Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

My first road trip!

Getting ready to take my first road trip in my Jayco Redhawk 23XM. I want to be sure that I properly have my restroom facilities setup. Would someone please tell me exactly how this is done? Just need to be sure the toilet is operative while on the road. Thanks in advance for your help!!!
ntredme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

Just make sure you have some water in the fresh water tank and your valves are set to pull water from it. I usually carry about 10 gallons of water in my tank.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

Thanks! What positions should the two switches be in when I start to add water to the tank?
Old 09-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Pretty sure it's the combination that says "Normal" I don't have a Redhawk so going on memory from my FIL's camper. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly if I'm wrong...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

I have the 2016 Redhawk. If you open the little compartment just above water hose inlet there is a board there that the shows the valve directions for the various distributions of water. You have to have the valves (2 of them) in the right position in order to get water in the tank and then you place the valves in I believe it is the Normal position which I think is 3 and 5 positions shown on the board. It is very clear when you open the little compartment door. Finally you can go inside and flush once to make sure water is coming into the toilet bowl for flush.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Thank you!
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #7

Make sure you add a little water to your black tank. I have a 9 gallon black tank and add about a gallon or two. This keeps solids and paper from sticking so badly. I also add a few tablespoons of water softener. If we stay with no dump more than a day or two I then add liquid black water treatment.
The longer you stay with no dumping, the more I would add only if you notice a smell.

Don't forget to dump and if possible rinse your black tank and dump the grey tank. Not a nice thing to do in your driveway. If you forget some towns have a public dump station or you will have to stop at a RV camp along the way.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

First you want to have about an 1/8 to a 1/4 fresh water in your tank. On my rig, you attach the hose and set the dials to city fill. Fill your fresh water then set your switches to normal setting. This setting enables you to use the on board pump in route. When you start you trip, make sure you have the pump switched to on so the toilet will flush and the spigots will work. You don't want to completely fill the fresh water if possible cause your adding 10 pounds per gallon weight. Before the trip, as others have said, hold down the flush on the toilet and get at least a couple inches of water in the black tank, and also add a bottle of Thetford waste emulsifier to it. Never let the black tank go dry at any time, even when parked between trips. Always at least 2 inches water and chemical. When the water and chemical are in there, the movement of the rig creates a washing machine action that helps scour the bottom of the tank clean. When you dump your tanks at the end of the trip, dump black tank first then grey tank.( I suppose that's obvious but figured I'd throw it in anyway). Then refill with 2 inches and chemical again. You have to manage that crapper right or big trouble Have fun.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote