Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

My Jayco came through...

My Jayco came through for us....

The storm roared up the east coast...the one with the name no one can pronounce...and BOOM BOOM OUT GOES THE LIGHTS .

Ran an extension cord into the house and plugged in the freezer and fridge...oh, and the coffee pot.....then fired up the Onan.

Well, we have a well. That means after a few flushes there is no water. No brushing your teeth, no shower, no washing dishes....and I was sweating and stinking because I was chainsawing a tree that fell. But, no problem, I had water in my fresh water tank and could take a hot shower. I'm smelling pretty good with my Old Spice Swagger body wash.

Heck, I could even watch TV on my Jayco installed Furrion. Did the auto search and found all kinds of weird stations. Gotta push the button and get the light to come on.
I even charged my phone and Mac book. Back up to 100%.

Yes, the micro-wave and propane stove cooked my meals....

Then it dawned on me, I was boondocking in my front yard. But I did go out for a Way Back Burger. Man are they delicious....almost as good as an In and Out Burger.

Then click, click beep, buzz...the power came back on. Wrapped up the extension cords and powered down the Onan. My Jayco came through for me.

Just for the record, during the power outage I was peeing outside against a tree...the wife, not so much.

Anyone else have a story?
Old 08-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Team

It is really good to hear your story. We also use our trailer nearly anytime we have an extended power outage, even in the winter. Fire up the generator and have lights, hot water, a place to watch tv, etc. Even in the winter, as long as we have enough gas and propane, we will use the trailer until power is restored. I often wonder how we made it through those times before we had one.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

We're on the west side of NY state, so probably won't get any of it, but did enjoy the story about your "Plan B" working out so well.

Way back when we got the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, a neighbors large tree decided to fall into our yard. Took out a fence, destroyed our large deck, and some small stuff like gutters, etc. My takeaway from that is don't keep your chainsaws in the garage, that you can't get into, when a tree blocks all the doors, and no power for the openers. Just sayin'...

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

That’s why I always keep my water tank full, both at home and when traveling cause you never know when you might need it. A few years ago 27 powerpoles got knocked down in a storm and the power was out for 6 days. Our RV was our lifeboat.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

We took a pounding on the coast from the storm. Not much rain, but the wind did a banzai on the trees, and ripped out a ton of wires. Power went out around 1 PM yesterday. After a few hours, it was clear power wasn't coming back online. We have underground wires, so it's rare that the power stays out long term.

Dragged out my propane genny and plugged it into the transfer switch, it fired right up and a bunch of circuits inside the house came alive. Kept fridges cold, but no A/C.... was already thinking of heading to the rig for a nice cool night, but, the temps weren't bad, so we toughed it out in the house overnight.

Today, power still out, and it was a 90 degree day. If the power stayed off, into the coach we were going. I had went out earlier, fired up the Onan, and started to pre-cool the rig. Then just as I was getting ready to make the transition to the rig, since the house temp had climbed over 80 degrees, around 3:30 PM, power came back on..

So, we didn't get the chance to camp in the driveway... oh well, but it definitely was reassuring, knowing we had "Plan B" sitting in the driveway.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Back when I was a kid, we lived in Houston and the eye of hurricane Alicia passed directly over our house. It was one of the most interesting experiences of my life. We were fine. Neighbors lost a few trees. Other neighbors lost parts of their homes, roofs, etc. We had plenty of camping gear, so when the power went out, we grabbed our lanterns, cooked on the white gas Coleman stoves, etc. We had filled the tubs with water before it all, as well as a few of our portable water jugs, so we had plenty of clean water. I think the power was out for a few days, maybe a week.

More recently, we were traveling with the TT when Hurricane Harvey was battering the TX coast. Our last stop on the way home was Tulsa. I had been watching the weather for a few days, and when it was time to head home, we decided it wouldn't be safe. We ended up staying in Tulsa an extra 3 days waiting for Harvey to finish his business. Thankfully we had our trailer. Every day I just went down to the CG office and said "I need another night, we still can't go home". But it was not so bad because we were in our camper (our rolling home). We had all OUR stuff and remained comfortable the entire time. I traveled with a generator back then too, so we were completely self-contained if we needed to be. I was SO glad we got stuck with our trailer instead of trying to make it in a hotel, especially since we had our dog along with us...

Where we live now, in over 11 years, I can count on one hand the number of times we've lost power, and not one of those times was more than 5 minutes. But if we need it, I have multiple clear paths to the motorhome, and I always store it with a full tank of treated fuel, and usually some water in the tank. Always keep a couple changes of clothes in there too. And growing up the way I did, we always keep extra supplies like food and water on hand. It's always been my plan to go grab it if/when we need it.

Even more recently with all this COVID business going on, it was our plan if one of us fell ill with the virus to quarantine in the camper in the driveway. While it's not quite as nice as a full-hookup site, I have the resources to run my rig in the driveway with full functionality, including 50A power and sewer provisions.

It's SUPER comforting to know we have that resource if we need it for whatever reason.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote