Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #1

Cool Multiple Systems Failure!

We recently moved and our 2015 Jayco 29ME Class C motorhome is parked on a beautiful slab with full hookups outside our home. I went to level it today and found that many systems seem to have failed. All systems worked fine before I moved the coach to it's new location 3 weeks ago.
Before providing the list I will affirm that the engine is off, the parking brake is set, the propane is on, the coach is plugged in to ground power (with surge protector) and the master power switch is on:

Systems that don't work:
  1. The Equalizer auto-level system turns on but will not operate
  2. The generator will not start - the starter switch clicks
  3. The Girard hot water heater presents error code E1 and will not produce hot water. This generation 3 water heater does not have a reset button.
  4. The electric starter on the stove fails to produce a spark but the stove can be manually lit, confirming that propane is flowing.
None of the circuit breakers have tripped.

Systems that do work:
  1. Exterior & interior lights and fans
  2. Electric awning extends and retracts
  3. All 3 slides move in and out
Does anyone have any ideas for a simple fix at home or must I take it in.

Thank
Dave & Karen Basham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Test your house battery. When mine went bad after only two years it made the leveling jacks go haywire even though i was plugged into shore power.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #3

x2
You have a dead coach battery.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

Well, the coach batter is definitely a problem - 11.23v reading means it's under 10% charge even though it was plugged into ground power for more than a week. I had no idea that the systems wouldn't work with a dead batter if I was still plugged into ground power. Thanks again for the tip!
Dave & Karen Basham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Team

I you were plugged into shore power, something should have been keeping it charged. Check out the converter output and connections to the battery.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Karen Basham View Post
Well, the coach batter is definitely a problem - 11.23v reading means it's under 10% charge even though it was plugged into ground power for more than a week. I had no idea that the systems wouldn't work with a dead batter if I was still plugged into ground power. Thanks again for the tip!
Check the DC output side of the converter when it's powered by shore or generator power--it should be at 13 volts.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

Girard E1 error;
E1: Ignition failure or accidental flame off during ignition. If the established flame signal is lost while the burner is operating, the control will respond within 0.8 seconds, the gas valve is de-energized and a new inter-purge and ignition routine will begin. If the burner does not light, the control will de-energize the gas valve and will make two more attempts to relight the burner. If the burner does not relight after the three trials the control will go into LOCKOUT and the unit will need to be turned off before it can operate again. This could occur for a number of reasons. The most common are:

• Lack of Gas in the tank • Faulty Igniter • Faulty Igniter connections • Improper distance between the Igniter and the Burner • Accumulated dirt or obstruction between • Igniter and Burner • Low Gas Inlet pressure
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #8

When plugged in make sure the inverter is turned on. This insures battery charge
Old 11-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschiller View Post
When plugged in make sure the inverter is turned on. This insures battery charge
This is a new one I have never heard.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
This is a new one I have never heard.
I'm sure he means CONVERTER.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

Some RVs are equipped with an inverter/charger combination as opposed to a converter/charger.

Inverter Charger, RV Inverter Charger | Power Products | Xantrex
Old 11-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #12

I have an inverter unit and a separate charger unit (see pictures). When you plug in the shore power the charger unit will automatically start charging the house battery. The Inverter is turned off by default. You have to manually turn it on with the toggle switch on the main control panel by the door.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3383[1].jpg   IMG_3384[1].jpg  

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #13

Converter converts 120 AC to 12VDC. Inverter converts 12VDC to 120AC. My inverter is only connected to my front TV outlet on my Redhawk 29XK.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #14

I ruined my new battery last winter by keeping my unit plugged in all winter. It boiled all the water out. I was thinking that whatever charged the coach battery would act more like a battery tender than an old fashioned charger. Guess I was wrong. Now when I don't use the unit for a while I hit the battery disconnect. I have removed the coach battery now for winter but have kept the unit plugged in so I can have a battery tender flowing through the 12V outlet to keep the battery full.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
I ruined my new battery last winter by keeping my unit plugged in all winter. It boiled all the water out. I was thinking that whatever charged the coach battery would act more like a battery tender than an old fashioned charger. Guess I was wrong. Now when I don't use the unit for a while I hit the battery disconnect. I have removed the coach battery now for winter but have kept the unit plugged in so I can have a battery tender flowing through the 12V outlet to keep the battery full.
We have always left our motorhomes plugged in 24/7. They were/are equipped with Progressive Dynamics converters/3-stage battery chargers. Most RVs have something very similar if not the same setup.

The battery water levels must be checked every 2 to 4 weeks.
We have had issues with batteries getting very dry during the summer months in storage here in Phoenix.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhawk01 View Post
Test your house battery. When mine went bad after only two years it made the leveling jacks go haywire even though i was plugged into shore power.
Ran into a similar problem this weekend where we "tripped" the 20 amp fuse and couldn't get it to reset even with shore power. No fuses blown and was kinda of thinking it could be the house battery. Once again only 2 year old battery.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #17

I just topped off the water in my coach battery last weekend. I've had my unit for 2 years now. I used one of those battery top-off tools to help make sure I got the levels right. My battery didn't take much water, but it did take some.

I was surprised to see the chassis battery was also not a sealed type. That battery took almost no water at all.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #18

I had the same problem in the Greyhawk 31FK. Smae error on the inverter, even when it was plugged in. Took the battery out and had it tested at Autozone and it had a bad cells. I replaced it and everything worked fine. These batteries, especially the ones being shipped in the coaches are not good quality and may not last long. The new battery I purchased at Autozone was $90 with the trade in, and has worked perfectly thus far.
TomE1963 is offline   Reply With Quote