Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

My dealer said no toppers (2017 29ME)

Dropped our Greyhawk 29ME last week for some minor fixes and asked them to estimate adding slide toppers. We had a quote from a different place that works on all kinds of RVs as well as stores them, rents and sells consignment models.

They came back with a little over $2200 for all three. The dealer emailed to advise, and I quote ~

"Unfortunately your unit does not have enough clearance
to support slideout toppers."

Interesting that the other place advised I would need the shorter covers (flush mounted?) in order to clear the awning but the dealer doesn't think I can install them at all? Surprising since only one slide, the passenger side, has a clearance problem. Attached pic shows about a 2-3 inch width between.

Two questions:
1. Would it be better to at least install the other two over the driver side and the rear slide?
2. Has no one ever had slide toppers installed on all 3 for a 29ME model?

Curious. Maybe we will go the selfie stick method and 90 degree broom instead...
Attached Thumbnails
Slide-2.jpg  
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #2

That's your dealers way of saying they don't want to do it.

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
That's your dealers way of saying they don't want to do it.

Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
We took our Greyhawk to get toppers today. They put the driver side topper on with no problem but we had the same awning touching problem but they are ordering a shorter one that will be there tomorrow so we go back tomorrow. Hopefully all is well tomorrow

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:18 AM   #4

I have a 29 ME, with some research last summer I determined that the best slideout cover to fit the limited clearance is the sideout Kover lll made by carefree. The brackets are positioned more inward, thus allowing an option to mount on the awning side. Of course they are a lot more expensive than the others.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
I have a 29 ME, with some research last summer I determined that the best slideout cover to fit the limited clearance is the sideout Kover lll made by carefree. The brackets are positioned more inward, thus allowing an option to mount on the awning side. Of course they are a lot more expensive than the others.
The topper originally ordered when moved over to make room for the awning then stuck out 10 inches to the left so they are just ordering a shorter width. Hope that works. We'll know when we pick it up today
Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
We took our Greyhawk to get toppers today. They put the driver side topper on with no problem but we had the same awning touching problem but they are ordering a shorter one that will be there tomorrow so we go back tomorrow. Hopefully all is well tomorrow

Got our toppers put on today including the one next to the awning. No problem.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:

Love to hear how that turned out and what model you have? Maybe we will have to drive south (from Dallas) to get this done!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #8

Just picked up my 2016 29ME and after a battle with the wizards at Camping World told them to use Carefree of Colorado for the 2 side toppers. The rear can be a standard topper. I am really happy with how they turned out. Bear in mind there is not much room beside the awning - so make sure the installer watches this.
ncbomaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #9

Did you use the Carefree "SideOut Kover III"?
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 03-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Got our toppers put on today including the one next to the awning. No problem.
Which ones did you order?
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 04-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #11

yes
Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #12

Ditto Carefree

We are having the Carefree Kover III's installed on our 29ME next month. Very much looking forward to not having to climb up on the roof every trip to sweep the slides and hoping to see a significant temperature control difference when we camp down South.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
We are having the Carefree Kover III's installed on our 29ME next month. Very much looking forward to not having to climb up on the roof every trip to sweep the slides and hoping to see a significant temperature control difference when we camp down South.
We also have toppers
Old 05-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #14

Photo Please

Can someone with the Passenger side Carefree Sideout III post an image for me. I am running into problems with the dealer now. They are clearly not familiar with the product as they are claiming I need 2.5" of clearance. I sent them the Product photo from Carefree that shows the hardware mounted about 1" inside of the Flange.

If you know the dimension of the topper you installed, that would help too!

This is the third dealer I have been to trying to get these toppers. Amazing to me that none of them seem to know that this is an option. I know the 29ME is not the only RV with this issue and it is an easy excuse to sell you the MOST expensive slide topper on the market!!!!

Old 05-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #15

We just had toppers installed on our MH. We tried to have them installed by our dealer, Camping World, when we first purchased it. They gave us a quote but then told us that it couldn't be done!!! Fast-forward 2 years - found a great dealer in Indiana who installed with Carefree in 3 hours at $400 less than our original CW quote. Agree - when they say they can't, they just won't. I'm sure our Camping World probably used Dometic and were just too lazy to do the research on other manufacturers.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #16

Glad to know I was not the only one whose dealer said they 'couldn't' install on the 29ME. Sheesh.

We have used a combination of a selfie stick and iPhone to look for debris and if there is some, a conical leaf gutter blower, rechargeable, that attaches to an extendable fiberglass painting pole. A little unwieldy but less expensive than the slide toppers for now.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Old 05-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #17

Thanks to Carefree

Alright, a quick shout out to Bill Dunning at Carefree of Colorado. I sent him photos of the 29ME and he helped me direct CW as to what product they need to order.

The slide flange to flange is 103" and the roof is 97". He advised that to handle the clearance issues go with the 103" model which provides 98" of fabric. So there is not much extra there to cover a sideways rain but still a vast improvement over nothing at all. There is a 105" option which I considered going with and then offsetting it to one side, but stuck with the 103 for aesthetics. My product number is UP09462JV. That is for Black components, black vinyl fabric and the full cover.

As others have said... CW seems to by Dometic biased, that is the product they know so that is what they quote. After showing them the product they were happy to order and install for me. Final price for all 3 is $2238 installed. Certainly more expensive then Dometic, but I think it is a better product. The full cover is a huge benefit to me. My existing awning is only three years old and has a strip of eternabond running the full length due to small tears that can't be avoided when travelling the narrow treed roads of Provincial/State parks. My Slide toppers will not have that issue

Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #18

We were obsessed with getting toppers. Our last trailer had them, and they saved us many times when we were in areas with lots of leaves or pine needles. In our motorhome, it's good for not only debris; but when it rained the other night, we didn't feel like someone was beating on our slide roof with little hammers. Before, the rain sounded more like hail, especially on the bedroom slide. We feel it's worth every penny spent.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #19

They probably do not know what day it either lol!
Attached Thumbnails
RV Tech.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:42 PM   #20

I have all 3 on my 29ME and the 2 sides are from Carefree of Colorado - the rear can be a stock topper