Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
VKC

Mvp/mpg

Has anyone checked their miles per gallon on a 2018 29 MVP towing a vehicle compared to not towing? I rent a vehicle when I get to my destination but I am trying to decide if it is worth buying a toad.
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:13 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

The cost of a toad and all the hookup hardware can pay for a heck of a lot of rental vehicles.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #3

MVP Mileage w/toad

I bought a used 10,000lb Blue OX. Bought new tow equipment and had it installed as part of the "deal" on the used Cherokee (flat tow) I bought. It is great for extra storage and on makes a slight difference in mileage. I get 6 to 8 at highway speeds. I don't even know it's back there.
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:57 AM   #4

I flat tow a GMC Canyon. get about 7-8mpg keeping speed 65 or below. Without toad it gets about 9 mpg.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKC View Post
Has anyone checked their miles per gallon on a 2018 29 MVP towing a vehicle compared to not towing? I rent a vehicle when I get to my destination but I am trying to decide if it is worth buying a toad.
I have a 2017 29W GreyHawk (same chassis as yours) I just towed a Jeep Rubicon 4 door for 4500 miles and got 7.5 mpg, overall for the trip. When I have done this without the Jeep, I get between 8 to 9 mpg. I travel mostly 65-69 mph.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD615 View Post
I bought a used 10,000lb Blue OX. Bought new tow equipment and had it installed as part of the "deal" on the used Cherokee (flat tow) I bought. It is great for extra storage and on makes a slight difference in mileage. I get 6 to 8 at highway speeds. I don't even know it's back there.
Hey RGD, I have a 2019 Greyhawk MVP and and wondering how you loaded your second battery onto your rig.

My rig has the standard battery compartment for one battery and eventually I would like to add a second battery somewhere, preferably an AMG batteries. How do you install yours and can you submit any pictures, if you have them? Thanks!
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #7

Hey back Jaytalk, If it wasn't raining cats and dogs I'd get you some pictures. I will when I can back it out and be able to get to the bays. I do have two 12V AGMs. I had the 2nd installed by the dealer at the time of purchase. Didn't want to mess up any warranties. However, I have made extensive changes since the warranty expired. I would be happy to explain it then follow up with photos and future plans ….

But first...Is your 2019 a 29MV?
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29 MVP, 400Watt Solar (2)12V, 170ah Lithium "Big Batteries", Surge Protector RVi3 Tow System, TPMS, Real Gauge trip & engine code monitor, RoadMaster Steering Stabilizer, Tailgater Sat antenna, Wingard Connect 2 wifi-LTE roof mounted antenna, Soft-Start on ACs, Xantrex 2000 Watt Inverter
Arkansas
RGD615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
The cost of a toad and all the hookup hardware can pay for a heck of a lot of rental vehicles.
Correct ... if your toad is a "one-trick-pony". But if your toad is also your daily driver, which you would own anyway, that cost differential becomes a LOT thinner.

As for mileage towing the toad vs not, IMO, it's not all that significant. I can't give you exact figures because no two trips are the same for us. Sometimes we're towing, sometimes not. Sometimes running the generator, sometimes not. And any combination thereof, along with other factors like wind and terrain (which can have a much more drastic effect on fuel economy), and all can happen in the same trip.

I figure I'm getting between 7 and 8 overall, and I'm okay with that...

What I can say is that I tend to go faster without the Jeep in tow, so any mileage differential is taken up by the increased speed when I'm not towing.

All of that being said, it tows beautifully, and sometimes I indeed forget it's back there. IMO, the fuel mileage difference is WAY down on the decision matrix regarding whether to tow a dinghy or not. Other factors and costs are MUCH more significant.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
VKC

Thanks That answers a lot of my questions. I’m searching for a toad now
VKC is offline   Reply With Quote