Interstate. I had a GMC back in the 70s that got 6 MPG so I'm amazed at the good mileage the Alante gets hauling that amount of weight around.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #31

MPG on a REDHAWK 26XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredone View Post
nothing for nothing, and not to be snarky, but we have similar sized rigs that come in around 14,500 lbs. Gvwr. If carrying 25 gallons of water (200 lbs.) makes or breaks your fuel mileage and is a safety issue, but towing a 4000 lb. Vehicle behind you is ok, you might have your priorities and focus in the wrong area.

x2 !!
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #32

I have the Chevy version, 26X1. I've averaged between 9 and 10 mpg staying towing with a max of 65 mph.
FrenchieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #33

AVG around 7.9
High of 8.5 (tailwind)
Low (really low) 4.5 Genny use for 3 days, towing trailer with two 4 wheelers through NH White Mountain and had my foot into it.
Moty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #34

The faster I drive the quicker I get there.....to the poor farm that is!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengsr View Post
Just purchased a REDHAWK 26XD and my question is what is the MPG on the F450 platform?

Thank you
High of 8.4 with a tailwind
Low of 4.5 towing, speeding and using genny
3500 mi trip to fl was 7.9
Old 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #36
Al1

Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Nothing for nothing, and not to be snarky, but we have similar sized rigs that come in around 14,500 lbs. GVWR. If carrying 25 gallons of water (200 lbs.) makes or breaks your fuel mileage and is a safety issue, but towing a 4000 lb. vehicle behind you is OK, you might have your priorities and focus in the wrong area.

You are absolutely right! I have not thought about it that way, which of course now seems obvious, so thank you for that comment! No more worrying about carrying water.
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:03 PM   #37

Water Weight

I recently filled my fresh water tank to the top after dewinterizing it and was amazed at how much smoother it rode afterwards.
Yamaha XT250
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
Id focus on big things, like cabinets falling off ths wall and crap like that vs. milage at this point.
I was kind of thinking something similar...

After having been on this forum as long as I have, started out towing a trailer with a 1/2T pickup, then a 3/4T (gasser), and now a 33’ motorhome on an E-450 chassis, if you have to ask or are overly concerned about fuel economy, you may have entered the wrong hobby! LOL!!

Seriously though, I get about 7 mpg average. Sometimes towing my old wrangler, sometimes not. Sometimes running the genny, sometimes not... LOTS of factors to consider when gauging MPG on a motor home. I generally can be found cruising between 65-70 depending on the wind direction and whether I have a dinghy along.
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #39

Mpg

2 tanks of gas later here is what I'm getting. First time out 200 miles driving 60 ~65 MPH averaging 10 MPG. Driving back going 70~75MPH my MPG went down to 8.5. Second trip out keeping at 65 MPH looks like 10MPG.
Chengsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:37 AM   #40

MPG only one consideration

While watching the gas pump total spiraling upwards and especially having to slide the credit card more than once to fill up can be painful, consider how much money you are saving by having your bedroom and kitchen with you at all times. That night you spent in a Walmart parking lot would have cost how much at a hotel? Instead of eating at a fast food place for breakfast and lunch, you can pull into a rest stop and make a sandwich or heat a TV dinner in the microwave. Speaking of pulling into a rest stop, you know your bathroom is clean and free of sketchy characters too.
Yamaha XT250